Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together a roadbike and need some advice on wheels.

My parameters...
1) Must be strong as I'm 260 lbs.
2) At 260 lbs I don't care too much about one wheelset weighing 500 grams more than another.
3) I don't care for boutique hubs, except for Phil Wood and King.
4) I do not race, nor do I intend to..
5) The roads around here leave much to be desired.
6) I ride daily (weather permitting) 15-40 miles.

Questions...

1) What is the ideal spoke count front/rear for someone my size... 32,36,40,etc...?
2) Rims & Hubs to stay away from?
3) Rims & Hubs to consider?
4) Are 32h Campy Record hubs a valid choice, as I have a pair already?
5) Tubular or Clincher?

Thanks for any insight...

Derek

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Wheels forum?

Just so you know, there is a wheels and tires forum. At any rate, for your weight, I would go 36 in the back. Probably could go 32 in the front, but then you'd have two different spoke lengths, and why not just go 36 f/r. Good rims would be Veleocity Aerohead/Aerohead OC, MAVIC OpenPro. A really strong rim would be the Velocity DeepV.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I'm w/Kerry--you need 36 spokes.

I weigh about 235 now, but I've been up where you are, and I've had problems whenever I've tried to get away with fewer than 36 spokes, at least in back. The Velocity Deep Vs are heavy, but a good choice for general riding, and as you mentioned, at our weight, an extra couple of ounces in a wheel isn't a big deal.
If you're looking for built wheels rather than custom, you might check with Rivendell, www.rivbike.com. Can't remember their wheel guy's name, but he's been helpful and, so far, dead accurate when I've called with questions. I bought a set of these:
http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/wheels/18103.html
last spring, and they've worked fine for 2000 miles including some fire trails on my Atlantis.

Kerry Irons said:
Just so you know, there is a wheels and tires forum. At any rate, for your weight, I would go 36 in the back. Probably could go 32 in the front, but then you'd have two different spoke lengths, and why not just go 36 f/r. Good rims would be Veleocity Aerohead/Aerohead OC, MAVIC OpenPro. A really strong rim would be the Velocity DeepV.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Open Pro or Velocity

I'm a Clydsedale myself. I'm currently running 36 hole Mavic Open Pros on my geared bike and 36 hole Velocity Deep V's on my fixed gear. Both sets have held up very well to lots of miles on some pretty crappy roads. I'd say either one would work well for you. One thing to keep in mind, the quality of the wheel build is as important (maybe more so?) than the parts.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
American Classic Hurricanes.

I tested them and couldn't break them or even knock them out of true....

I raced at 230lbs last year and they never had a problem. Tell them Scott told you to call and see if they will give you a discount....

The Flash

·
Registered
61 Posts
Deep Vs

I've been where you are, and I destroyed a bunch of wheels on my way down, with Alex AT-400s (200 miles) being the worst.

I had a set of Ultegra / 36 hole Deep V wheels made for me, and they have covered me from 260 down to 205. I must have 5000 miles on them so far.

They've never even gone out of true. You won't notice the weight, and they won't leave you stranded by the roadside miles from home or car, wondering how you're going to get back.

They are all that the other posters have said they are.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
More Choices

Easton (Velomax) circuits.

Shimano 540's

The circuits are similar to the Deep V's fairly light.

The Shimanos are a low spoke count but with a fairly deep profile rim. You can get these used for 140 or less

I float between 250 and 265 and have not had a problem with either of these.

·
Registered
376 Posts
A second for the Easton Circuits

Strong and sturdy, but still light and fast.

I'm 6'5" 250lbs (but coming down!). I also must be unique, as I have ridden Rolf's (pro and comp), Velomax Circuit and Orions, open pro/Aerohead/Deep V 32 spoke, and am now riding Campy Protons. No issues at all. (In fact, the only spokes I have ever broken have been on my 32 spoke wheelsets). But the Velomax wheels had the best feel of all of them, and the hubs are just outstanding.

Frankly the Campy Proton's just feel TOO light for me, but they don't flex under load and I only bought them as I got the set for $260 new (and Easton has yet to release the Campy hub version of the Circuit).

Clearly a 36 spoke wheel (I like the Aeroheads personally better than the deep V) has no question marks for durability. Also get's a thumbs up for easy spoke replacement should you ever break one.

·
Registered
251 Posts
CO Cyclist Open Pros

russkat said:
I'm putting together a roadbike and need some advice on wheels.

My parameters...
1) Must be strong as I'm 260 lbs.
2) At 260 lbs I don't care too much about one wheelset weighing 500 grams more than another.
3) I don't care for boutique hubs, except for Phil Wood and King.
4) I do not race, nor do I intend to..
5) The roads around here leave much to be desired.
6) I ride daily (weather permitting) 15-40 miles.

Questions...

1) What is the ideal spoke count front/rear for someone my size... 32,36,40,etc...?
2) Rims & Hubs to stay away from?
3) Rims & Hubs to consider?
4) Are 32h Campy Record hubs a valid choice, as I have a pair already?
5) Tubular or Clincher?

Thanks for any insight...

Derek
I'm very happy with my Colorado Cyclist-built Open Pros with Ultegra Rims. 32 front 36 rear. I weigh 230 and have about 5,000 miles on them so far and they're still perfectly true.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts