Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a chrome finish Pista a couple of years ago. Great fun. But taking a close look while I was cleaning it the other day, and I have some questions about maintenance:

1. Frame - I noticed a little rust on the frame. Now I understand that the finish is not really chrome but is clearcoated steel--is this true? If so, what should I do about these rusty spots.

2. Headset--Oddly (for a bike in this price range), it looks like it's got an integrated headset--what's it take to overhaul/replace this puppy?

thanks,
Kalukis

·
Registered
330 Posts
1. If it is chrome (I do not know but would assume so), then use 000-0000 steel wool to polish and remove surface pitting. You can buy this at any good paint or hardware store. A good coat of paste wax should be applied to prevent further oxidation.

2. I don't know what headset they use but (again assuming) would think it's a sealed bearing unit. That would only need to be be properly adusted to work right. If it has caged balls, then strip, inspect for damage, and regrease and assemble if not damaged, or replace if it is.

·
Registered
656 Posts
if it looks like this:

Then

1) It is crome not clear coated steel -> try crome polish
2) That headset is not integrated just threadless. The Pista Concept has an integrated headset. Check Park for more that you would need to know about servicing a headset.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Your Pista is indeed chrome, and not a clearcoated raw steel frame. If it was the latter, you'd see discoloration at the welds, like on raw BMX frames. Light steel wool and some good o' Turtle Wax paste ought to get 'er shining in no time. Or try an abrasive car wax and get it done all in one step.
Headset replacement requires a headset press to remove the old cups and press in the new ones. Overhaul is just bearing replacement unless the cups are pitted. Anything more than replacing or re-greasing the balls might be best done in a shop.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help!

Thanks.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Meguiar's NXT Polysh (not a typo, that's how they spell it for some reason) is a good OTC product that will do what you need it to. It also leaves a bit of polymer protection behind so it will stay pretty for longer. ColorX will do basically the same thing if you can find it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts