Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
(not a real racer)
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bib short chafing on the "you know what" (don't read if you're offended by guy parts)

So I spent the cash for a good pair of bib shorts. Wow what a difference, amazing truly. I'm a happy camper for sure. One issue with them though.... I've always gone commando in my cheapie bike shorts with no problem but now I'm getting some bad chafing on the twig & berries, well the end of the twig specifically. Since I "point" forward when I'm riding the back and forth motion of pedaling causes the lycra to rub me raw. I was coming back from a 40 mile ride today when I noticed the pain. Yeah, the ride home was quite uncomfortable....
Anyone else have this problem??? What's the solution?? I love the bibs but I don't think a jock & a protective cup is going to work down there. :mad2:

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
For any ride longer than 20 miles, I find it absolutely necessary to use chamois cream on all the tender bits.

Just slater it on the skin and work it in.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I really just apply it to my bits, but I have been told by my coach you are supposed to apply it to the pad as well. I figure if it's on me, I'm protected, but if you just apply it to the pad, then you run the chance of having what happened to you. I have never had a chaffing problem applying it to myself and not the shorts. YMMV

·
Registered
276 Posts
robbyracer said:
So I spent the cash for a good pair of bib shorts. Wow what a difference, amazing truly. I'm a happy camper for sure. One issue with them though.... I've always gone commando in my cheapie bike shorts with no problem but now I'm getting some bad chafing on the twig & berries, well the end of the twig specifically. Since I "point" forward when I'm riding the back and forth motion of pedaling causes the lycra to rub me raw. I was coming back from a 40 mile ride today when I noticed the pain. Yeah, the ride home was quite uncomfortable....
Anyone else have this problem??? What's the solution?? I love the bibs but I don't think a jock & a protective cup is going to work down there. :mad2:
I bought a set of Bibs...and they are awesome. Maybe it is your herpies acting up? Pour Poroxide on your franks and beans after each ride...just to punish yourself for getting herpies in the first place. : )

·
(not a real racer)
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking of a base layer to avoid the friction but I guess that would kinda be the same thing. Unless there's some kind made of smooth material. I'm pretty sure it's the abrasiveness of the lycra that's doing the chafing. I'll check out some of the cream for sure. Thanks for your suggestions. :)

·
(not a real racer)
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kawboy8 said:
I bought a set of Bibs...and they are awesome. Maybe it is your herpies acting up? Pour Poroxide on your franks and beans after each ride...just to punish yourself for getting herpies in the first place. : )
ROTFL!!!

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
I curl my snake around the front and under the eggs. Keeps the mouth away from abrasive areas.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
AH1 said:
I thought everyone just taped it to their calf??
It tends to rub on the end of the crank arm.

·
Registered
714 Posts
robdamanii said:
It tends to rub on the end of the crank arm.
Damn. I've got to call a ROTFL on this one.

To the OP: I just put the chamois butter on me and by me I mean Junior and the twins; whatever is left over on my hands I just rub on the chamois and throw it all on.

Never had any issues; as was said, never ride more than 20 miles without it. Personal experience I guess ymmv

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
You don't want to be pointing forward, point right or left and alow the shorts to hold you in place. Really wrinkled up and pointing ahead is sure to chafe. Sometimes it gets that way like you have been for a cold swim.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,340 Posts
wipeout said:
Now that would be an interesting topic of conversation when the nurse cuts off your bibs at the hospital.
Never mind the nurse--try explaining that to teh Mrs. hehe.

·
(not a real racer)
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How did I know some of this would go horribly off topic. Pointing forward is just it's natural position when riding. I pack to the left or right and it just ends up there. I can't wait to explain to the Mrs. why I'm rubbing cream on my unit before I ride. LOL

·
Registered
61 Posts
robbyracer said:
I can't wait to explain to the Mrs. why I'm rubbing cream on my unit before I ride. LOL
Explain? You better let me HELP. :aureola:

(I'm his wife, btw) (I thought I'd throw that in there, because if I didn't say anything, well it might derail this train a bit further) (which is fine, your comments are making me giggle)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.