Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Brutal country. Don't even think about going there.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I lived and rode in and around London for six years. Only place I've been doored riding a bicycle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We spent some time this fall in Scotland on our tandem. Had a great time and plan on going back next fall. We even had one "man with a van" who we saw many times who would wave when he passed us gave us wide berth.

Maybe stay out of London? But the Scottish Highlands were a fantastic place to ride.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Head of the Dept of Transportation, should be charged with vehicular assault. Video follows:
Britain's Transport Secretary Doors Cyclist, As Seen In Video : The Two-Way : NPR
The cyclist should never try to thread the needle between parked cars and the curb. :nono: That's just waiting to be doored. And yes, he was probably going too fast to react if someone did open his door. Motorists don't look for traffic very far from where they are. The cyclist came into his view very fast. Riders with a clue would have gone between the parked cars and the moving traffic. Much safer!

Ironic he hits the Transportation Secretary! :lol:

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
The cyclist should never try to thread the needle between parked cars and the curb. :nono: That's just waiting to be doored. And yes, he was probably going too fast to react if someone did open his door. Motorists don't look for traffic very far from where they are. The cyclist came into his view very fast.
This. I can't count how many people I see on club rides who ride right next to parked cars. TAKE THE LANE! It should be pointed out to all those riders who are afraid to take the lane that being hit from behind accounts for less than 6% of all bike accidents involving cars. Being doored is much, much more common.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I disagree. The cyclist should be cited for uncommonly bad judgement.
Those were not parked cars, that was stopped traffic, the HofT waited for the biker and then just opened his door in the middle of driving somewhere. He was not at his destination, he wasn't even the driver, so I think the driver & him had to of planned this as there was no reason to get out of the back seat, they were not at their destination yet. He was just another AH.

But with the video, we know who he is (since he is a public figure). I imagine he is going to get his, what goes around, comes around.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Those were not parked cars, that was stopped traffic, the HofT waited for the biker and then just opened his door in the middle of driving somewhere. He was not at his destination, he wasn't even the driver, so I think the driver & him had to of planned this as there was no reason to get out of the back seat, they were not at their destination yet. He was just another AH.

But with the video, we know who he is (since he is a public figure). I imagine he is going to get his, what goes around, comes around.
How do you know that? Why was HofT opening the door, car sitting there right next to the curb? He wasn't acting like an AH after he realized he screwed up.

There's an old basic law, written down in most countries, if you hit someone in front of you, you will be charged for "failure to control vehicle." Beware. Watch where you're going and don't take stupid chances just because technically you "have the right of way."

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
There's an old basic law, written down in most countries, if you hit someone in front of you, you will be charged for "failure to control vehicle.""
In most cases, but not all. In NJ, if you are driving and someone opens their car door in front of you and you hit it, he is at fault, not you.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
In most cases, but not all. In NJ, if you are driving and someone opens their car door in front of you and you hit it, he is at fault, not you.
That's probably true in other states, too. No way an approaching driver can predict when some idiot is going to open his door in the way before it's too late.

Much better visibility on a bike, though. I look into the cars I'm about to pass. If I see a driver inside, I'm prepared to go out in the lane far enough to avoid an opened front door. Drivers don't always see a cyclist approaching at 17 mph in the rear view mirrors. We're too small.

The cyclist, insistent on using the bike lane when it was occupied by stopped cars, was flirting with disaster. He shoulda been on the other side, in traffic. That's where drivers are looking.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The cyclist, insistent on using the bike lane when it was occupied by stopped cars, was flirting with disaster. He shoulda been on the other side, in traffic. That's where drivers are looking.
He should have been riding in the oncoming traffic lane? That would not be my first recommendation and I can't imagine a legal or practical reason for it.

A case could be made that the cyclist should have stopped along with traffic going in his direction, I guess. But really, when a guy in stop and go traffic jumps out of a blacked out SUV, without looking, what chance does a normal cyclist have?

This situation is too ironic. The very minister who complains about bike lanes doors a cyclist who could surely have used one at that moment. Mr. Minister should be laughed out of office.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
He should have been riding in the oncoming traffic lane? That would not be my first recommendation and I can't imagine a legal or practical reason for it.

A case could be made that the cyclist should have stopped along with traffic going in his direction, I guess. But really, when a guy in stop and go traffic jumps out of a blacked out SUV, without looking, what chance does a normal cyclist have?

This situation is too ironic. The very minister who complains about bike lanes doors a cyclist who could surely have used one at that moment. Mr. Minister should be laughed out of office.
Uh, no, I meant on the left side of the stopped car. There was just enough room for cyclist to pass the stopped car in the right lane, that he wouldn't have had to buck oncoming traffic. He could have ducked into traffic ahead of the stopped car, as it was moving immediately after the crash.

The minister could very well have looked from inside the car. He said the cyclist was going too fast, which means he probably didn't see cyclist before he opened the door.

Don't do what the cyclist did. :nono: Just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
I think we're looking at different videos.
I just checked the video. There are cars in gridlock in the left lane, oncoming traffic in the right lane. There's also just enough room to the right of the car cyclist hit that would have made it possible for him to pass without going over the white line into oncoming traffic, IMO. That's what I would have done. I wouldn't have stayed there, sure, but believe its safer than riding between traffic and the curb.

I often pass cars in the US on the left, to avoid being wiped out by cars turning right, or pulling into the bike lane, stopping, and letting someone out of the car. :D. Cops, delivery vehicles, taxis, do that all the time.

Never assume the right of way on a bike. I've ridden 35 years in city traffic. Not once have I had any crashes with cars. I always crash on the MUTs, when I'm feeling safe and not paying attention. Cycling in traffic is like a computer game. Satisfying to do it right! Motor vehicles are big, clunky, move like dinosaurs, easy to figure out. Wish I could say the same about bicyclists and pedestrians. :D

Edit: did you notice the "No Stopping at Anytime" sign over the shoulder of one of the officials? :lol: Fire the guy!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
Much better visibility on a bike, though. I look into the cars I'm about to pass. If I see a driver inside, I'm prepared to go out in the lane far enough to avoid an opened front door.
I beg to differ. Too many reflections on car windows to see objects inside cars. And you certainly can't see a driver through the rear window. It's much easier and safer to take the lane.

The cyclist, insistent on using the bike lane when it was occupied by stopped cars, was flirting with disaster. He shoulda taken the lane, in traffic. That's where drivers are looking.
FIFY. :)

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
I beg to differ. Too many reflections on car windows to see objects inside cars. And you certainly can't see a driver through the rear window. It's much easier and safer to take the lane.

FIFY. :)
Yeah, take the lane. That's what I meant! That's about where you'd be to avoid getting doored. :ihih:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts