Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased two pairs (and returned) of Hincapie Power bib shorts, because the stitching in the back part of the chamois is coming undone only after a few washed. I like the fit and feel, but the shorts are coming apart.

Any recommendation for bib shorts in the $80-$130 range?

Thanks....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like the Louis Garneau Fit Sensor bibs. I wear them for all the ultra distance stuff I do. They list for $100. I just bought another pair recently when Nashbar had a 25% off sale.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Stretching your price range a hair, but C-bike has the Assos F1 Uno for $144. $180 less 20% sale. Hard to beat and great bibs.

Jeff

·
Registered
658 Posts
Started out with Pearl izumi shorts... they were alright, but had a recent upgrade to some Descante bibs... not sure which style they are but they have a honey-comb like pattern inthe chamois that makes breath nice and they are super comfy.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Try Desoto 400 mile bib shorts. They retail for $144, but can be purchased through gearandtrainging.com with discount codes and free shipping from $107 to $121, depending on the code.

I've ridden assos, capo, exteondo, pearl izumi, descente, craft, demarchi, santini and countless others and I finally tried these last year. I now own 5 pairs of their bibs and I'll wear nothing else on rides over 50 miles.

They're also made in the USA.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Performance Elite-II Bib Shorts.
$60, awesome fit and chamois.Very comfortable and durable.

john

·
Registered
561 Posts
Why do people keep making these "which bib shorts" threads? Everyone always names EVERY brand out there. Assos, Rapha, Castelli, Sugoi, Giordanna, Etxe Ondo, etc, etc, etc.You're going to have to try them for yourself. Only you can decide what works for you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sugoi RS (haven't tried the new RSE yet). Awesome compression from the lycra blend.
My budget pick would be Giordana Silverline from one of the UK sellers.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Giordana Silverline

Take a look at these and try them on if you can. The chamois, formed and shaped, is extremely comfortable. The waistline at the front is fairly low and the mesh straps are place well out to the side and this combination for me allows maximum cooling. An interesting feature is that there is no gripper material at the leg ends. The panel materials is a compression type lycra and at the very end, a light and stretchier materail is used. The legs surprisingly don't ride up and the not having the grippers is a plus. Worth looking at a reasonably priced.

I do like Assos as well, my first bib's some 25+ years ago were Assos and I still have them today. Tried Pearl, didn't like them. Used to have a lot of Giordana's but they all eventually wore out and then the last 10 years have been mostly on Nalini. I find it's like shoes, you need to try them on. I also try to buy them on-sale as some of the newer top of the line models are a bit expensive for my taste.

·
Registered
37 Posts
jlwdm said:
Stretching your price range a hair, but C-bike has the Assos F1 Uno for $144. $180 less 20% sale. Hard to beat and great bibs.

Jeff
Thank you for the heads up. I just ordered another pair. Can never have to many of a good thing.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
As some have said, yeah, bibs can be a bit like saddles in that what some like, others don't.

I started out with some PIs that were okay. Then I got a pair of Biemmes, lower level ones. After reading all the good reviews I got some Assos Uno FIs. These work well for me and now they are pretty much all I wear (I'll use my other bibs on rainy days). I have three pairs of them and the same saddle on my road bikes so I know I'm guaranteed comfort.

I hand wash mine with Woollite and they look brand new after a year or two.

Oh, and if you watch the Euro dealers you can get them on sale for around $120 with free shipping when the currency rate is good. Wiggle, Ribble, etc. Considering how much I spend on bike stuff yeah, they aren't cheap, but they are certainly in the range of other high-end bibs from the better manufacturers. And considering how well they are holding up, I'll be set fora few years.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Try some Performance bibs. I have a pair of both the Ultra 2 and Elite and both are very well made and comfortable (for me) compared to bibs and shorts I have or have tried on which cost a lot more. I'd say I probably won't do any more experimenting because these are affordable and work for me. I've own two types of Garneau shorts, some PI bibs, and tried on a bunch of others over the years and these have worked out really well for me, and are pretty inexpensive.

One good thing is you can order them, try them and return them if you're not totally satisified. This is the only way to buy bibs since fit and chamois is personal.

The two types mentioned above are pretty different in fabric and chamois, but I happen to like both. Interestingly, the Elite has a more minimalist looking chamois, but it is turning out to be my favorite. The other is a close second, but is easily as comfortable or more comfortable than all of my others.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've tried so many bibs over the years and most do nothing for me after about 60 miles. Last week I received my Gore Power bibs I ordered recently. I've used them four times over 80 miles each time and they are amazing. The chamois moves with you,the straps fit well but don't put too much pressure on my shoulders, they wick very nicely, the length is perfect on the legs,leg grippers feel nice, etc.... They're about 115-130 here in the states but I bought them from PBK for 80 dollars a piece after using discount.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Another vote for the Desoto 400 mile bib. I haven't worn anything else since I got mine. Not even sure you really need a saddle with these:7:

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Camilo said:
Try some Performance bibs. I have a pair of both the Ultra 2 and Elite and both are very well made and comfortable (for me) compared to bibs and shorts I have or have tried on which cost a lot more. I'd say I probably won't do any more experimenting because these are affordable and work for me. I've own two types of Garneau shorts, some PI bibs, and tried on a bunch of others over the years and these have worked out really well for me, and are pretty inexpensive.

One good thing is you can order them, try them and return them if you're not totally satisified. This is the only way to buy bibs since fit and chamois is personal.

The two types mentioned above are pretty different in fabric and chamois, but I happen to like both. Interestingly, the Elite has a more minimalist looking chamois, but it is turning out to be my favorite. The other is a close second, but is easily as comfortable or more comfortable than all of my others.
I'll also vote for the Performance Elite, although I recently bought a Garneau bib on sale at Performance that I really like. I've found that I really don't like the Performance Ultra - too much padding and it moves around too much. But in the final analysis, it's what works for you!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I just started using Castelli Kiss 3 chamois this season. You can get them in their bibs from $80-125.. So far the stitching is holding. I like how the chamois actually stretches and contours around your body without bunching. I used to like Santini Twist -gels but now I prefer the Kiss.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
i am riding a pair of Santini CX bibs right now - they bother me, but i'm fat. i'll give the Performance one's a go.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I agree with Mdeth on this one. I have a pair of Desoto 400 miles and have done 2 centuries wearing them. They are indeed very comfortable on long rides.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
asciibaron said:
i am riding a pair of Santini CX bibs right now - they bother me, but i'm fat. i'll give the Performance one's a go.
The Performance ones work well for me and you can't argue with the price. They're all I wear anymore. My wife bought a pair of the Elite shorts and likes them better than the $200 Assos shorts I got her for her birthday :mad:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts