Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends have recently helped me put together a bicycle, but I don't have any tools of my own. I'd like to get some recommendations for tool kits that are small enough for carrying around in a messenger bag. I'm looking for something that definitely has more than just the minimum basic tools, but also something that doesn't require a full-blown tool box so that it can also be portable.

In addition to having all/most of the items that a multi-tool would have, I would also like a kit that has stuff like a lockring tool, chain whip wrench, brush, crank puller, BB cartridge tool, cable cutter, patch kit, etc. So far I've only found the Park Tool BK-2 Roll-up tool kit. Are there any others with a better tool set in terms of the type of tools and/or quality?

Thanks for the help!

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
... you're kinda giving conflicting requests... not a full blown tool kit but some specialty tools you wouldn't normally take on a ride...

A lot of stuff on a bicycle can be handled with standard (generally metric) household/automotive tools and as such, you might already have some. For those specialties, I'd suggest buying individually as needed.

I built up my tool kit (and subsequently, my home shop) a piece or three at a time. Over time, I could then afford the extra expense of those uber special tools such as a crown race puller or headset press. This is prolly one of those instances where piecemeal is about as cost effective as buying a kit where you don't even use half the tools inside.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Depends:

You don't need to pack a lot of tools when you ride. You just need stuff for emergencies or making small changes if you buy new equipment (such as dialing in a saddle position). I pack one of those Park hex wrench mini tools in my jersey pocket. I bought another mini tool that has a flat and phillips screw driver but they are too large to work on bikes (who makes this stuff?). If I have just installed a new front derailleur I might carry a small screw driver with me for adjustments for awhile.

For shop tools it depends on how much wrenching you do. I could list the tools I have, but I don't remember what they all are. I have accumulated tools as the years went by. You could buy one of the tool kits, but you might never use some of the tools.

The Zinn Book Of Road Bike Maintenance lists tools by level. From basic take along to shop. Get the basic tools, then build, depending on what you do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.