Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I will be staying in Ventura to take part in this weekends Ojai Century and was wondering if anyone can recommend some interesting bike shops in the area?

Thanks,

Ian in SD.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
There's Open Air, at 2386 E Main St., although I'm not sure how interesting you'll find it...last time I was there (a few years ago) it leaned heavily towards MTBs. This seems to be a new location, and their website shows Trek, Felt and Specialized. If you can make it to Santa Barbara, there's Velo Pro on State St and Fastrack on W Canon Perdido (next street w. of State). Midway between Ventura and St. Babs is Carpenteria, where Bikesmiths is located; it's on Carpenteria Ave, south of Casitas Pass Rd. I don't know if this is the same Bikesmith that used to be in St. Babs, so I can't say good/bad--but there it is.

Oh, and there's a Performance/ex-Supergo in Ventura...but I assume you don't care about that.

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
There's Bicycle World USA in Santa Paula. I got my Colnago there. Those guys are into serious cycling. Don't know if they still carry Colnago though. They might have had a fallout with Ernesto. They now carry their house brand - Ragatz Bicycles.

There is a great bike mechanic there - Rudolfo.

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Last time I was there (last week to pick up my colnago from it's annual check up at Bicycle World USA), I drove back home via South Mountain Road and Balcom Canyon. The route used in the ToC. Looks like nice riding.

Oh yeah and I stopped for a cup o joe at the Santa Paula Coffee Co. on Main Street. Tanzania Peabody. MMMMmmmmm.... :p

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Balcom Canyon...looks like nice riding.

I'm getting chest pains again just thinking about that last mile or so before the summit, going south. I'll content myself with riding from Ventura back along Blood Alley to Santa Clarita and then down to the San Fernando Valley. I prefer driving through Balcom Canyon (or Grimes Canyon)...after having a Super Big Boy at Bob's.

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
The Walrus said:

I'm getting chest pains again just thinking about that last mile or so before the summit, going south. I'll content myself with riding from Ventura back along Blood Alley to Santa Clarita and then down to the San Fernando Valley. I prefer driving through Balcom Canyon (or Grimes Canyon)...after having a Super Big Boy at Bob's.
Yeah no kidding! It looked pretty derned steep. I watched the ToC from the top of Balcom and until last week had never seen the gradient on the steep part of the climb. Yikes, I can see now why some of the riders were weaving across the road.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
The Walrus said:

I'm getting chest pains again after having a Super Big Boy at Bob's.
have you tried the burger place next to the bobs in burbank? its pretty good, but no where near as good as bobs. pre-vegitarian the super big boy was my all time favorite meal. now i just get hte veggie cheese burger and slap some onion rings on it to make sure i get my daily dosage of artery cloggage.

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
yarble said:
have you tried the burger place next to the bobs in burbank? its pretty good, but no where near as good as bobs. pre-vegitarian the super big boy was my all time favorite meal. now i just get hte veggie cheese burger and slap some onion rings on it to make sure i get my daily dosage of artery cloggage.
Are you talking about Paty's Coffee shop?

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
Yarble. Are you talking about Mo's? Upscale? Lots of industry types?
C40: Its hours are kind of strange, but try going to the Time-Sport Outlet Shop on Motor Way in Santa Barbara, just inland from the 101.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
Mapei Roida said:
Yarble. Are you talking about Mo's? Upscale? Lots of industry types?
C40: Its hours are kind of strange, but try going to the Time-Sport Outlet Shop on Motor Way in Santa Barbara, just inland from the 101.
yea, mo's. i couldnt think of the name for some reason. i cant really comment on anything besides garden burgers and onion rings, but their onion rings are damn good. if i had to choose though, i would still head to bobs. mo's is too swanky to be a 'real' burger place. at bobs i can get everything i got at mo's plus a chocolate shake and still have plenty for a tip. the waitresses at mo's are mighty cute,but that might be becuase they all claim to be actresses.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.