Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bike Rider
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Cervelo Soloist came with aero-spoked Shimano wheels that were light and looked killer, but most likely would not have lasted a couple weeks on the PacNW roads I normally ride on. I ordered a more realistic set of everyday riding wheels from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse, based on the many positive reviews I've seen here at RBR.
The Mavic CXP33/Ultegra Hub wheels are awesome. Dead true, smooth rolling wheels that came carefully packaged with rim tape and comp water bottle. A great deal as well. Great customer service.
If you need wheels, I would join many others here in recommending Bicycle Wheel Warehouse.

I do not work for them and they did not give me any special discounts, just calling it as I see it.

·
Bike Rider
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually don't complain about free stuff. I can always find a use for another water bottle, even though a Camelback has replaced them on my mountain bike.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I use the water bottle in the gym all the time.

Now those cheesy rim strips they provide....ugh. I wish they'd tack on an extra buck or two and include some nice Velox tape.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah, nice rim strips instead of the bottle. Call me a snob but that one was like the one from the early 80's. You can't even put ice in it.

·
Bike Rider
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Velox is my pick for rim tape but the BWW stuff seems to work OK. I live in kind of an out of the way place, it would take me some time to track down the Velox, so I'm glad the BWW tape is workable. The cheapo tape that came on the Shimano rims caused a spoke hole flat before I could even get the bike on the road.

·
Registered
62 Posts
get new rim tape

I agree I ordered some cxp33 w/ ultegra, and love them, but the rim tape is bad. I thought I could get by using it, I got 3 flats in one ride, since I have bought some velox rim tape no problems. But plus one on BWW they are great. I didn't get the free bottle though, I wish I would have, i'm a sucker for free stuff.:)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah, I gotta say they do have great service. They are very easy to work with and respond pretty quickly via email. The bottle is a nice gesture, even if it isn't top notch.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
texass4 said:
Now those cheesy rim strips they provide....ugh. I wish they'd tack on an extra buck or two and include some nice Velox tape.
BWW seems to have two widths of rim strips - 11mm and 16/17mm. The 11mm version arrived with my OpenPro/DuraAce wheels and I considered the width of the tape inadequate. It barely covered the rim holes and I feared that an inflated tube would push the tape into the holes with disastrous consequences. I have a big shop roll of 16mm Ritchey rim tape and it was used instead. I think I mentioned this to Chris @ BWW in an e-mail.

Then I got a set of BWW Pure mountain bike wheels from BWW and they came with a 16mm BWW branded tape. Then a set of Blackset Race road wheels arrived for a lady racer I mechanic for and (if my memory is correct) the 16mm tape was supplied with this wheelset. Both rim beds were filled nicely.

So is it the tape quality you're not happy with or the width?

Here's a pic of three tapes - a 17mm Velox, 16mm Ritchey and 11mm BWW. I don't have a sample of the 16/17mm BWW.
The BWW tape has a smoother finish than the others and it has stronger adhesion.

·
Registered
202 Posts
broschb said:
I agree I ordered some cxp33 w/ ultegra, and love them, but the rim tape is bad. I thought I could get by using it, I got 3 flats in one ride, since I have bought some velox rim tape no problems. But plus one on BWW they are great.
Think about it. You are on a group ride and you flat. You get the wheel off. Someone else has the levers out and pulls out the tube. He sees Bicycle Wheel Warehouse on your rim. He remembers.

Does advertising get any easier?

If BWW purchased BWW branded Velox you would get fewer flats.

That said, I am really happy with my Dura Ace Open Pro wheels from BWW. I used Velox on these wheels as I have on all of my wheels.

TT

·
Registered
305 Posts
BTSyndrome said:
Mark H - I also am planning on getting that same wheel set. I would like your opinnion of them when you get them. Thanks
I'll do it! :thumbsup: If all goes well I should have them with a fresh set of Pro 3 mounted ready for the weekend.

·
Bike Rider
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used the wider 16mm Velox MTB rim tape on the Shimano 550 rims, that size tape seems to work well with aero type road rims. The 11mm works with rims that have a spoke "slot" like Mavic rims seem to have. I hope I can count on the BWW tape, the Vittoria tape that came with the Shimano rims was so lame I had a spoke flat without even riding the bike.
I took the new wheels out for a ride last week; straight, fast and true.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Mark H said:
I'll do it! :thumbsup: If all goes well I should have them with a fresh set of Pro 3 mounted ready for the weekend.

I've been riding my DT1.2 with DA hubs with 32h 3X spokes from BWW for a few months now. This a heavy duty training wheel. The rim offers really stiff lateral support and the ride of the DA hubs is super smooth. The black spokes and black nipples really look pimp as well.

IMO this is the best wheelset you can get for $500....no contest.

I've got another set from BWW that should be here today. Open Pro, DA hubs, DT revs spokes, 28 radial front, 32 3X rear. I'm gonna use these for racing this year.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I've been out on the road on my two sets of BWW wheels over the past two days now that we're getting some above freezing temps -

• OP/Ulteg/32h silver spokes & nipples.
  • OP/DA/32h black spokes, red nipples.
- and they're quite impressive for $240 & $399 respectively. When the ground frost leaves and the trail water drains away I'll be out on my BWW Pure house-brand mtb wheels too.

·
Bike Rider
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Open Pros are great everyday rims, it was a tossup between those and the CXP33's. Can't go wrong either way, I've had OP's before; nothing bad about them, maybe a little rust or corrosion on the spoke nipples because I lived a couple blocks from the ocean.
When the ground frost leaves and the trail water drains away I'll be out on my BWW Pure house-brand mtb wheels too.
Can't wait to get back on the trails. Still covered in snow here. Snowed about 4" last night. If the roads are dry this time of year, we're stoked, albeit a little chilly.

·
Registered
305 Posts
75 miles later

Syndrome said:
Mark H - I also am planning on getting that same wheel set. I would like your opinion of them when you get them. Thanks
I got a great ride in today with my new wheels, two mountain climbs, some rollers, and a hammer fest in the flats!!! Came away very impressed. They are stiff and roll just as well as a set of older Ksyruim's SL's I have with ceramic bearings. They are a little on the heavy side, but I'm more concerned about them staying together than their weight. Only problem to report was I had 2 flat's due to not have the rim tape completely over a hole. I hope that was the problem. Which, if that was the case, it was my fault. I'll post some pictures later.

·
Always me!
82 Posts
Thanks for the info.........I ordered and now have a set of them on the way.
They look good in your pics, but I was expecting them to have White and red stickers
to go with the white and red on the bike. They appear to be a chrome and red in your pics.
Still look sharp with the red nipples.

Not a big deal for me since I plan on changing the stickers anyway.
Heck, now I havve wheels and still don't even have the bike yet. lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts