Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I slammed Specialized for what I believed to be a faulty tube. I was wrong! It's the @#$%^ Slime Liners that caused several tubes to go flat because the sharp edges rubbed a hole. How ironic because they are suppose to stop flats. Avoid this P.O.S. at all costs. What a waste of $10.99. New and improved...yeah right!

· Registered
902 Posts
Sorry to hear that as I have not heard of many people having problems with tire liners as for some - many riders in places like El Paso, Texas and Albuquerque, New Mexico would not dream of riding without them - they are a fact of life in the west . Just curious, did you apply talcum powder to the tubes before installing the lines and were the liners the correct width for the rim you were using? If the liners are not working, I have been told that the same folks out west have had good results running narrow clinchers inside wider clinchers.

· Registered
232 Posts
As a former mechanic, I saw many a flat caused by tire liners. I would never use them myself, I just think there are better options. For starters, the Armadillo tires from Specialized work pretty well. If you still have issues, back them up with Airlock tubes (which are both lighter and longer lasting than Slime tubes).

I've actually found Specialized tubes to be quite reliable

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These where for 700c rims. Had them on Campy Zondas with Vittoria Rubinos (tire pressure 140 lbs). I ran them at 125 max. For some reason Slime Liners "new and improved" version are hard and sharp at the ends. Where they overlap inside the tire is where the flats were caused. The old Slime Liners were heavier but softer and I never had a problem. Whoever is in charge of their research and development should be fired.

· Registered
68 Posts
Liners have caused me problems

I recently had a rash of flats that I narrowed down to the tire liners.
  1. Correct sized liners
  2. New tires (Rubino Pros)
  3. Talced tubes
]

So I really started looking at the tubes. Well the tubes had a wear line in them, and the hole in the tube was on the wear line. The line was right where the liner was. So I got ride of the liners and not a problem since.

So I personally have sworn off liners. I will deal with having to change tubes or patch them.

Monte

· Registered
834 Posts
Not to dis Spec, 'cause I think overall their stuff is very good. But I had a (rare for me) flat a few months back. The tube that flatted was a Spec, never found why it flatted (no thorns, nails, glass or pinch flat holes). Whipped the 1st Spec. tube outta the box....crimeny! It was flat from the box! Same with the 2nd! Lucky I had a 3rd. On the subject of flats, I know folks don't like the ride quality of Armadillos, but if you want few to no flats, that's what you use, out here in the great Southwest.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
It has been long known that liners can damage tubes. Most liners I have dealt with acknowledge this on the packaging and make recommendations on how to install them to minimize this problem. However, given the nature of the product (which is a kludge that no tire or tube is designed to be compatible with), they are not going to work for everyone.

Yeah, it is still a pain if you among the minority of people who run into the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.