Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

Any Bianchi Infinito CV owners with bottom bracket creaking, squeaking ad grinding noises? Has anyone tried using Praxis conversion kit rather than BB cups (Campy for 2012-2014 Record 11 see).

Thanks

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Greetings all,

Any Bianchi Infinito CV owners with bottom bracket creaking, squeaking ad grinding noises? Has anyone tried using Praxis conversion kit rather than BB cups (Campy for 2012-2014 Record 11 see).
Does the grinding occur (can you feel it) when you turn the cranks by hand? If yes then it is a BB problem. If not then it could be a chain issue that seems like it's coming from the BB. Beyond that it is a matter of getting the cups firmly in the frame and all threads well-greased. If these are press-fit cups then maybe they need to be reinstalled with something like LockTite.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The grinding occurs only while riding the hills and seated. Out of the saddle the noise becomes creaking and squeaking. Yes, the cups are press fit (PF-30). I do not feel any grinding when turning the cranks by hand. As of matter of fact no grinding on flat roads and low grade climbs (2 to 5%). It is an on and off noise rather than continuous.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not Bianchi, but on my Cannondale I've had this due to 1) flexing the frame or crankset sufficiently to cause the chain to rub on the front derailleur each time my right leg exerted high load 2) flexing the frame sufficiently to cause a slight twist in the chain stays leading to rubbing with the rear disc brakes (which had very marginal clearance due to a piston issue).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for tip and feedback. My Bianchi has no disc brakes. Flexing the frame/crankset to cause the chain to rub against the front der. might be the more plausible explanation despite not being able to see the chain from rubbing the front der. while riding. I am not quite sure being 128 pounds (weight wise), I can flex rear end of the frame to bring on the grinding noise. This grinding noise started very recently (a couple of weeks ago) as I have had the bike since late December 2015. The frame was bought brand new (2016 model) and built by a local bike shop in San Diego county with Parlee Cups rather than the Cup cups. I was in favor of the Praxis BB conversion kit for the PF30/Campy Ultra Torque crankset but the mechanic talked me out of it and instead used the Parlee Cups. The Praxis BB (PF30) might not fit into the shell of the frame due to a lip/ledge inside the shell that might interfere with the insertion of the plastic sleeve. Still trying to find if any Infinito CV owner(s) had the same issue or not.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What year is you Infinito CV? Do you know if your frame BB shell has a lip/ledge? I am assuming that if it did, it has not interfered with the Praxis conversion kit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What year is you Infinito CV? Do you know if your frame BB shell has a lip/ledge? I am assuming that if it did, it has not interfered with the Praxis conversion kit.
It's a 2015 and I built the bike myself but I'm not sure what you mean by lip/ledge. In any case, nothing interfered with the Praxis installation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have not seen the lip/ledge inside the BB shell but was told by the mechanic who tried to install the Praxis Plastic Sleeve. When I went to pick up the bike the mechanic already put in the Campy Cups and told me he could not use the Praxis BB. I am not sure if Praxis sent me the wrong plastic sleeve that's supposed to work with the PF30/Campy Ultra Torque cranks. Tomorrow I am having another mechanic take a look a it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Celesteplatic,
I don't have any remedies at this point but I have experienced what sounds like the exact same issue. I have ridden a little over 10,000 miles on this bike (2014 Infinito CV). Unfortunately, over the last 500 miles or so I have noticed an increasingly loud creaking coming from the bottom bracket area when pedaling under pressure (typically any type of incline). This first started as an intermittent creaking but it has now become constant. I have taken the following remedies to isolate the issue hoping to resolve the sound to no avail:

• Replaced Campagnolo Ultra Torque cranks (creaking/knocking sound present with both Chorus and Super Record compact cranksets
  • Removed and reinstalled per manufacturer's spec the PF30 Ultra Torque adapters with Loctite 609 compound
  • Reapplied carbon fiber installation compound on seatpost and seatpost tube
  • Reapplied Loctite compound to seat clamp bolts
  • All bolts have been tightened to manufacturer's recommended torque levels
  • Replaced Speedplay pedals
After taking the above actions with no improvement in the sound, I'm convinced it's coming from the frame at or near the bottom bracket. I don't believe there is any other drive train related equipment that I can replace or re-grease to fix this issue. One other piece of evidence that leads me to this conclusion is the fact that the sound temporarily ceases when I shift (both up and down) but quickly returns when I reach my normal cadence under strain/pressure.

This has now extended beyond my mechanical capabilities and unfortunately think it's a warranty issue but would love to hear what your mechanic comes back to you with. Please keep this post updated!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had this happen to me before. And I had some mud on my face when we found out that most of the noise came from loose bolts on my shoes. It was not easy to own up to the mistake. Lucky for me the LBS owner is a very nice guy and a friend. It is still a running joke.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gpratt38,

