Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm posting this for a buddy of mine. He's having a spanky new Serotta Ottrott built and is not sure what wheels to put on it. The catch is he's a big boy, about 6' 3 " and 250 lbs. He won't be racing, but he has cracked 2 mountain bike frames so far, so I suspect these wheels will see some stress.

The Mavic SL's were recommended to him by the bike dealer. Are they strong enough?

Any recommendations/help would be appreciated..............

Keep the rubber side down...................

Regards,
Tim

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just got my wheels from Colo Cyclist: 32/36 CXP33 with Ult hubs, 14/15 spokes. $264 delivered.
I am 255lbs and ride a Tarmac Pro. That build is really solid, actually noticibly different (harsher, stiffer?) from the K elites they replaced. They feel heavier as well, a little more sluggish on the accellerations. But I decided on them because I am tired of worrying about breaking spokes and knocking my wheels out of true and I am pretty sure these won't have that problem. Going with a 700 x 25 tire makes a big difference in ride quality. I run a 23 on front and a 25 on back, but have run a 28 at times on the rear.

Your pal will have a hard time keeping those SLs in true. That new ride of his deserves a handbuilt wheelset.

Also as suggested, if he can spring for DA hubs, I'd do it. That might help the accelleration of a heavier wheelset? $440 at Colo Cyclist with my build specs.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm 275 lbs and have been riding open pro's D/A hubs 36rear 32 frt for about a year now, and have put around 2500 miles on them. They have been rock solid, I've not had to true them at all, and they seem to ride great. I do recomend 25c tires for a large rider though. they give a lot more air volume which will greatly reduce pich flats, and will also make any wheel last longer also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.