Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost count of the reviews of $6,000+ bikes in the current edition. Some were $7,000+ rigs.

I mean, is this what most of us are interested in?

It also had a piece on $200 jerseys. I mean, really.

I threw the magazine away.

Rumor has it there is a new editor in charge. I hope she makes some changes to bring the mag down into real-world cycling -- and do something to give the sheet some cred.

As it now stands, Bicycling is nothing but puff, blather and $$$.

·
Registered
534 Posts
yeah, one jersey was $320. Its really silly. I like that they peddle $5000 bikes though, it it weren't for the lemmings that kept buying them, I wouldn't have nearly as much fun passing them on my commuter bike...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Nice pictures of new bikes.
Just don't read any of the words and you should be OK.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,240 Posts
Um yea.

The runners of that rag fail to understand that there is only SO many times you can publish "20 tips to climb better", "10 ways to get faster", "where you can shave grams"....etc etc....before people get sick of it.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Once they quit running ads for the "Liberator" chairs there was no longer any reason to open that magazine.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I have no idea why anyone would ride bikes that cheap or wear t-shirts that expensive.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's what the writers and editors are most interested in, since they get to try it out for free. It's the same with car magazines. You'd like to get a review of a car that you might actually be able to buy, but the magazine testers of course take any chance to drive the latest Lamborghini. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
949 Posts
I ride a Roubaix... So I read that article about the new stiffer rear triangle...
Then I gave that copy to my buddy who does Tri...

Otherwise, this was kind of a waste... So I dropped the mag off when I was out for a ride.

·
your god hates me
1,562 Posts
Room 1201 said:
The runners of that rag fail to understand that there is only SO many times you can publish "20 tips to climb better", "10 ways to get faster", "where you can shave grams"....etc etc....before people get sick of it.

Apparently "SO many" = <12...they can't even go a full year without repeating themselves.

Personally the >$5k bike reviews don't bother me. What bothers me (besides the aforementioned repetitveness & lack of imagination in their articles) is their staunch refusal to offer anything meaningful, insightful, critical, or remotely detailed in those bike reviews. Yeah yeah I'm sure they're all very nice bikes yada-yada-yada...but as long as you schmucks are going to review several dozen $5k bikes, how about letting us know whether there's anything that differentiates one from the other?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Slim Again said:

Rumor has it there is a new editor in charge. I hope she makes some changes to bring the mag down into real-world cycling -- and do something to give the sheet some cred.

As it now stands, Bicycling is nothing but puff, blather and $$$.

last month had "best jerseys under $100". the month before that had "best enthusiast
bike", "best recreational bike".

i like the high-end reviews because i don't see them locally. low-to-mid bikes i can
test ride myself.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Slim Again said:
I lost count of the reviews of $6,000+ bikes in the current edition. Some were $7,000+ rigs.

I mean, is this what most of us are interested in?
Speaking for myself only, yes - it is what I'm interested in.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
My problem with Bicycling is that the reviews are pretty much just press releases from the manufacturers.

For decent reviews and good tips for non racers, try the UK's "Cycling +"

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Frankly, the editors and publishers of Bicycling could care less what you think. Bicycling is right now one of the biggest success stories in the publishing industry. While most magazines are bleeding red ink, Bicycling's ad sales were up in the first quarter. Adweek has put Bicycling on its Hot 100 list for three years running.

The American Society of Magazine Editors regularly hands out awards to Bicycling and Bicycling.com. No, the magazine is not for everyone, but that's the definition of almost every magazine. They would not be so successful if they were not striking a chord with thousands of readers.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Show me evidence of this, please. Show me an email from Chris Lambiase (the publisher) to Steve Madden (the editor) saying, "Steve, I need you to write a good review of the Tarmac or Specialized will pull their $40,000 campaign." Sorry, but this kind of nonsense ticks me off. I was a journalist for 20 years. This doesn't happen at legitimate publishers like Rodale.Know why? Because if anyone found out, the brand would be worthless. Steve Madden would never work in publishing again. You think some editor is going to sell out his career and his kids' college money for some bike company?

·
Registered
232 Posts
dir-t said:
Once they quit running ads for the "Liberator" chairs there was no longer any reason to open that magazine.
+1 .:thumbsup:

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,465 Posts
The problem with Bicycling is that it's been crap for 20 years. It slipped into the crap mode around 1989.........Make that 1987.

·
Registered
222 Posts
buck-50 said:
My problem with Bicycling is that the reviews are pretty much just press releases from the manufacturers.

For decent reviews and good tips for non racers, try the UK's "Cycling +"

Agreed. I consider Bicycling as I do Runner's World (both Rodale I think?). Both are magazines for purchase in U.S. airports. The ONLY good thing about London Heathrow is that they carry Procycling, Cycle Sport and Cycling+ which is great when I'm standing in the security check, passport control and inevitably the lost luggage service for three hours!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I've grown tired of "lose weight fast"...sounds just like the mags at the grocery store checkout rack. It is a repeat and while they seem to give enough coverage to higher $ bikes I don't find much change year to year. For that matter decade to decade.

In another view, it is as if they promote "Fred-ness" by reviewing bikes at such $$ values for the masses to buy. They wax about this and that so of course the buyer reading it will enjoy the mental praise from such writing.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts