Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I've got a pretty cool project I'm working on, and thought a lot of you may be interested. This fall, I will be attending Lindsey Wilson College on a cycling scholarship, they are D1 in every disciplin, and excel in all of them as well. In fact, sunday was the Collegiate Road Nationals Road Race, and one of their riders placed 2nd! A very strong team.The Bicycle Friendly Sticker was developed in Columbia, Kentucky on the Lindsey Wilson College Campus by David Grigsby. David Grigsby is the head coach of the Lindsey Wilson College Cycling team. During a “boosters” meeting, a board member stood up and said to Coach Grigsby, “I see your cyclists ride by my house day after day.” At this point, Coach Grigsby was expecting to be asked to have them ride elsewhere. To his surprise the board member said “I would like you to tell them, that if they are ever in need of water, or to use a bathroom, they are welcome to knock on my door.” Other board members agreed, and Coach Grigsby then asked to run with the idea. Thus, the Bicycle Friendly Sticker was born. The whole idea is to make cyclists feel welcome. On those rides where everything seems to not be going your way, you feel like you need a little helping hand and see one of those stickers on someone's mailbox, you would be more then welcome to knock on their door and ask to use their restroom, fill your bottles, or anything else you may need.

My project is gaining awareness for this campaign in anyway possible. Delivering as many stickers by bicycle as possible as well. Stickers are 1 dollar each, and PM me or Please email me at: [email protected] for sticker requests if you may be interested in one.

Also, please follow the journey on [email protected]

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I love the idea, and it makes me wish I lived on a more highly traveled road. I hope this idea takes off, especially in areas with a high concentration of cyclists. I might even be tempted get one for my car, so a cyclist could flag me down if he were in need of assistance.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love the idea, and it makes me wish I lived on a more highly traveled road. I hope this idea takes off, especially in areas with a high concentration of cyclists. I might even be tempted get one for my car, so a cyclist could flag me down if he were in need of assistance.
The beauty of it is that it is great for both less traveled roads and more traveled roads! LWC is in the middle of nowhere, rural Kentucky. It seems to work pretty darn well there when there is only a house or 2 every few miles, with just farms everywhere else. I actually think its more relevant to those types of roads.

Shoot me an email at [email protected] and I can get you some! (If you don't feel comfortable with an email, you can just PM me.)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I purchased these stickers when it was posted on ST back in February.

I think its a great idea. A couple of weeks ago, the wife, kids and I were having some ice cream in front of a store when a cyclist was walking by. She saw the bike rack and sticker on the suv and ask if we could take her to the LBS (broken chain). After having some ice cream with us, we took her to the LBS.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchased these stickers when it was posted on ST back in February.

I think its a great idea. A couple of weeks ago, the wife, kids and I were having some ice cream in front of a store when a cyclist was walking by. She saw the bike rack and sticker on the suv and ask if we could take her to the LBS (broken chain). After having some ice cream with us, we took her to the LBS.
That is exactly the kind of thing I love hearing. Keep up the great work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.