Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here, but have been riding for many years (mtb, not so much road). I've now come to a point in my life where I can afford and have the area to ride a road bike, which has always been missing from my stable. I can get a great deal on a '06 Fuji Team complete bike, but the carbon frame raises some questions with me. The road enthusiast/riders at the local bike shop say go for it, but several of my riding buddies (both mtb and road) are telling me to steer clear at my current size which hovers between 245 and 250 lbs.

I'm looking to road riding to get in shape and open some new riding opportunities for me in the Washington DC metro area. My current mtb xc/singlespeed steed has plenty of carbon on it, such as handlebar, seatstays, and seatpost. I've not had a single problem with any of these components, which has me thinking a complete carbon frame would be no different. However, between riding buddies and a little fear of the unknown about my size mixed with carbon has me heavily questioning the frame.

What are your thoughts, go for it or stay away and go aluminum or steel?
Thanks!

(edit) I should add that I have test rode a few aluminum and steel complete bikes, as well as the Fuji Team carbon. I really loved the ultra smooth feel of steel and the carbon, but the aluminum ride felt just okay...not bad by any means, but not really smooth like the steel or carbon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm 250 plus or minus and have been on a Trek 5200 Carbon road bike for 3 plus years with no problems at all. I'll log about 2000-2500 miles a season. I would be more concerned with wheels (in general). I think if you go super prissy on the wheels, ya might have a problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SkippyCycle said:
I'm 250 plus or minus and have been on a Trek 5200 Carbon road bike for 3 plus years with no problems at all. I'll log about 2000-2500 miles a season. I would be more concerned with wheels (in general). I think if you go super prissy on the wheels, ya might have a problem.

Good luck!
Ah, exactly what I was wanting to hear, true words based on personal experience. Most of the guys around here that ride road are under 190'ish, so all they could offer up advice wise was pure speculation. In regards to the wheels, the stock wheelset is an Alex 28h radial lace front and 32h rear, which I "think" should be plenty fine. Any wheelset you would suggest I look into? Weight isn't really as big an issue as reliability is with me.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
No personal experience, but I ride with someone about your size

possibly larger, I've never asked. Our LBS put him on a Fuji Team with no problem. They did, however, suggest he go to a heavier weight wheelset. I think he used a Velocity Deep V set with either 36 or 32 spokes front and rear. He really liked the bike until it was stolen (along with his truck) and now he is riding a Kestral Talon, another carbon frame and using the Deep V wheels. I wouldn't expect you to have problems with the frame, but switching out the stock wheelset would probably be a good idea.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm 215 and test rode a 06 Fuji Team Issue, frame cracked at the top of the post where the seat clamp goes. I was riding and the seat kept sliping, we couldnt get it to crank down anymore and looked and saw it was cracked at the frame

Could be low quality Fuji product?

My weight is not suited for Full CF bike?

or a fluke, no company is perfect

I didnt buy a Fuji after that, I went with the CDale Six13 which I previously was told to stay away from and my friends who ride the high end Euro bikes almost had me talked into one their bikes they swear by. I rode Look, Cervelo,Fuji,Felt,Scott and Cannondale. Cannondale was my favorite of all of them, period.

After spending time on some of the higher end Euro bikes I feel they are designed for the smaller Euro riders, just my opinion but I'll continue to stick with the American bikes that can handle the big guys

Happy I stayed with the quality and comfort I've always known.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Alex Rims I'm sure would be fine. I'v got a pair of cyclocross rims on track hubs on my track bike. Track puts way more stress than anyone would put on a road bike and these wheels are extremely stiff and durable.

Plus I'm sure the carbon is fine. Just look at Ullrich:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go for it my fellow Clydsdale!

I'm 210ish and have been riding a Felt F2C full carbn frame for about two months. Like you've already noticed, the ride quality of a carbon frame is just to sweet to pass.

I haven't seen any problems with flexing or softening of the frame, and none of the LBSs I visited while doing research/shopping around had anything negative to say regarding my weight vs a carbon frame bike. The only advice they gave me, and this is regardless of your size/weight is never put a carbon frame on a trainer.

This being said, my bike came stock with Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels; I have the equivalent (crossrocs) on my MTB and have never had any issues with flexing, bent or broken spokes, etc. Just make sure that the wheels are strong enough to carry you around and ride on!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I say go for it!

I rode a Trek 5200 for four years with absolutely NO problems, even with the Rolf wheels, whch never went out-of-true. I now ride a Trek 5900 and a Madone 5.2. I would recommend test riding a Trek if you haven't yet. Nice bikes.

I had a Klein Quantum Race (aluminum frame/carbon fork) before my 5200. Identical Ultegra drivetrain, but the Klein just pounded me in comparison to the buttery smooth ride of the carbon frame. Once I rode the 5200, I never rode the Klein again.

BTW- I'm about 230 lbs at the moment.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I don't much care for those wheels.

Alex isn't the best stuff (I work in a shop and we see lots of them coming back). At your size and with a MTB background you might be a little hard on those wheels. I'd ask the shop about upgrading to Mavic wheels.

The frame should be fine if you liked the feel on a test ride. No worries at all on the strength of the thing, manufactures way overbuild for strength.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just test rode a Cannondale Synapse Carbon today -- very sweet ride, wouldn't hesitate if I had the $$$$. I'm 212# What a ride!

But one word of advice -- from my experience with carbon skinned boards that've taken a few hits from rocks and parking lot grit -- I can tell you you better think about babying it a bit, or rather a lot.

Ya can't just throw it in the back of the van with a bunch of sharp metal objects or other equipment and whatnot -- that would lead to dings that would probably compromise the frame.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm 240, and rode a 5200 for 3 years w/ no problems...

I am also 6'5", so sizing was a bigger deal for me. I ended up on a custom Seven, but loved the carbon ride. (don't get me wrong...I LOVE the Ti ride also and will keep my Seven for life).

Like other posters, don't skimp on wheels. I ride handbuilt Velocity Aeroheads/DT Swiss 240s. 32 spoke front and rear. Bombproof and fast. I have also ridden Deep Vs, but didn't like them as well (and it is VERY hilly in north Georgia). Get a good set of handbuilts and you will be very happy with the carbon frame.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,032 Posts
rideorglide said:
Just test rode a Cannondale Synapse Carbon today -- very sweet ride, wouldn't hesitate if I had the $$$$. I'm 212# What a ride!

But one word of advice -- from my experience with carbon skinned boards that've taken a few hits from rocks and parking lot grit -- I can tell you you better think about babying it a bit, or rather a lot.

Ya can't just throw it in the back of the van with a bunch of sharp metal objects or other equipment and whatnot -- that would lead to dings that would probably compromise the frame.
Any why would you do that with ANY bike?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.