Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I subscribe to Bicycling and to Velo News. Velo News is geared more for the professional racer and Bicycling is Teen Beat for people who like bicycles. Is there anything in between? I wasn't really thinking about bicycling mag today, but it came in the mail. I took a moment to look through it and there's really nothing there. Roadbikerider.com's newsletter is sooo much more.
This thread has probably been done before, sorry.

Be safe and ask your friends to share the road.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have never liked Bicycling. I am a recent new subscriber to Velonews, and I like its info and delivery schedule. My favorite cycling magazine is Cycle Sport. It's a lot of pro stuff, but has some other stuff too. It is reasonably priced considering all the info in it.

·
Rock the Mullet!
305 Posts
Cycling Plus is a British publication that may fit your needs. It is usually available at Borders or Barnes and Noble. It is pricier than Bicyclingmopolitan but is a much better magazine.

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
I just saw ROAD magazine, "The Journal of Road Cycling and Culture" the other
day and was impressed - the Barnes and Noble locally had two different issues,
one amounted to be a coffee table book with tons of gorgeous shots of the Tour
of California, the other was a recent issue. Huge, thick paper stock with gorgeous
inks. I can't vouch for the contents but the layout, size, and quality of the pictures
sort of made me blank out.

Each issue was about 10 bucks american, but it looked like it mostly focused on
the pro tours and high end gear. Really drool worthy.

If Bicycling is Teen Beat, then this is sort of like a combination of National Geographic
and Wired.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
PbOkole said:
Cycling Plus is a British publication that may fit your needs. It is usually available at Borders or Barnes and Noble. It is pricier than Bicyclingmopolitan but is a much better magazine.
I like CyclingPlus. It costs 10 times as much as Bicycling, but each issue has 20 times as much useful information, even if it is very Euro-centric.

·
your god hates me
1,603 Posts
5th wheel said:
Bicycling is Teen Beat for people who like bicycles.

I'd say it's Teen Beat for people who like to read magazines about people who like bicycles.

I've read through 3 or 4 recent issues of Bicycling magazine, and in each issue there's probably 1 or 2 pages that make me think "wow, this is great info, really useful stuff! Maybe I should subscribe?"

...and then there's another 45 pages of complete and total crap. Way too much Lifestyle Marketing for my taste; like, why are there ads for SUVs in Bicycling???

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
I started reading Road last month. Picked it up out of the blue and I'm glad I did. I really enjoy the magazine, nice interviews, and beautiful photos. A bit off the wall, not as crazy as Men's Health... but keeps me interested.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Procycling magazine (UK) has great articles, wonderful interviews/stories about pro riders and managers, beautiful photos, and a monthly bike evaluation which is always informative. It's in a league well above Velonews or Bicycling in my opinion. I read all three for different reasons, but if I had to settle for one, it would definitely be Procycling.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
aliensporebomb said:
I just saw ROAD magazine, "The Journal of Road Cycling and Culture" the other
day and was impressed - the Barnes and Noble locally had two different issues,
one amounted to be a coffee table book with tons of gorgeous shots of the Tour
of California, the other was a recent issue. Huge, thick paper stock with gorgeous
inks. I can't vouch for the contents but the layout, size, and quality of the pictures
sort of made me blank out.

Each issue was about 10 bucks american, but it looked like it mostly focused on
the pro tours and high end gear. Really drool worthy.

If Bicycling is Teen Beat, then this is sort of like a combination of National Geographic
and Wired.

ROAD is like a Cosmopolitan for cyclists. Like you said gorgeous shots of top drawer bicycles and assorted chi-chi schwag. BUT I found the writing to be truly second rate and the whole thing amounted to a bunch of shilling for paying advertisers. The articles lack but I'm fine with that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.