Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a single frame being raced on the Pro Tour that is not carbon?

Next, when was the last time a non-carbon frame won a Pro Tour race?

·
Registered
20,777 Posts
Is there a single frame being raced on the Pro Tour that is not carbon?
Nope. Not for a LONG time.

Next, when was the last time a non-carbon frame won a Pro Tour race?
19yrs ago.

1998: Marco Pantani's (Mercatone Uno) Bianchi Mega Pro XL Reparto Corse
Bianchi Mega Pro XL built in the company's heralded Reparto Corse race shop from shaped and butted Dedacciai 7000-series aluminum tubing

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I wonder if there are any non-carbon WHEELS on the pro tour. Or clinchers for that matter.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I wonder if there are any non-carbon WHEELS on the pro tour. Or clinchers for that matter.
Aqua Blue Sport ride nothing but clinchers. I think they're running tubeless now even during racing.

Climbing stages have lots of those alloy/carbon rims like the C24 sometimes.

Most are on carbon tubs though for sure.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Very interesting, but still a Continental team and not a Pro Tour team. Also, had never thought about how bad carbon frames are for our environment.
Best I could do.

And yeah, they're pretty terrible.

Man... just think. You know out west... the mountains like in Moab... all of the striations and layers? Wonder what our layers are going to look like? They're going to be all kinds of ****ed up vs the stuff beneath us. Not natural looking, that's for sure. Lots of plastics.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
If a team got enough sponsorship money, they might give up that 1-1/2 pound advantage you can get with a mega$$$ carbon frame. If the team used more of the ultra light items, they might get closer to the lower weight limit. That Stainless tube set that is mentioned above isn't that light. At 3.3 pounds, it's only .2 pound lighter than my painted steel frame. On the other hand an S-33 frame from Waterford weighs 3.0 pounds. (that's about the limit for steel)

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
If a team got enough sponsorship money, they might give up that 1-1/2 pound advantage you can get with a mega$$$ carbon frame. If the team used more of the ultra light items, they might get closer to the lower weight limit. That Stainless tube set that is mentioned above isn't that light. At 3.3 pounds, it's only .2 pound lighter than my painted steel frame. On the other hand an S-33 frame from Waterford weighs 3.0 pounds. (that's about the limit for steel)
Pro Teams are a finicky bunch. They would be most better off sponsoring me., I would be super appreciate and I'd be talking up their frame to the press in the event I were ever interviewed

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Boonan won the green jersey at the TDF in 2007 on a steel Pegoretti. I was painted to look like a Specialized.

Would be interesting to see what bikes you'd see in the pro tour if riders could choose their own. They obviously have enough experience to know most of the marketing is bs so while they may still choose carbon I doubt they'd be the same ones their sponsor has them on now. I'd guess we'd see a lot of stuff like Parlee Z1 which is no gimmick bike known only for great ride quality (as opposed to being ultra stiff aero and all that jazz)

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
The reason why you don't see much in the way of steel or titanium on the peleton is that the companies that make them can't justify the economics of sponsorship not the half pound or so weight difference. Serotta sponsored teams back in the day and it was yet another reason not the main one, why they're not around anymore.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
Boonan won the green jersey at the TDF in 2007 on a steel Pegoretti. I was painted to look like a Specialized.

Would be interesting to see what bikes you'd see in the pro tour if riders could choose their own. They obviously have enough experience to know most of the marketing is bs so while they may still choose carbon I doubt they'd be the same ones their sponsor has them on now. I'd guess we'd see a lot of stuff like Parlee Z1 which is no gimmick bike known only for great ride quality (as opposed to being ultra stiff aero and all that jazz)
I doubt there are any pro racers that would choose a frame based on ride quality. They want light weight and they want aero. Trust me on this.

The reason why you don't see much in the way of steel or titanium on the peleton is that the companies that make them can't justify the economics of sponsorship not the half pound or so weight difference. Serotta sponsored teams back in the day and it was yet another reason not the main one, why they're not around anymore.
I worked for one of those teams. Compared to the number of frames that teams get now it was very few, but I'm sure it was a huge deal for Ben and his company.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I doubt there are any pro racers that would choose a frame based on ride quality. They want light weight and they want aero. Trust me on this.
Not even for Paris - Roubaix and similar? If so, I'd have to say that's just stupid. I'd have to think at least some pros have the sense to know ride quality would be the best thing to select on at least for some races or certain stages. No?

edit: Now that I think of it aren't pro riders are already selecting bikes for ride quality at certain races? Or do you think, for example, Specialized and Giant, force their riders select the Roubaix and Defy for certain races and they'd really like to use the Venge and whatever Giant's light aero model is called?

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Not even for Paris - Roubaix and similar? If so, I'd have to say that's just stupid. I'd have to think at least some pros have the sense to know ride quality would be the best thing to select on at least for some races or certain stages. No?

edit: Now that I think of it aren't pro riders are already selecting bikes for ride quality at certain races? Or do you think, for example, Specialized and Giant, force their riders select the Roubaix and Defy for certain races and they'd really like to use the Venge and whatever Giant's light aero model is called?
If I ever turn pro I am going to demand a steel bike!

I can certainly remember times in past tours where riders used a special bike for a TT and had it painted to match the sponsors paint. That was not comfort based though

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts

Certain races, yes. Cancellara at PR...Domane. Specialized riders...Roubaix. But these guys are racing 80-100 plus days a year. The vast majority of them won't ride those frames but for a few days. And this is only the Pro Tour level. For the majority of pro racers bigger tires at lower pressure are the 'ride quality' solution.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts