Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody put a rear brake on a Bianchi Pista. I know it's got a rear seat stay bridge, but I wonder if it's strong enough to drill, or even more important if it's space close enough.

The reason I ask is because I want to race my Pista in a few Crits. and you know the USCF rules about haeing 2 brakes and the most painful I'll also have to use a freewheel . . . Why 1 Speed? . . . Why Not?

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
You'll find out why a freewheel is necessary after you take your first high speed turn while having to still pedal. If you take the same line as geared riders, you'll probably strike a pedal. If you take a line where you won't strike a pedal you'll probably cause a pile up.

As for the rear brake bridge... the piece used probably isn't sufficient for braking forces so I wouldn't, just my 2 cents.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
rules

Chompers said:
Has anybody put a rear brake on a Bianchi Pista. I know it's got a rear seat stay bridge, but I wonder if it's strong enough to drill, or even more important if it's space close enough.

The reason I ask is because I want to race my Pista in a few Crits. and you know the USCF rules about haeing 2 brakes and the most painful I'll also have to use a freewheel . . . Why 1 Speed? . . . Why Not?
While you can used a fixed gear bike with only a front brake for a time trial, not for a road race/crit. Only bikes with a freewheel and 2 brakes can be used. So, why not just use a regular road bike? If you must, just leave it in one gear.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Chomp, I don't mean to lecture you, but while I'm fimly in the camp of "fixed gear for everything," I can't imagine a worse tool for a crit race. Imagine yourself cornering in a tight pack at 30 mph. Do you really want to be the guy who crabs a pedal and ends the season for three or four (or twelve) other guys? Try to swing out wide for that corner, and you'll be bumping elbows with some pissed-off racers who are more than likely going to bump back. Hard. Singlespeed it if you must (and be prepared to be spit out the back on lap 2), but IMO, riding a crit fixed is irresponsible. Find a velodrome and feed the need there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.