Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. I have a question- i really prefer bib shorts, always have, but finding ones that fit correctly can be difficult. I am tall (6'3) and not heavy (165-170 lbs depending on time of year) Either I get an XL to have more room with the shoulder-straps and have them too loose in the legs, or the opposite.
I have always assumed that an XL, compared to a L or M, would have both a bigger waist AND longer shoulder-straps. is this true?? If the shoulder straps were the same size on all sizes, problem solved, i could start wearing medium shorts. my fear is that on large shorts, the straps are already more than snug enough, so if i went a size smaller i'd be singing soprano. any thoughts? THANKS!

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
cmatcan said:
I have always assumed that an XL, compared to a L or M, would have both a bigger waist AND longer shoulder-straps. is this true??
No. I am 6'7", and I can tell you that size has little to do with length. You will need to find some bibs that run long. I think the Hincapie line runs long, as well as several other brands. Pearl Izumi, in my opinion, is quite short, as is Assos stuff. I would like to find some that are made tall, like some of the t-shirts I can find.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tbmichaels said:
have you ever considered taking your bibs to a seamstress and having them splice in another inch for each shoulder strap?
that is actually a really good idea. i just assumed they wouldn't e able to do that for such thin, technical fabrics. i imagine it might be tough on the bibs where the straps are a mesh-like material, though.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have the same problem but backwards

Im 6'2 and have long thick legs, so all my bibs are too loose and the shoulder straps fall off the sides ofmy shoulders. so im going to have an inch taken out, and maybe something added so the straps cant spread out. sucks to have no shoulders

·
iedereen op de fiets
669 Posts
Pearl Izumi, in my opinion, is quite short

Have you bought any this year? I have worn PI ultra sensors since 2000. I bought a pair this year and they seem to be longer. You might want to try Campy bibs. I am wearing a pair right now and they weem to run a little long as well. It is hard for me to find stuff that fits. I am built like an ape. Long torso, short legs, think thighs, 34" waist and 48" chest.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
I know a couple of people who have done this at home to no ill effect.

I'm average height (6'0") but light (139) and buy Small bibs from Castelli and Verge which fit great.

Previously I assumed they would not fit due to height and bought too big. I'm much happier now.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Argentius said:
I know a couple of people who have done this at home to no ill effect.

I'm average height (6'0") but light (139) and buy Small bibs from Castelli and Verge which fit great.

Previously I assumed they would not fit due to height and bought too big. I'm much happier now.
so do you have to alter the small bibs, or do you find that the shoulder-straps on a small fit you alright?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm 6'4", a lean 210-15 w/ a 32-33 waist and I wear size M in most bibs (PI, Descente, Voler). The suspenders stretch out well and I'm pull them down far enough to be able to pi$$ off the bike w/ most.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
tbmichaels said:
have you ever considered taking your bibs to a seamstress and having them splice in another inch for each shoulder strap?
No, I never considered this, and now I feel really dumb. Thanks!! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, it is a great idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
cmatcan said:
Howdy. I have a question- i really prefer bib shorts, always have, but finding ones that fit correctly can be difficult. I am tall (6'3) and not heavy (165-170 lbs depending on time of year) Either I get an XL to have more room with the shoulder-straps and have them too loose in the legs, or the opposite.
I have always assumed that an XL, compared to a L or M, would have both a bigger waist AND longer shoulder-straps. is this true?? If the shoulder straps were the same size on all sizes, problem solved, i could start wearing medium shorts. my fear is that on large shorts, the straps are already more than snug enough, so if i went a size smaller i'd be singing soprano. any thoughts? THANKS!
I'm 6'4" and 169 pounds. I wear a Voler size large bib. And it fits very well. I wore shorts forever because I was sure the bib strapts would be too tight for me but now I'm very happy I bought some bibs. I have an XL Voler skinsuit which also fits well but I'm sure a L would fit too.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Nope. They work fine as shipped. The difference in the straps between small and large is really not that much, (at least for the brands I mentioned), and they're stretchy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts