Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or is Al Trautwig a lot less annoying than in the previous two years? I actually don't cringe when he speaks, nor do my eyes bulge at one of his questions. I guess he has turned the corner on cycling.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
goose127 said:
Is it me or is Al Trautwig a lot less annoying than in the previous two years? I actually don't cringe when he speaks, nor do my eyes bulge at one of his questions. I guess he has turned the corner on cycling.
If he'd stop saying "Bob Key" and Hincapie would stop saying "Thhore" I'd be happier.

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
If he'd stop saying "Bob Key" and Hincapie would stop saying "Thhore" I'd be happier.
Are you ever happy about anything :D

G

·
Eh, he probably isn't allowed to say Boob-ka on tv. Imagine if he had to refer to him as his cycling buddies do - Booby, that's go over real great with the network execs, lol!

PS Yes, he is much less annoying this year - which may be good because I think Phil is starting to lose it abit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Oh he went backward last night. While the cameras were on Egoi Martinez getting attended to at the medical car he felt the need to say that Martinez was getting a free ride and holding onto the car for an excessive amount of time. WTF is he supposed to do Al? First he crashes, then he is supposed to continue pedalling while they attend to him at the medical car? Has he ever actually paid attention to the race before, nobody rides while being attended to by the tour doctors. The guy is and will always be a loser. Lets face it they do not need him. Only some idiot TV exec who knows next to nothing about bicycle racing would think they need this oral klutz as the show "anchor".

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
might have been stolen from phil...

mikeman said:
Oh he went backward last night. While the cameras were on Egoi Martinez getting attended to at the medical car he felt the need to say that Martinez was getting a free ride and holding onto the car for an excessive amount of time.
i watched the original morning coverage and phil commentated on that. but with phil it was more of a passing, "and he's holding on to the medical car there. he might wanna be careful about holding on too long, but the race directors probably wont mind as it's the doctor and not his team car."

i imagine the traut was just copying what phil had said, but got it a bit wrong.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Including him in the mix is very smart on OLN's part. It's all about money. More money comes from more viewers. Joe Public doesn't know Phil, Paul or this goofy "Bobbkie" are from a hole in the wall. But they know who Al Trautwig is. Suddenly, it adds some clout to the broadcast and makes the sport more mainstream. Al has done some homework and has learned about the sport, I'm impressed. He's told by the producers to "play dumb" and pose basic questions to the other experts so that new viewers don't get bored and switch off because they don't understand what is going on.

brewster

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
it's not the questions that bother me...

brewster said:
He's told by the producers to "play dumb" and pose basic questions to the other experts so that new viewers don't get bored and switch off because they don't understand what is going on.
there's just something about his personality that rubs me the wrong way. and sometimes he says things that are way off. he is very good (i cant believe i said that) when he plays the average joe asking questions. but when he and bob are commentating it is unbearable. my wife insisted we get a dvr so we could watch the race with only paul and phil commentating.

well, that and to turn it into a friends/sex in the city on-demand machine. i will have you know i have been able to reclaim enough space for the tour, PTI, the boondocks, moral orel, and robot chicken. but thats about it. the rest is friends, sex in the city, all my children, and some show called surviving motherhood.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
goose127 said:
I agree. I said the same a few days ago, and received flamage from the typical pompous "cycling is our sport and you can't come in" enthusiasts. Trautwig does a solid job and provides the needed main stream connection. I'm sure he "dumbs it down" intentionally, asking fundamental questions of which he surely knows the answers, in order to bring in the casual fan. After all, he has covered the Tour since Lemond's win in1989.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Just you...

goose127 said:
OK, maybe not JUST you, but I still find him extremely annoying... Maybe I can't let bygones be bygones and all, but he still exudes annoyance. I'll take Paul and Phil anyday of the week over Al and Bobke as far as commentary. I've got the TiVo set up to record the morning show instead of watching the evening show. Too much BS in the nighttime, not enough race coverage.

·
I'm wearing 4" stilettos
205 Posts
I agree, Al is not as bad as he's been in years past but he doesn't have cycling in his blood and it shows in his commentary....the man never gets excited about anything, and his dead-pan delivery is bringing Bobke down. Example:

Al & Bob commenting on a crash: Looks like there's been a crash...doesn't look too bad.

Phil & Paul commenting on a crash: CRASH!!! CRASH!!! THERE'S BEEN A CRASH!!!! OHHHHH, AND IT DOESN'T LOOK GOOD!!! A TOUCH OF WHEELS AND THAT RIDER'S HOPES AND DREAMS HAVE BEEN DASHED ALONG THE PAVEMENT! OH THE FICKLE HAND OF THE TOUR STRIKES AGAIN!!!!!

Al Pout-wig:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Better Still, let's get the entire New York Rangers commentry crew on there -- Al T., Sam Rosen, John Davidson (maybe even Stan Fishler, and Deb Kauffman for sure) -- guaranteed it would be entertaining, And Sam could call the fights when the fisticuffs break out. Oh wait. forgot it's not hockey season, but TdF is right up there with it.

Let's Go Rangers!

Sorry couldn't resist.

·
Registered
83 Posts
"What are clinchers?"

C'mon,....big Al is commenting on the biggest bike race in the World and he doesn't know what a clincher is? He is a highly paid professional and and should have known better. Just a little prior research would help. I am still annoyed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.