Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a bizarre list:

http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/20riders/20.html

I love Jens Voigt, but he doesn't belong on this list.

And then the comparisons to Hollywood actors. Gino Bartali and Jackie Earle Haley? Erik Zabel and Jack Nicholson?* Huh?

A rich mine of oddity and worse.

*Hard not to get sucked into this, but I'm thinking Zabel is Jimmy Stewart.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Bicycling = Retarded

umm errr there was this guy named Fausto Coppi.....

his run was screwed by WW2 as Thys's was by WW1. Would have been the first 5x winner most likely

Jens, George>?

great riders but top 20

Van Impe? Thevenet? Joop??? check Joop's TdF palmares and how long he was a contender

harlond knows WTF he/she is talking about

Zabel belongs, he rewrote the Green Jersey

Lance #1

Eddy, more days in yellow, more stage victories, took a year off at the tours request
had another year screwed by an assault

won all 3 jerseys
won green jersey as well as MJ
won KOM as well as MJ

did a frickin crazy solo run in 69 and his solo run to Marseilles

·
Registered
429 Posts
Andre Darrigade should already be in the top 10. I've been watching archive footage of the 1957-63 Tours on French TV and it's amazing how he dominated all but the mountain and ITT stages. Here's a picture of one of the rare sprints he didn't win:

Seems obvious that the list was made up by some guy who's only been watching the Tour carefully for a couple of years and has only read a couple of magazine articles about Tour history. In particular including Cancellara, Voigt, Hincapie, who might not even make it in most people's top 100 Tour riders (they should already each be ranked below most of the Tour winners except maybe guys like Pereiro). On the other hand, JF Bernard, who might not make it in most people's top 1000 would probably make it in many French people's top 10.

-ilan

·
Registered
429 Posts
atpjunkie said:
umm errr there was this guy named Fausto Coppi.....

his run was screwed by WW2 as Thys's was by WW1. Would have been the first 5x winner most likely

Jens, George>?

great riders but top 20

Van Impe? Thevenet? Joop??? check Joop's TdF palmares and how long he was a contender

harlond knows WTF he/she is talking about

Zabel belongs, he rewrote the Green Jersey

Lance #1

Eddy, more days in yellow, more stage victories, took a year off at the tours request
had another year screwed by an assault

won all 3 jerseys
won green jersey as well as MJ
won KOM as well as MJ

did a frickin crazy solo run in 69 and his solo run to Marseilles
I agree except for the last part. In particular, I'm almost certain that Merckx himself would rate Armstrong above him as "Tour rider" because he made winning it almost into a science. I'm not sure if he's already on record saying it, but I watched a number of recent interviews with him and that point of view certainly seems consistent with what he's saying these days.

-ilan

·
Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
Oh man, huge blunder in not listing Laurent Fignon, guy had a great Tour record, two wins, multiple podiums. Also, what about Charly Gaul? A winner who had epic mountain battles throughout the 50's and early 60's. Then there's Fausto Coppi, Gino Bartali, Pedro Delgado, Steven Roche, Lucien Van Impe, Joop Zoetemelk, Sean Kelly, Luis Herrera, each of these guys had a much bigger impact than several of the people listed in Bicycling's top 20.

·
Registered
53 Posts
TheDon said:
I don't know if Cipo really belongs. He's an amazing cyclist, but he wasn't in enough tours to be considered. As always bicycling mag fails

Cipollini's the only rider ever to have 4 consecutive stage wins. Plus a quick google search reveals he also has 12 stage wins.

Though there's been a lot of great riders in the tour, I think Cipollini does deserve to be on that list.

·
Dopers ruin sport
508 Posts
Cipo really does not belong on the list. Ya sure he won alot of stages but the man could never finish a Tour.

I like George but he should not be on the list. He was with lance for all seven Tour but thats basically it. Unless you want to count his one stage win.

Zabel belongs He won 6 green jerseys and he can still mix it up in the sprints today. Great rider.

Jens is probably one of my favorite riders and he has done a ton in pro cycling, but he has not done enough in the Tour to make it on the list.

Eddy should be ahead of lance.

·
Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
jsedlak said:
I think George should be on the list. He is a true teammate and does an exceptional job. I don't think such a list should be based on tours won or even stages won.
LOL, really? If we were to make a list of the top Tour riders that included good teammates, that list would be A LOT longer than 20 riders.

·
Registered
429 Posts
jsedlak said:
I think George should be on the list. He is a true teammate and does an exceptional job. I don't think such a list should be based on tours won or even stages won.
I forget if it was in 1995 or 1996 in which Hincapie at the front of a field sprint touched wheels then rode sideways across the whole road in front of everyone. This was applauded numerous times by Adrian Karsten as masterful riding, so if that's a reason to put him in the top 20, Abdujaparaov should be way ahead of him. Speaking of which, why not put Abdu in there anwyay as most dangerous rider ever :).

-ilan

·
Registered
429 Posts
jitters said:
Cipollini's the only rider ever to have 4 consecutive stage wins. Plus a quick google search reveals he also has 12 stage wins.

Though there's been a lot of great riders in the tour, I think Cipollini does deserve to be on that list.
Plus Cipollini is one of the only riders to change the look of the Tour forever. Without him there wouldn't be color matched shorts/bikes/shoes/etc. for the competition leaders.

-ilan

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
ilan said:
Plus Cipollini is one of the only riders to change the look of the Tour forever. Without him there wouldn't be color matched shorts/bikes/shoes/etc. for the competition leaders.

-ilan
Then Cipo can go on Project Runway and be on their list.

So, now to be a great tour rider we need to list everyone that has matching team kits and is a great team mate. Tour winners be damned.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I think you can make the arguement either way about lance and eddy. Eddy more dominating, lance with more wins in a competitive era.

Hinault should be ahead of anquetil.

As for racers 6-20, I think they themselves would laugh at the list.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.