Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what clincher tires are available or coming up that is on the bigger end of the scale that will still fit in most frames.

I see that Hutchinson Bulldogs are around 36mm measured. A crow is 47mm measured. What's in between those two that you can buy today?

Michelin mud2 measures about 34mm.
Maxxis 35c measure about 32mm.
WTB Interwolf 38c measure about 33mm.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Schwalbe Racing Ralphs? 700x35.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
cyclocross magazine has a very comprehensive CX tire review in issue #3, just out now. the widest of the 25 tires reviewed looks to be the hutchinson bulldog, ritcey excavader, and the Challenge Grifo. The actual measurement versus the listed measurement varied, but I imagine it depends on the rim that the tire is mounted on.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
The 47mm crow is not a cyclocross tire at all and won't fit in the vast majority of frames.

UCI regs limit the width of tires to 35mm, so there isn't much development of cyclocross tires in the size range you are looking at. While most races aren't UCI sanctioned, the regs do influence equipment selection, so there are few tires that are claimed or measure larger than 35mm.

If anything, oversize tires seem to be disappearing faster than they are being brought to market. WTB Mutano 44C gone. Conti Twister Pro 37C gone(?).

The IRC Mythos is available in 42C, but only in the porky wire bead version.

·
Registered
337 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
I have 700x40 Mythos on my crosser. They are plenty in the woods. I'd hate to have to race them though...
+1. I measure mine at 38mm (casing) on CXP33 rims. I have had the unfortunate experience of racing them, as they were on my pit wheels for exactly one race. I immediately bought another set of backup tires following that little experiment in rolling resistance.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the posts guys. Some new tires to me, as well as confirmation of some tires disappearing.

I ran the Stans Crow in front, and was looking for a match in the rear, as the Crow won't fit. The 35mm measured tires look quite small back there.

I saw that the Bonty XR 1.75 supposedly measures about 44mm. Can anyone verify that, and or has run this? Good tire in that size?

This is not for racing, so no worries there.

·
Great White North
1,141 Posts
rensho said:
Thanks for the posts guys. Some new tires to me, as well as confirmation of some tires disappearing.

I ran the Stans Crow in front, and was looking for a match in the rear, as the Crow won't fit. The 35mm measured tires look quite small back there.

I saw that the Bonty XR 1.75 supposedly measures about 44mm. Can anyone verify that, and or has run this? Good tire in that size?

This is not for racing, so no worries there.
Bonty makes both a 1.8 and a 1.75 in different treads, maybe the ACX and the Jones designs, their website should say.. Haven't ridden either, so I can't vouch for size.

I think Kenda makes the small block 8 in a 37mm or so size, and the Conti Vapor is rated at a 1.9 but is pretty small too, maybe down to a 1.8..

WTB makes an inter(?)wolf cross oriented tire that's around a 44 also, or used to anyway..

Plum

·
Registered
455 Posts
Dajianshan said:
Tell me about the Locusts... how'd they perform besides being "heavy"?
Great, like a hard-pack mountain bike tire. Closely spaced knobs, big corner knobs, ramps on the trailing edge of the center knobs for lower rolling resistance and a very firm, large casing make it feel like a quality mountain bike tire.

They're great for rocks, bombing fire roads, riding your cx bike like a mountain bike. They weigh a good 100g more than a racy clincher, and the firm casing doesn't give you the same quality feel at low psi as a more supple casing.

They do kind pack up in mud.

They work for me. We don't get much mud in NorCal until the cx season is almost over, in January.

Morgan

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On that same Murphy ride, my buddy rode Maxxis Mimo front and Mud2 rear. Worked OK on ~34psi tubeless Ksyrium ES. The Mimo front is kinda small, like a 32mm

I rode the monster Crow front and the Interwolf 38c rear. The big front slows the handling a bit, which was a good thing on that ride.

I'm happy to report that the Crow just clears an Easton 90 cx fork. No mud clearance at all, but it does clear by about 3-4mm all the way around.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.