Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting new cycling clothes. I'm just curious if you guys like bibs or shorts better. I'm aware that it will come down to personal preference, but I just thought I'd get your opinions on this. Thanks.

p.s. I currently just wear shorts.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
bibs

Most cyclists who try bibs would never go back to wearing regular shorts again. They are more comfortable, don't bunch up and restrict at the waist.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Another view

Bib riders will all say there's no alternative. I ride shorts and like them just fine. You pays your money and takes your choice.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
willco99 said:
Bibs are to shorts what clipless pedals are to toe clips and straps.....try them onace and you will never go back.
But kinda opposite in a way, no? Straps, no straps...

I agree though that bibs are more comfortable. I used to think they were goofy, then I gave a pair a try. good stuff. But I still have some shorts that I'll use until they wear out. Since I seldom wear them, that ought to take a while. Definitely relegated to "haven't done laundry in a while" duty.

The place you may have problems with bibs is if you're exceptionally tall and skinny. Makes non-wedgie fitting a bit tougher, though some brands are said to be taller fitting than others.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
I vote for shibs

·
Registered
173 Posts
i have both bibs and shorts. and although the bibs are quite darned comfortable, i have no issues with my shorts.

and infact, i prefer the shorts over the bibs for one simple reason: ease of releasing bodily fluids, baby!!! yeah!!

so much easier to piss with shorts. no need to unzip the shirt, remove straps and pull down bibs. u just whip it out and go!

........unless u dont ride long enough to require pissing during a ride, then bibs are sure good :D

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Bibs!!!

Shorts are fine and I only use them now for my teaching my Spinning classes.
Bibs feel more comfortable for me. I will not go back to shorts for road riding and most MTB riding. I only wear my PI Micro-sensors for MTB, because I have 3 pairs and need to wear them out.

if you are thinking of higher end bibs, just get a cheaper to decent pair like performance or Velo Wear and see how you like them. You might be happy with their brands and no need to go wth PI or Assos or other higher priced ones.

If you don't like bibs, then you won't be out of too many $$$.

·
Banned
608 Posts
boroef said:
so much easier to piss with shorts. no need to unzip the shirt, remove straps and pull down bibs. u just whip it out and go!
Some of us who have been living large with our Enzyte prescription don't need to pull the bibs down much. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm still undecided...

I have been using shorts for years. My current collection are an assortment of Pearl Izumis, some Black Bottoms and a wool pair with a real chamois. I've been happy with shorts, but with all the glowing recommendations for bibs from RBR I decided to give them a try. Santa brought some Voler bibs which I've now used for 3 rides.

Pros so far:

- waist doesn't bunch up / slide down
- my wife thinks they look good

Concerns:

- Having to take your jacket / jersey off in order to get to the straps for restroom breaks
- potential rubbing from the straps / suspenders on longer trips

I've never had a problem with shorts related to the waistband or keeping them in place but the bibs do seem to be more comfortable in that regard. I'm not experiencing rubbing problems with the straps yet, but the rides I've done have been in the 20-30 mile range only. It's hard to know how they will perform on a long ride when I've only been out for an hour to an hour and a half at a time. I have had issues with jersey rub on longer rides in the past so I'm cautious about the potential rubbing.

FWIW I like the Voler bibs so far. It's my first time using their clothing. Santa brought me a Voler jersey as well. The chamois seam on the style of bib I bought happens to lie right under my sit bones so I may end up trying another style. I like the chamois. It's a thinner style which I find more comfortable than the super padded style.

Best,

sminar

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
boroef said:
no need to unzip the shirt, remove straps and pull down bibs. u just whip it out and go!
Peeing w/ bibs is no different than w/ shorts - lift the shirt, yank down the front of the bibs, and whip it out! I size my bibs very snug and don't have a problem.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Shorts vs. Bibs

I use both.

During the winter when wearing tights, I find that wearing shorts is best as it helps prevent some slippage of the tights.

Bibs are definitely preferred come warmer weather as breathing is slightly easier and just more comfortable. Only caution is be careful on strap length. If you have a long torso, some brands straps will be tight and uncomfortable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
and nip rub, nad separation

brewster said:
Bibs and won't ever buy another pair of shorts. Only negative is bibs makes peeing more challenging.

brewster
Aside from the bs reasons ("the pro's wear em, so we should too") most people preferring one or the other usually do so on the basis of fit.

I don't understand the "waistline restriction" argument for bibs. Do shorts really the bibbers THAT much?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have both

and although I like bibs better, in the hot summer days here in North Carolinacan get real hot and I like to wear shorts in those conditions as they are a little cooler. Buy one of each and see what your preference is after you've logged a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
277 Posts
All professional road riders wear bibs. No pros wear shorts.

Of course you can piss (off the bike) with bibs on w/o removing straps or unzipping a jersey.

shorts are fine for spinning (agree w/ above) in the gym, but if you have none, you can wear your bibs as shorts - tuck the bib part in the top of the 'short' part if you want.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts