Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never worn bibs, only shorts.

1. What is the advantage of Bibs that could justify their higher cost?

2. Mountain Equip Coop is now selling Castelli bibs. The Reef is $120 and the Super Ego is $85. What are the pros/cons of each.

thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bibs are that much more comfortable.

The only downside is when you gotta use the bathroom. You practically gotta get naked, unless you wanna roll up the leg or bend over hardcore...but then you risk spillage.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Heck said:
You practically gotta get naked, unless you wanna roll up the leg or bend over hardcore...but then you risk spillage.
I really don't get the roll your shorts up and tugging yourself out. too much work and kind of retarded imo. What in the h€ll is so difficult with leaning over and pulling out? :rolleyes: If you're bibs are cut properly, then it's easy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I won my first pair of bibs on eBay several weeks ago, and I have to confess, I love them. As stated before, cyclist's crack (as opposed to plumber's crack) is no longer an issue, the compression factor is good, etc. I got Adidas knickers, in my size(48!:eek: ), for around $45. Lucky me!

·
Registered
303 Posts
fredf said:

2. Mountain Equip Coop is now selling Castelli bibs. The Reef is $120 and the Super Ego is $85. What are the pros/cons of each.

thanks
After years of using shorts, I finally tried my first bibs 2-yrs ago....I'll never go back to regular shorts. Bibs are just so comfortable!

I've got the MEC Castellis, as well as, some Louis Garneaus. I prefer the LGs because there's just something about the Castelli chamois that rubs me the wrong way.

M.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
fredf said:

thanks
I got a pair of assos bibs on sale for my first pair. Put them on, first thought was "my god, i just blew away 2 months allowance." They felt horrible. Then I got on the bike. OTB, the bibs tug on you, and are uncomfortable and horrible and yucky. get on, and they're AMAZING. don't know why. but they are. You kind of have to get used to not having a waistband on your hips, and having smooth fabric there instead, but once you're used to that (and it feels good) then they're hands down good, but the first few rides you have to take some time to 'get used to them'.
-esetone2

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
If you do a search of this site for "bibs shorts," you'll find this topic rehashed in all sorts of different flavors.

As to brands and how well they do their job, well, that's prolly a lot like picking a saddle: my butt might love this one while yours hates it.

FWIW, I can't stand any bibs w/ Pearl Izumi tags on 'em. Hate 'em. They're uncomfortable on the seat, and they've rubbed skin off my arse. Sugoi? Didn't last for me, and after a short time, they became arse grinders, too.

Now I've got 3 prs. of Assos F1.13 S2 bibs, and I love 'em. But that's me.

The only advice that will hold true for everyone is if you're trying on bibs/shorts at a store, don't sniff the chamois 'cuz you don't know where it's been and who's had it on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.