Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Takes the yellow :thumbsup: He must be on PEDs - like ginseng :wink: Real smart move taking the intermediate sprint points - an a fast move by the CA rider who pipped him so he only got 2 seconds.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
AJL said:
Takes the yellow :thumbsup: He must be on PEDs - like ginseng :wink: Real smart move taking the intermediate sprint points - an a fast move by the CA rider who pipped him so he only got 2 seconds.

Everyone keeps saying Johann is a genius.

They probably had it all figured out...

·
Registered
789 Posts
GH- Discovery team.

AJL said:
Clever and cunningly executed! As eloquently stated by our legendary Lance Armstrong:
"EVERY SECOND COUNTS". Yes, it placed a mean and trimmed George in the yellow jersey! Excellent timing for the coach involved. I feel sorry for Thor's mishap. The TDF officials should definitely re-evaluate balancing the fans need to express their passion for the racers and the Tour vs. the safety of the cyclists involved. I pray Thor is back tomorrow with a nicely stitched arm and show us some more of his northern racing fire.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bas said:
Everyone keeps saying Johann is a genius.

They probably had it all figured out...
Yeah, obviously I was only joking - George is a strong rider, but isn't known for his tactical genius.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Every second counts? Perhaps, but every yellow jersey counts moreso as a feather in his cap. Being ten seconds ahead of the contenders on day two is akin to having a man on 1st base in the first inning: it's nearly meaningless. The first real test will be the first TT next Saturday.

·
Registered
777 Posts
SuperB said:
Does Johann want to hold the Yellow jersey this early in the race?
Given that Hincapie isn't really a contender for the overall, and I don't think Discovery really has one, I'd bet that JB and the team management are very, very happy. They've got an American rider in yellow. That's good for the sponsors, and they're writing the checks.

None of that is a bash on Hincapie. He's a great cyclist, perhaps the greatest American roadman, but he's not really a Tour winner. He's more Sean Kelly than Lance Armstrong. Although I often wish he had Kelly's race sense....

--Shannon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It does look like he is hungry - I'm wouldn't be surprised if he was in the top 3 for the 1st ITT (which could be an american sweep).

·
Registered
599 Posts
SuperB said:
Does Johann want to hold the Yellow jersey this early in the race?
Obviously having the early yellow should please the sponsors but to me Johan's plan is to use George as a smokescreen, taking attention away from their real GC man, Salvodeli.
Despite all the downplaying of team expecations in the press,Discovery is seriously gunning for the top step of the podium in Paris for Paolo and hopefully manage a top 5 for George as an aside if it doesn't hamper the overall.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good point, I thought that Johan was playing things down too much. He probably can't believe his luck in having Ulle and Basso out, though I think he is serious about his concerns for the sport.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.