Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I am a newbie roadie mtn bike crossover fella and have a question about the bibs. It seems most of the serious racers wear them and I am curious to what the benefits of them are besides the obvious keeping your shorts up. I know they look ultrasexy w/out a jersey and letting the chesthair wave in the wind but really what's the draw to the bibs, I might get a pair as I was in the market for some new shorts but maybe bibs are the way to go?
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
i guess you weren't a very serious mtn biker.

try the bibs. shorts are for Freds. ;)


gutfiddle said:
ok so I am a newbie roadie mtn bike crossover fella and have a question about the bibs. It seems most of the serious racers wear them and I am curious to what the benefits of them are besides the obvious keeping your shorts up. I know they look ultrasexy w/out a jersey and letting the chesthair wave in the wind but really what's the draw to the bibs, I might get a pair as I was in the market for some new shorts but maybe bibs are the way to go?
 

·
Bacon!
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
Do a search. There are hundreds of arguements in the forums on this.

#1 Recommendation: Buy a pair of Volers and see what you think.

#1 Reason for bibs - saves the world from possible but crack viewage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,643 Posts
Bibs normalize variances I can't control as well as I should.

When I'm in shape my legs are big for my waist and shorts slide down. When I'm out of shape shorts roll down as my gut flops over the top. Bibs don't do either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
gutfiddle said:
ok so I am a newbie roadie mtn bike crossover fella and have a question about the bibs. It seems most of the serious racers wear them and I am curious to what the benefits of them are besides the obvious keeping your shorts up. I know they look ultrasexy w/out a jersey and letting the chesthair wave in the wind but really what's the draw to the bibs, I might get a pair as I was in the market for some new shorts but maybe bibs are the way to go?
I like 'em because they don't dig into my stomach since they don't have a waistband. Much more comfy, in my opinion. On the other hand, it's a pain in the ass to have to take off your jersey to use a porta-john.
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not really a "serious" cyclist either way but I'm aiming to be better:( I only have baggies now but I'll try a pair of the Volers and save the crack for the plumbers. Thanks fer the info;)
 

·
Bacon!
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
Honestly Gut, they do hold up better. Some larger guys find them uncomfortable and it comes down to personal preference. I was a long time MTB'er and got bibs after some ribbing from my friends and very chaffed body parts from a metric century ride. I was so dumb I was still wearing underwear with my PI shorts and got wrecked. I got a pair of voler's and never went back to the shorts (or underwear). Never had a chaffing problem since then. The voler's are a good price and a decent quality. Many people here recommend them. The worst that happens if you don't like them is you're out 60.00 but I'm going to guess you'll prefer them.

Also, the going to the bathroom part sucks. Peeing is easy, just pull down the front. The, um, larger operation requires that you take your jersey off as you've got to pull the straps down.
 

·
Bacon!
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
My wife quit wearing bibs for that reason. She couldn't just easily hide behind a bush on the long mountain rides we do. She felt like she had to get completely naked and this drove her crazy.
 

·
Bacon!
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
At least you're working toward being a serious cyclist. I never thought I'd like road riding so much but it's now 75% of my riding and I live near Tahoe, land of singletracks. Welcome to the club.
 

·
Still On Steel
Joined
·
2,396 Posts
Try 'em, you'll like 'em. Probably.

I recently got my first pair of bibs (yes, they're from Voler), and I'm a convert. Basically it's what sianne said: there's no elastic waistband to cut off circulation and get all tangled up with your Milwaukee tumor.

Well, with my Milwaukee tumor, anyway. Maybe you don't have one. :p

I've read comments from some riders who don't like the way the straps pull on their shoulders, so there is a new fit issue introduced with bibs that isn't present with shorts. With the pair I have, I feel a bit of pressure from the straps while standing erect but when I'm on the bike, in riding position, they feel fine.

From now on, it's nothing but bibs for me (and luckily, I have two or three pair of shorts that are at the end of their duty cycle).
 

·
n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,627 Posts
There's an easier way

Ridgetop said:
Also, the going to the bathroom part sucks. Peeing is easy, just pull down the front. The, um, larger operation requires that you take your jersey off as you've got to pull the straps down.
Just wear your bibs OVER your jersey.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
...never go back

I'd been riding with regular biking shorts for the first five years of serious road cycling, but in the past two years I've discovered that bibs are so much more comfortable & allow for better movement on my ride. I do occasionally ride brief (no pun intended) distances with my one pair of shorts. But I've really been spoiled by bibs, now numbering a total of six pair.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,996 Posts
Shorts end up either too tight in the waist, or too loose in the seat. Bibs fix it.

90% of serious (male) riders stick with bibs, 10% say they don't get it.

Female riders often seem to find that the bibstraps and their anatomy don't work so well.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Allez Rouge said:
I recently got my first pair of bibs (yes, they're from Voler), and I'm a convert. Basically it's what sianne said: there's no elastic waistband to cut off circulation and get all tangled up with your Milwaukee tumor.

Well, with my Milwaukee tumor, anyway. Maybe you don't have one. :p

I've read comments from some riders who don't like the way the straps pull on their shoulders, so there is a new fit issue introduced with bibs that isn't present with shorts. With the pair I have, I feel a bit of pressure from the straps while standing erect but when I'm on the bike, in riding position, they feel fine.

From now on, it's nothing but bibs for me (and luckily, I have two or three pair of shorts that are at the end of their duty cycle).
Funny......I always feel funny in my bibs when I'm erect. It doesn't matter whether I'm standing or sitting. Hmmmmmm.

Bibs are it. Now, sorting your way through the masses of bibs on the market to find what suits your flesh the best...well, you're on your own there. I've settled on Assos bibs, by long trial and error. Sure they're expensive, but the comfort is worth it, at least for me.
 

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
Joined
·
1,032 Posts
Ridgetop said:
At least you're working toward being a serious cyclist. I never thought I'd like road riding so much but it's now 75% of my riding and I live near Tahoe, land of singletracks. Welcome to the club.
Bibs for sure and btw,what is a serious cyclist?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top