Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bibs

Bibs are no hotter than shorts as far as I can tell. Bibs are much, much more comfortable. No elastic tension around the waist and you never have to pull them up. I once bought some Pearl Izumis in both short and bib form, thinking I would wear the shorts in the summer. The shorts still have the price tag on them. Bibs dominate and you can still pee with them on if you stretch the front down. Just never wear the straps over you jersey, please. They go under :)

·
Ti me up
1,243 Posts
dom3333 said:
Need some new shorts should I by bibs or shorts? I would think that Bibs would be much hotter than shorts. Please help me make up my mind.:D
Go with bibs, unless you do lots of group rides in the morning and always have to take a dump at the shop because your morning coffee just finally got your system moving and now you're holding up the line of guys who gotta pee while you take your jersey off so you can get your bibs down to do your thing. Don't be that guy.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
633 said:
Go with bibs, unless you do lots of group rides in the morning and always have to take a dump at the shop because your morning coffee just finally got your system moving and now you're holding up the line of guys who gotta pee while you take your jersey off so you can get your bibs down to do your thing. Don't be that guy.
I just spewed out OJ all over my keyboard.
OP: Get a pair of bibs, see what you think of them. I (and everyone else here clearly :p ) think you'll like bibs more, however it DOES come down to personal preference; although the majority of people prefer bibs, some do hold out for shorts.
Make sure that as a first pair of bibs you get a quality pair. They'll cost 10-15 more for a comparative quality bib versus a short usually. Don't skimp out on your first pair, or of course, the higher end but same price shorts will appear better; get something at teh same level as what you wear now shortwise.
-estone2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't be that girl, either

633 said:
About made me pass beverage thru nose!

Bibs are great for long rides, keeps the pad pulled tight against the nether regions. Here in AZ they are a bit warmer, even those with mesh on the upper part. If you are tall, getting the goods outta the package can be tricky. Just pull up one side of jersey to clear an arm strap on bib. I use both shorts and bibs depending, but the advice to get good ones holds. I have good luck with Pearl Izumi bibs and shorts. Very comfy and durable.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Yes!

dom3333 said:
Need some new shorts should I by bibs or shorts? I would think that Bibs would be much hotter than shorts. Please help me make up my mind.:D
You should buy bibs or shorts. The world naked bike rides are pretty short and there is a guy who enjoys riding in a thong, but I ain't him. If you plan on doing long rides, you may not be him either.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hotter". Most of us don't feel any warmer in bibs and don't look particularly hot in either. If fashion is the question, I'd defer to your judgement since I don't much care.

Fwiw, I wear bibs. I have a pair of shorts that I bought because they were such a good bargain that my ethnic heritage wouldn't let me pass them up. I only wear them for very short rides.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Me riding naked would not be a pretty site, so I will save the world and stay dressed. I live in Arizona so that is why I do not want anything that might make me any more uncomfotable. I thought being that bibs have a top on them that they might be hotter with a jersey over them. I deffinetly think that I will buy some bibs, as I hope they will not be as tight around my gut section, is this a correct asumption?

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Another country heard from

dom3333 said:
It seems that the bib owners always chime in with their preferences, and those of us who ride shorts don't say much. The short answer is that you should decide for yourself. I've ridden shorts for around 30 years and not really experienced the problems that bibs "solve." It is accurate to say that nearly all professionals ride bibs. If you do a search, you will find many threads where this topic has been beat to death.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
It seems that the bib owners always chime in with their preferences, and those of us who ride shorts don't say much. The short answer is that you should decide for yourself. I've ridden shorts for around 30 years and not really experienced the problems that bibs "solve." It is accurate to say that nearly all professionals ride bibs. If you do a search, you will find many threads where this topic has been beat to death.
But also many of the problems named are not necessarily the only things alleviated. I've never experienced plummers crack, don't have a beer belly (7.5% body fat). But I like bibs more, because they're more comfortable. *shrugs* That's why I say try out as opposed to definitely bibs.however i figure people will probably like bibs more.
-estone2

·
Registered
156 Posts
I wear both. Honestly I prefer the shorts for the convenience, and never really had a problem with them falling down - from this thread, that seems to be the big 'advantage' of bibs, other than 'the pros do it' (which is enough to get a lot of folks to shave their legs :)) As alluded to here, quality and fit are going to be far more important than suspenders or not.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
I've worn shorts for 10 years and tried a pair of bib-knickers for fall/spring riding. Didn't go with a higher end and didn't like them. A few months ago I picked up a pair of PI Microsensor bibs for dirt cheap and like them a lot. Wish I would have snagged the other pair they had on the rack. Since then I've only ridden in the bibs. Guess I've been converted. They do seem to be slightly warmer than the shorts, but warm is warm. After I get hot, it really doesn't matter what I'm wearing. I'm hot !

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ive ridden in shorts forever, and it was threads like this that inspired me to buy bibs last time i needed some shorts....i hated them. they felt great but i couldnt handle the hassle of going to the bathroom on race morning and tougher to adjust the boys. I dont notice a well fitting short to "slide down" on me. So I went back to regular shorts and have been happier that I did.

Its a personal preference thing.

jeremy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.