Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys,

I have been on my road bike for a few years now and I can't seem to get my hands on "the pair of bibs" that will make centuries not be such a pain the...well you get the drift.

I looked up some reviews on Assos by the recommendation of a friend and saw that some people were fans of the following: Assos F1.13 Bibshort & the Assos Prosline Bib Shorts.

I cannot find the latter any where...including the Assos sight. Some help please.

And if you're feeling really generous, throw in your 2 cents worth on shoes. I have some Shimano's that I bought a few years ago (paid a little over $100) and am in the market for some more.

Thanks people.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I ride the FI-13 S2, It's the only bib I wear anymore cost twice what others do but worth every penny. I'm 46 years old and I don't want a sore ass.

There are many bibs out there in a sensible price that work, Santini makes several good quality bibs. Casteli also.

I wear Carnac shoes, again really like them. Sidi's are well reported, also Shimano.. if I were to look at another pair I would try the Nike's out.

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
I have a couple of Assos FI-Mille A.360 Bib Shorts and one pair of Roubaix Knickers and I've found them to be excellent for the long haul. Price can be an issue, they do need tender love and care when you wash them and I've had to do some hand stitch repairs to all of my Assos gear at on point. On the other hand I've found that for me they can't be beat on cut/fit and comfort. I plan on getting/trying a couple pair of Assos FI-Uno Bib Shorts next because they seem reasonably priced. If they don't make the grade quite like the FI-Mille Bibs then I'm confident that they'll still be good for shorter every day rides.

I use Sidi shoes and I like them. They fit my wide feet and they're tough as nails.

·
Registered
635 Posts
our team uses louis garneau bibs and pretty much everyone seems to like them. a fair amount of our team (myself included) has selle italia saddles (flight or slr). fizis's are also quite popular. i have a pair of casteli bibs i love for longer rides as well.

i ride the specialized bg comp road shoes w/ ratchet system. they are really comfy and stiff. if u want to drop the money the nicer model has carbon soles.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
ditto on the saddle...

orange_julius said:
Have you thought about getting a new saddle instead of a new pair of bibs?

I have a pair of Hincapie bibs, which I really like. One of the problems I had when I got back on my bike in March after having hip surgery is having a sore rear. I went though my entire stash of saddles (I have about 8 or 9) and the only one that feels comfortable right now is my S.I. Flite or Flite Gel. The Aspide I was using when I crashed is too lightly padded. My Rolls or Regal are too wide. After experimenting with a lot of saddles and using my Hincapie bibs and my Voler Team shorts I think it has more to do about the saddle. I use some Performance Classic Spice shorts, which don't have much padding and they seem to work o.k...my wife works as a volunteer at a cancer society thrift shop and found the brand new Hincapie bibs in the women's lingerie section on sale for $6.99 (half off day). I would not mind owning a couple more of the Hincapie bibs, but at $130 a pop they are too pricey for me..I've had good luck with the Voler Team Shorts. They seem to wear like iron..however I think it has more to do about the saddle....probably more to do about both..

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
rocco said:
I plan on getting/trying a couple pair of Assos FI-Uno Bib Shorts next because they seem reasonably priced. If they don't make the grade quite like the FI-Mille Bibs then I'm confident that they'll still be good for shorter every day rides.
my F1-Uno's have done the trick on a variety of 150+ km rides. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
ive got the Assos : FI13, MILLE, AND UNO as well as some other good quality bibs. the Mille is probably the one you want for those century rides. it has more thickness in the padding than the FI 13. the new EQUIPE bib also shares the MILLE pad but is all black on the outside. For what its worth, I have a FIZIK Aliante Carbon saddle. it was the best money spent upgrading my bike. similar shape to the Flite but much more comfy. it takes out a lot of the road vibration

·
Registered
204 Posts
Another ditto on the saddle. Have been riding my Fizik Arione for the last few months with no problems at all. Yesterday, I took out my old ride with an Aliante (sp?) saddle for a mere 15 miles. Today I have the beginnings of a saddle sore - the real kind that is kind of a welt. Very nice.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Some of the best words of advice I ever heard are

If the seat fits right you don't need a lot of padding. If you need a lot of padding, the seat doesn't fit right. With these words in mind, I ride on a firm saddle with a thin chamois and do some rides longer than 100 miles. Try a different seat, or tinkering with the angle on the one you have, and getting a little weight off your butt.

Soes fit or don't fit feet. My preference is Diadora, but that has little or nothing to do with you beyond saying that they're stiff enough and light enough to work well without costing as much as a rear wheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.