Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm a beginner looking forward to getting into road-biking, and am trying to decide between the 2008 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Car Tiagra(http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI298C14-Bianchi+Via+Nirone7+Carbon+Tiagra+Bike08.aspx), and the 2008 Bianchi Axis Lx Tiagra Cyclocross bike(http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI298C36-Bianchi+Axis+Lxtiagra+Cyclocross+Bike08.aspx). Both bikes are available at jensonUSA for around $900.
What is the weight difference between the two bikes? Is the Axis almost as fast as the Via Nirone? I dont plan to race, but would like to go up to about 20 mile rides, and possibly ride with groups. I would like a comfortable(slightly upright ride).
I would also be doing some paved bikepaths and light cruising with my wife.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carbon with Ultegra/105 and am about to pull the trigger on a BIanchi Volpe for commuting (similar to the Axis, but with a steel frame). The difference between the Axis and the Via Nirone is mostly in the utility of the bikes. The Via Nirone is a road bike. It has slick tires on it, it's designed for riding on the roads. The Axis is a cyclocross-style bike, with slightly wider tires and able to do both road riding and a bit of off-road riding (dirt paths & hopping over curbs).

I love my Via Nirone, it is a great bike for doing long distances. I often ride between 20 and 30 miles and it's just an incredible bike. But if you want something that might work better for a little bit of off the road or hopping curbs riding or even a "do everything" kind of bike - the Axis would likely be a better choice. You can put slick tires on the Axis and have it as a road bike.

Hope this helps. They're both great bikes!

·
Registered
2 Posts
old thread, but I have a question:

just getting into road riding. I currently have a trek mtn bike with fat 26 x 1.95 slick tires on it. the area I ride is very hilly, I ride 20-30 miles on average and the bike does ...."ok" I found an axis on craigs list locally and I'm wondering if this will be a better bike for me, I see it's an "18 speed" how will this do on the hilly roads I'm riding? my current mtn bike has very low gearing for climbing but runs out quick on the downhills?

Thanks for any advice for this beginer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.