Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Nice! If news media keeps putting this stuff out there, maybe it'll start to sink in and people will actually get on board with it. I like that they threw in the blurb about the law requiring motorists to give 3' of space.

· had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
cool, i hope our local paper does a writeup. i saw 3 ppl commuting this morning, usually i only see drunks and vagrants. one commuter drafted me till we got to a causeway and i dropped him:)

· Registered
309 Posts
My local paper has done a few stories like this in the past few weeks. They said that more people are taking the transit bus and train in my area. I have only seen one person on a bike commuting to work at the time I commute. I saw the guy one time, that was it.

Most people are going to grin and bear it until we reach the magic price ( $5, $7, or $10) before they make a major change in their driving habits. They will spend less in other areas. I work with a guy that drives a full size truck, lives 5 miles (2 1/2 miles each way) roundtrip from work. He complains about the price of gas, but won't ride his bike to work.

These stories make it sound easy to just jump on a bike and ride to work. Distance (Anything under 5 miles, most people can do easy), and where you live plays a big part in commuting. I tell everybody that is thinking about commuting to buy slime or thorn resistance tubes, and get the toughest kevlar tires you can afford.

· Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just impressed by a bicycle related article period. The city of Peoria has to be one of the most bicycle unfriendly cities I've been to.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
There's a series on local TV that chronicles a well known TV reporter giving up his car for a week. I haven't seen it because I almost never watch TV. Well, OK. I probably watch 1 -1 1/2 per week. I read about the series.

I ride to week 4 days / week. I'm a teacher and share an office with 6 women. I'm the only male. All of the women are under 35 and all live within about 8 miles of the school. There's constant whining about gas prices & how awful it is. I agree, and have suggested that they try riding to work. I offered advice, etc. So far all I've gotton are smiles and comments like, "Right." or "Oh Yeah."

· Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got a call from a photographer at the newspaper, they are running another story next week and want to get some action shots with me getting groceries with the BOB trailer. Any clothing suggestions? Want to keep it in street clothes as to not give the impression that you need to wear spandex to go the the store. Any good t-shirts that I could have before Tuesday?

· Registered
123 Posts
Nice work. Go, Central Illinois!
I cannot think of anything I have seen recently bike related at a store (not much of a surprise).
You could always try to make t-shirt with some iron-on letters with a fun saying that promotes bikes.
Keep us up to date.

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
DLMKA said:
Especially this week, local news is all over the bike to work thing, but the only context is gas prices, as if people only ride a bike now if they cannot afford gas.

Makes we want to wear a jersey with big lettering that says:

I can afford gas.
Not trying to save the planet.
I just like riding my bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.