Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New rider, I just bought a bike and bib shorts. Is it inappropriate to wear the bib shorts without a shirt on top of it or do I need to put a t-shirt on? I wanted to tan up a little before summer. Of course I'll be on the bike.

· wut?
14,624 Posts
lawrence said:
New rider, I just bought a bike and bib shorts. Is it inappropriate to wear the bib shorts without a shirt on top of it or do I need to put a t-shirt on? I wanted to tan up a little before summer. Of course I'll be on the bike.
If you wear bibs with no shirt at all (no baselayer and no jersey), the boogeyman will eat your face.

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
lawrence said:
as Scotty wrote, bibs with no shirt (of any kind) is just plain old retarded.

It screams - HEY LOOK AT ME, I'M AN @SS!!

Now, to do things right: buy a base layer, put it on before the bibs, now put on your bibs, now put on a cycling jersey over the bibs, now go for a ride. ;)

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
golzy said:
The base layer is key. The way I'm built, the seam in the middle of the straps go right over my nips - and lemme tell ya it chaff’s. :(
Be a man about it, wear a Bro (AKA Manssiere).

· Registered
17 Posts
I think that sounds pretty sweet!!! If you wear some cut-off bluejean shorts you will have that "white trash" thing going for you. I would recommend wearing some white cotton socks pulled up as high as possible, but it sounds like a tan is a pretty high priority. Hopefully you drive a Camero or Firebird to complete the package.

· wut?
14,624 Posts
Ash1 said:
I think that sounds pretty sweet!!! If you wear some cut-off bluejean shorts you will have that "white trash" thing going for you. I would recommend wearing some white cotton socks pulled up as high as possible, but it sounds like a tan is a pretty high priority. Hopefully you drive a Camero or Firebird to complete the package.
Damn, this dude has 4 posts and is rippin' on you, boy.

Don't forget the mullet.

· Banned
2,767 Posts
Another way to avoid chafing is to do what I do. I put a clothespin on each nipple, with the "tail" of the clothespin facing the outside of my body. I then routed the bib straps through the "v" in the clothespin "tail." The added benefit to this is that the clothespin causes my nipples to become uber erect, thus increasing my body's surface area and thusly improving cooling.

· wut?
14,624 Posts
alienator said:
Another way to avoid chafing is to do what I do. I put a clothespin on each nipple, with the "tail" of the clothespin facing the outside of my body. I then routed the bib straps through the "v" in the clothespin "tail." The added benefit to this is that the clothespin causes my nipples to become uber erect, thus increasing my body's surface area and thusly improving cooling.
:thumbsup:

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Aww, c'mon guys. Be nice to the noob. Now here's what you do; get a pr of tighty-whities, THEN put on your bibs. Put on white tube socks, up to the knees, then go for a ride. With "Aviator" sunglasses, no helmet. And a cig dangling out of the side of yer mouth. Now we're talkin pure STUD.:eek:

· Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
lawrence said:
If you're concerned about tanning, bib shorts aren't the answer. Think about the screwy tan pattern you'd get from wearing the bibs. Having typed that, it's your life, you can do whatever you wish.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
golzy said:
The base layer is key. The way I'm built, the seam in the middle of the straps go right over my nips - and lemme tell ya it chaff’s. :(
why...it's just one more piece of cycling gear I do just fine without. Maybe if it's cold I'll wear a regular old cotton t under my bibs, but normally I'm fine with the bibs and a bike jersey over em. Base layer? I'll save my money and let you suckers support the base layer industry. :p

· wut?
14,624 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
why...it's just one more piece of cycling gear I do just fine without. Maybe if it's cold I'll wear a regular old cotton t under my bibs, but normally I'm fine with the bibs and a bike jersey over em. Base layer? I'll save my money and let you suckers support the base layer industry. :p
Yo mama wears base layers.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
Yo mama wears base layers.
all your base are belong to us.

// Chuck Norris has no need for base layers...he has nipples of steel!

· Registered
518 Posts
Just remember, if you do wear underwear with your bike shorts, wear them on the outside, so they stay clean.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.