Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not great P.R.

Don't forget to read the 15 comments on the Breitbart page.

Ironic that the people who are hawkish on this war with motor vehicle drivers are most likely doves when it comes to the war on terror. Some might opine that both wars could be considered counterproductive.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
Yay. Thanks critical mass. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

If I had to guess, I'd bet this guy was trying to get out of his driveway, and a couple CMers decided to be doooshbags and block him in. Or maybe they actually thought they were protecting their fellow cyclists.

Not saying the guy in the car was right for backing out and possibly over a couple cyclists, but "share the road" means share. not "cyclists only" or Cars only. Share.

CM has no right to block and disrupt everyone else who really just wants to gets where they're going with a minimum of fuss.

I commute by bike year round. Most of these CM idiots are just idiots on bar-hopping bikes that haven't ridden more than a couple blocks since their last critical mass. At least, that's been my experience. They certainly don't help things.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great way to get introduced to the Critical Mass folks and program . . .:eek:

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,768 Posts
kiwisimon said:
CM need to learn some PR skills. They have a point to make but pissed off drivers aren't going to listen.
I don't really think they even approach making their point. Unless it's to piss off cars.

What a bunch of idiots. Another example of why the lunatic fringe of a group can make the whole damn bunch look bad. I see them as being kinda like the Earth Liberation Front of cyclists.

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
BikeGeek said:
The message is of CM is good. The idiots with a chip on thier shoulders at these rides are not the people that should be ambassadors of the sport.
The core message may be good, but it is a complete failure because it does not get the message across. All it does is make drivers hate cyclist.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
What exactly is the "message"? From what I have seen, it is anarchy on wheels---- nothing to do with cycling advocacy. Awareness? I don't believe a word of their so-called message. The message is "piss off motorists." Nothing more than that.

BikeGeek said:
The message is of CM is good. The idiots with a chip on thier shoulders at these rides are not the people that should be ambassadors of the sport.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Not that I'm trying to defend Critical Mass, but we should remember there are 2 sides to every story.

Evidently, the driver in question was trying to pull out from a parking space (sounds like he was parallel parked) as the CM ride was going by. It seems some of the CM riders were "corking" - blocking drivers to allow the rest of the CM riders to go by. In this case, the driver allegedly lost his patience as he and his girlfriend had reservations.

As the driver attempted to continue to back out of his parking space, he ended up being perpendicular to his original line of direction and backed up onto the sidewalk. At this point, several people told him to stop, including his girlfriend. He then proceeded to accelerate and plowed into the line of cyclists originally blocking him, injuring at least one. He then continued to accelerate towards the larger group of cyclists before turning.

When the driver stopped at a stop sign, a group of cyclists again surrounded the car, slashed the tires and broke the windows to prevent the driver from driving off.

Again, I'm not trying to defend CM, but I'd thought I'd point out the other side of the story.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,768 Posts
CoffeeBean2 said:
Not that I'm trying to defend Critical Mass, but we should remember there are 2 sides to every story.

Evidently, the driver in question was trying to pull out from a parking space (sounds like he was parallel parked) as the CM ride was going by. It seems some of the CM riders were "corking" - blocking drivers to allow the rest of the CM riders to go by. In this case, the driver allegedly lost his patience as he and his girlfriend had reservations.

As the driver attempted to continue to back out of his parking space, he ended up being perpendicular to his original line of direction and backed up onto the sidewalk. At this point, several people told him to stop, including his girlfriend. He then proceeded to accelerate and plowed into the line of cyclists originally blocking him, injuring at least one. He then continued to accelerate towards the larger group of cyclists before turning.

When the driver stopped at a stop sign, a group of cyclists again surrounded the car, slashed the tires and broke the windows to prevent the driver from driving off.

Again, I'm not trying to defend CM, but I'd thought I'd point out the other side of the story.
And yet, the fact remains that, if the CM riders weren't jackasses and rode curteously, then this wouldn't have happened.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you go to youtube and watch some of the videos of CM demonstrations their desire to punish drivers and impede traffic is obvious. Videos show cyclists riding two or three abreast, per lane, in some instances blocking 3 or 4 lanes but in all cases blocking ALL lanes of traffic in a given direction. Riding slowly, in traffic lanes, 3 abreast, and taunting motor vehicle drivers is a recipe for road rage against bicycle riders.

What frightens me is how those drivers, and the drivers who see the CM activists, are going to treat the next cyclist they see on the road. My guess is that someone who may have otherwise been inclined to give me a wide berth, and pass courteously, will now be more likely to buzz me and see how close they can get with that big mirror of theirs. (or worse a little soda bottle target practice)

There is a thread about the best place to be a road rider that mentions Washington state a lot. My guess is that it's not as nice a place for us today as it was last Thursday.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.