My mechanic pulled the BB and checked everything and greased what needs to be greased. He also checked and serviced the rear Zipp 202 hub. The bike was quiet for three days only. The minute I had to replace the rear tire for a flat spot of 4 to 5 inches and remounted the rear wheel the creaking, squeaking and clicking returned. According to Zipp the tolerance for the tension pressing the caps of the hub is quite small as I have found out the hard way. I did 45 mile on Saturday and I had to stop six times to remount the rear wheel. Every time I changed the tension of the skewers the noise changed accordingly from clicking, to creaking to squeaking. The online retail store has offered to warranty the wheels. Exactly what that means I am not quite sure. We also noticed how rough and uneven the spinning of the spindle (bearings) of the rear hub with the campy cassette on and once we took off the cassette the bearings felt very smooth. I am not sure why the campy cassette is causing such problem unless the campy free hub body that came with the zipp 202 wheel is defective. If I tighten the skewer with a little bit more tension the squeaking goes away when I am out of the saddle but the creaking continues while seated. I have also noticed a change in the shifting and was wondering if my cables stretched and had the mechanic check the cables and housing as well as the der. The bike is less than 7 months old and it was bought brand new and the Campy record 11 speed group. I sent the wheels back to the retail on line store per their request. I have been looking at the Bora one 35 wheels (clincher) but heard that mounting a tire can be difficult compared to the zipp, mavic and other wheels on the market. Is it possible that the Bianchi Infinito CV drop out and fork are not compatible with the Zipp wheels? I guess it is time to get back on the Bianchi Piinella bike (boronsteel) while I wait for the wheels to come back as I am not sure if I want to invest in another set of carbon wheels if they are going to be as unreliable as the Zipp 202.

I do have the 2016 Zipp 202 wheels and have been using Salsa skewers as the ones that came with the wheels were recalled a while ago. I tried Shimano, Bontrager and the replacement Zipp skewers to no avail. Life was a lot simpler riding steel bikes….unfortunately, I have another Infinito CV frameset (bran new) as back up but not thinking about building that frame any time soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this happen to me before. And I had some mud on my face when we found out that most of the noise came from loose bolts on my shoes. It was not easy to own up to the mistake. Lucky for me the LBS owner is a very nice guy and a friend. It is still a running joke.

Thanks! I will try replacing the cleats which are overdue by many miles. I'm using Speedplay which I've heard has the creaking issue. Hopefully this does the trick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very frustrating if it is indeed the wheel. That shouldn't be happening with such new wheels. The sound could possibly be coming from the rear hub (at this point I'm so unsure but with carbon, it's an echo chamber so I've been told).

I'm going to try changing out the cleats on my Speedplay. After that, I'm losing options.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
This was happening to me on my POS Cannondale. I replaced the garbage FSA BB30 crank and installed a Wheels MFG adapter and replaced the crank with a Shimano crank. Still creaked.
Long story short, I tightened my seatpost. Made sure the collar was all the way down and tight. Problem solved. Wasn't the BB at all.

This also just happened to a friend of mine on his Giant Defy. He had taken the BB all apart. I told him to check his seatpost. He pulled it, put some carbon paste on it, problem solved.

Might not be your problem, but what you are describing and when, is pretty much what both of us were experiencing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The creaking, squeaking, clicking and grinding was all coming from the 7 month old 2016 Zipp 202 rear hub. Another fantastic mechanic in San Diego county has seen too many Zipp wheels with hubs that require regular service and maintenance. This current generation of rear hubs has very low tolerance for pressure when closing the skewers (not the recalled Zipp) but with any after market (Shimano, Bontregar, Salsa.....etc.).The loaner wheels (2013 Easton carbon) have completely eliminated all unwanted noises and the bike is as quiet as my Boronsteel Bianchi Pinella of 10 years old. The Zipp 202 wheelset was shipped back to Competitive Cyclist for warranty/replacement. It is a shame that a brand new Zipp 202 did not serve me well as I never expected such a high end (perhaps overpriced as most wheels are!) wheel to become so problematic so fast. I wish Zipp would send me a brand new set of 202 rims only so that I can build them with DT Swiss/Chris King hubs. Too bad Campy does not make 18/24 hole hubs. I am not sure about the quality and reliability of the Campy hub that comes with the Vento wheel. I am contemplating getting the Campy Bora One 35 or Ultra but wants to make sure mounting a tire is not going to be as challenging as the neutron and shamal which is the only reason I ditched for Mavic and Zipp. I have found out that some Italian made Boras have a slightly different spec than those made in Romania. The Bontrager Aeolus 3 might be another option. However, the Campy Bora will complement the Bianchi Infinito Cv's campy drive train......stay tuned

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Springs,
Here is what Zipp sent to the warranty/return department at Competitive Cyclist regarding my Zipp 202 wheels. I must say without any reservation that is quite absurd with all due respect to Zipp. Hope you will be able to cypher the jargon as I never experienced such a problem with Campy, Mavic, Easton to name few. I have been riding for over 20 years and this is a first for me as well. However, let’s keep an open mind that bad batches and lemons are quite plausible in this continuously evolving cottage industry. I have been averaging 200 to 250 a week since I built the Bianchi Infinito CV with the Zipp 202 wheels. Let me know your thoughts once you get a chance to review Zipp’s explanation highlighted in yellow.

In regards to his rear wheel having issues upon reinstallation every time he takes it off and his shifting acting up: The rear wheel utilizes end caps much like a mountain bike hub, they pull on and off easily so that you can make 1 hub work on 10mm, 12mm, and quick release axles. So when he pulls the wheel off and tilts it to the cassette side, my bet is that the end cap slips outboard of the wheel (and would cause the entire freehub body (with cassette attached) to move outboard from the hub shell. If he were to make sure this was pressed fully together prior to inserting the wheel, my bet is that issue would go away, don’t forget to make sure that the gutter seal on the freehub body isn’t pinched when doing so.

As for the squeaky wheel, is it possible we have a bearing going bad in these? While I don’t think a bearing would go badly so quickly, it can happen, and I would be happy to cover them if need be. Can he remove the freehub and end caps and spin the bearings by hand, a bad bearing should feel rough or have a notch to it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts