Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've visited Big Bend many times, but all were before I started cycling. Can anyone recommend ride routes of 50-80 miles? I'm thinking of Chisos Basin to Santa Elena Canyon, but wanted to get some advice or recommended routes. Thanks in advance. :D

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Man, what a great idea.

It's been years since I've been to Big Bend, but when I was there last the roads were fantastic.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I remember, the roads are great. But I honestly can't remember if there are nice shoulders or not, but I know the roads are LIGHTLY traveled. As far as cyclocross, there are definitely some unpaved routes that the MTBers use. I read some stuff about that a few years ago, but can't remember details.

If I firm up some plans, I'll post again. It will probably be in the Fall, as it's already pretty hot outside the Chisos Basin elevations.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
There are several good websites if you google "Big Bend cycling"

Here's one:
http://www.bicyclebigbend.com/bicyclebigbend_003.htm

Personally, I'd take an mtb. Sure, there's excellent road riding but the essence of Big Bend is remote backcountry, and they have lots of jeep trails. Just be smart about supplies / repair / water / letting someone know where you're gonna be and when you should be back.

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
I know you can't bike on the singletrack. Not sure about the jeep trails. I really want to road bike out there some time as well - but as you know from being there it is really, really, really hot. You'd seriously need a couple gallons of water to make it through the day.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I definitely won't be riding outside of the Chisos Basin until late Fall at the earliest. And there's not enough road in the Basin to warrant a trip. I've hiked in the Basin in the Summer, but no way would I ride outside the Basin, unless maybe from 6a-9a only.

· Registered
6 Posts
Me and a group of friends go out 3 times a year. The Ft. Davis race (Feb/March), June and Oct. We have ridden all over the park and the scenic loop around Ft. Davis is very nice. Our usual trip is we stay in Marathon and ride from there one day to the park. If you stay in the park in the Basin, you will have a pretty nasty climb in and out everyday. If you want more details on actual routes, places to stay, etc.. Please leave your email address and I will contact you out of the forum

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.