Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tip the scales at 320lbs and am looking for a wheelset that can take my commute through crappy Los Angeles streets.

For my recently bought a Salsa Vaya touring bike frame (56cm size) that accepts 700cc wheels.

I've been eyeing mountain bike wheel sets actually, they need to have disc brake hubs.

Are there any wheelsets you guys can recommend, Handbuilt or machine built?

I'm willing to spend up $400.. hope that is enough for a quality wheelset to take on my weight.

thanks again, I've been searching, but I see lots of recommendations for road rim-brake wheelsets for big guys, but I need disc-brake compatible wheels

·
Registered
891 Posts
What about DT Swiss TK540 rims with 36 spokes and Ultegra or 105 hubs? That will be really strong, and you can use wide tires with them to make the ride even better.

Edit: for disk hubs you can use Shimano disk hubs instead of the hubs I recommended. What is the rear dropout spacing of your frame?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Look into some wider tires too... not sure how wide you can go on that frame/fork combo, but I'd see if you can get some 28mm/32mm tires on there. That'll do wonders for comfort + help the wheels stay intact.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts