Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 630 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to find out what all the other Clydesdale's are riding out there.....do you love your stuff or would you like something else.......

45 years old
6' 2"
210 lbs.
30-100 miles a week (more when the days get longer)
Look KG461
Shimano '04 Dura Ace 10 speed groupo
Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL2's wheelset
Conti Attack / Force tires
Easton EC 70 post
Fisik Arione saddle
Ritchey WCS stem
FSA K-Wing bars
Topeak Panoram Computer
I love this set up!

G-dub
:cool:

·
Off the back
326 Posts
Great minds think alike my large friend!

G-dub said:
I'd like to find out what all the other Clydesdale's are riding out there.....do you love your stuff or would you like something else.......

45 years old
210 lbs.
30-100 miles a week (more when the days get longer)
Look KG461
Shimano '04 Dura Ace 10 speed groupo
Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL2's wheelset
Conti Attack / Force tires
Easton EC 70 post
Fisik Arione saddle
Ritchey WCS stem
FSA K-Wing bars
Topeak Panoram Computer
I love this set up!

G-dub
:cool:
42 years old
230lbs
LOOK KG461 (2003 metallic blue, but I love the white too)
15-200miles per week; more in-season
Shimano 2002 Ultegra gruppo
Velocity Aerohead rims 3X with Ultegra hubs
Vredenstein Fortezza Tricomps
Deda Blackstick post (Watch the EC-70; mine shattered after one month of riding)
San Marco Era saddle
Deda Magic Stem
EC-90 bars (Those K-wings are cool)
No computer (Go minimal my large friend)

And yes, I too love this set-up

Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
Big Boys?

27 years old
220 lbs at just shy of 6ft.

Specialized Allez
Mavic Cosmic Elite Wheelset
Shimano 105
Selle Italia Max Flite Gelflow saddle

Simple, I know, but it does the trick. Do I love it? Well, "love" is such a strong term........we're kind of just really good friends.

·
Ti me up
1,242 Posts
Weighing in

I'm 36 years old. 195 to 200 lbs now, down from 242 around June last year.

About 100 miles/week right now, hoping to increase it this summer. I travel about 3 days/week in my job. Would like to do my first century this year. Every time I've tried to plan for one in the past, work has gotten crazy busy and knocked my plans out.

Main ride is a Lemond Zurich: all Ultegra, Rolf Vector Comp wheelset, Michelen Axial Pro, Specialized Body Geometry Ti saddle, Cateye Mity 3. Not wild about the saddle, but haven't hated it enough to replace it yet.

Other bikes in the stable are older model Torelli Corsa Strada with Sachs/105 mix and Mavic MA-40s, K2 Attack 3.0 MB with Deore, and old Giant hybrid with a real mongrel mix of components and huge panniers. The Giant is my commuter bike and any errand less than a 20 mile round trip, I default to it unless there's a good reason to do otherwise. (Still, it's a big heavy boat anchor, and I'm thinking about outfitting the Torelli with panniers.)

Riding has been great for a formerly creaky back, has contributed to the weight loss (along with cutting out breads and sugars), improving my general energy level, and gives me a lot of enjoyment. I'll never be a racer, will never even be that fast. But the bikes get more mileage than my car and I love riding.

·
Off the back
326 Posts
Welcome to my twilight zone!

Miggido said:
27 years old
220 lbs at just shy of 6ft.

Specialized Allez
Mavic Cosmic Elite Wheelset
Shimano 105
Selle Italia Max Flite Gelflow saddle

Simple, I know, but it does the trick. Do I love it? Well, "love" is such a strong term........we're kind of just really good friends.
I sold a 1999 Allez with 105 when I bought my LOOK. Now it's getting weird here!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I'm in denial when it comes to specifics...

...about my, ummmm, bulk vs. height, but I'm in your ballpark. As for what I ride, depends on what strikes my fancy on any given day, but it'll likely be a Bianchi Axis or Kona JtS, or if I've been really good, a VooDoo Wazoo. Drivetrains are all over the place, Frankenbiked mixes of XT, Ultegra, 105 and LX. Saddles? Lots of old Vetta Trishocks and SDG Bel-Airs. Wheels? MA3 rims or various CXP items on 105 hubs.

Would I like something else? There'll always be something new that catches my eye, but I'm insanely pleased with what I ride now.

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
My weight goes between 195-205, depending on the season. In the warmer months, I lose several lbs. because I'm riding more.

Current bike listed in 'signature'.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
20 years old, 6'2" & 220lbs
Currently ride 40-70 miles a week including daily commuting, will hopefully increase when I finish my new bike and the weather gets better.

College keeps my stable pretty meager:
- 97 Bianchi, all stock w/ Mirage...Dedacciai chro-mo w/ lugs! My current "nice" ride. (Also soon to be for sale)

- early 80's Nishiki lugged steel fixie conversion...

and finally I'm slowly amassing parts for a sweet cross/touring bike..
so far I have the Brooks saddle, some Ultegra components and misc... looking to complete it with a Surly Cross Check or Long Haul Trucker (although those Kogswell's are looking sweet) and some Maxic CXP-33 rims...

Glad to see I'm not the only one over the big 200 lurking around on a road bike. And steel most definitely is real!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm 58 (for a couple more months) and this will be my 3'rd year of cycling. First year was good for 3500 miles and managed to get in 4500 last year. I may be able to hit 5K this year but I really hate riding in the cold. Northern Illinois isn't quite the same as southern California.....but then, neither are the house payments! I'm 5' 11" and shrinking according to my trainer and have worked my way down to 195 from 255. So far, I've been happy with my C'dale R1000 mounted on Spinergy Spox and running a 9spd DA/Ultegra mix. Last Friday I sold my boat and ordered a new Trek 5500 Project One. I opted for the '04 DA 10spd. Now I'll get to see what all the hard work with the weights, spinning, and yoga this winter has done for the "motor". If the first couple of rides this weekend are any indication of the good things to come.....on your left !!!! LOL

·
Registered
216 Posts
I feel like I'm on Oprah....

34 years young
5' 11"
230 lbs (down from 250 since New Years...hopefully down to 200 by Christmas)
75-150 miles a week (c'mon equinox!)
Russ Denny frame with Reynolds X-100 tubing
Kinesis Carbon fork
Shimano RX-100 (105 predecessor) 8 speed group
Campagnolo Aero Rims
Maxxis Detonator tires
Fizik Pave saddle
Specialized Flip-Flop stem
Ritchey Biomax bars
CatEye MSC-3Dx Computer

Second ride on this setup Sunday, light, fast, comfy...and CHEAP!

·
Registered
47 Posts
well, since you asked...

6' 4"
240 lbs.
80-160 miles a week (school work being the biggest factor)
Waterford 2200 w DA 9 (my favorite)
Caad 7 w ultegra
Cadd 4 Aero TT w DA/Ultegra
Track Bike DA

wheels:
cxp-33 c king 32 spoke, my fav
cxp-33 ultegra 28, not so good
zipp 404 clydes, good so far
ksyrium elites, can't keep them true
da track laced to velocity pro elite tubs (still yet to be ridden, new)

Flite and SLR saddles

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I see a pattern here!

44 y/o, (soon to be 45), just shy of 6', 195 lbs now, 185 mid season.

2003 Look KG 461
Ksyrium SSC wheelset
D/A 9 componponents (except for and FSA pro crank and Ultegra brake calipers-I'd like to replace these with Mavic)
Weyless C/F post, ITM Less stem, Easton EC90 bar.
Time Impact mag pedals.
Love this one!
Here she is;

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Here I is

Stats:
39 (almost) years old
6' 4"
210 lbs. (right now, hey it's only March!)
average around 100 mi a week

Bike 1 (3 years old, probably ridden about 12k miles)
Steelman Stage race (60 cm, Reynolds 853)
Shimano Dura Ace 9 speed group
Dura Ace/Open Pro wheelset
Vredestein Fortezza tires
Thomson post
Selle Italia Flite saddle
Steelman steel stem
Steelman steel fork
Salsa Pro Road bar
Time Impact Mag pedals

I wouldn't change a thing with this bike

'New' bike (built in Feb)

1984 Trek Reynolds 531 lugged frame (sport geometry) & fork
Shimano 105 Crank, 42t ring, cup & cone bottom bracket
Surly track hub/Campagnolo Veloce/MA3 wheelset
Avocet 28c tires
Ritchey post
Selle San Marco Concor saddle
Dura Ace stem
Shimano 600 long reach sidepulls
15t fixed gear, 16t freewheel
Icon Sterling bar
Time Impact S pedals

I think this is going to turn into my favorite bike

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am 41 years old and I am 6'2" and weigh around 190. My ride is a 2003 Argon 18 with FSA team cranks, weyless stem, dura ace front and rear der., ultegra brakes, dura ace shifters, USE alien seat post, mavic cosmic equipe wheels and aspide saddle. Lots of carbon and rides smooth.

·
EuroCrash
478 Posts
28 years old
6'1"
210 lb aiming for 190-200 lb
60-130 miles per week

Ride 1:
Fondriest Status Carb
DA9
Campy Eurus Wheels
FSA Carb team Crank
Thomson Post
Ritchey WCS Stem
Kestrel EMS Bar

Ride 2:
Cinelli Starlight (Yep it's light and I'm fat, but it rides quite well)
DA9
Velomax Circuit Wheels
Thomson Post
Cinelli solido/a stem and bar
Fizik Aliante saddle

Ride 3:
Dean Colonel X-lite Single Speed

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Last bike I'll ever need (not the same as WANT...)

Just turned 59, 6'4", tragically hovering close to 250 (got an excuse, though: a family emergency has had me driving 600 extra miles a week to help out, so I pretty much spent the winter sitting in my car or eating fast food). Headed back down to <220 pounds.
Only about 50 miles a week now, plus a couple of hours on the trainer. Going to 125+ as soon as it's light enough to commute, with a century planned in May.
Got several bikes, but here's the main ride:
Atlantis frame
Mid-range Shimano ders. (Deore XT & LX)
Sugino XD crankset, 46-36-26 (everybody needs one)
I had 36-spoke Bontrager Fairlane rims w/XT hubs (what Rivendell puts on Atlantises it builds), but the spokes pulled out of the back rim at about 1500 miles. Riv offered a replacement at a great price, but I didn't see much point in doing the same thing again. LBS laced a Rhyno Lite to the same hub, no probs so far). 14ga. Wheelsmith spokes, three-cross front and back. Could be lighter, but I'm a big guy and the roads around here are rough.
Panaracer Pasela TG tires, 700x35 or x32 (true measurement is about 5mm skinnier; I love 'em).
Brooks B-17 saddle, Nitto long-quill stem to get the 50cm (!) Nashbar handlebars up level with the seat.
I've had this stuff about three years, around 4000 miles on this bike, and had no problems at all except for the back wheel. The wide bars are really nice--I'd recommend 48s or 50s to anybody my size.
Also got an old CDale mountain bike w/Rock Shox, otherwise stock, a lugged steel Allez w/mountain bike stem and 48cm bars and a singlespeed I built out of a Trek tourer. Everything edges toward durability rather than low weight, and hardly anything every breaks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Stats:
41 Years old
5' 11"
205 lbs
130-180 miles per week

Bikes:
Colnago Ovalmaster, Ultegra. Main bike - love this one
Serotta Colorado III, DuraAce. Long distance/unloaded touring bike
Airborne CarpeDiem, mixture of Ultegra/XT/XTR/misc. Offroad bike

Wheels:
All are Ultegra hubs w/ cxp33 rims 32/36 or 32/32 spokes.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
51,6',192lbs,
2003 Fuji Marseille 853 Steel 58cm w/Mavics Elites
100 miles aweek
2000 so far with zero problems.
Also a 2003 Felt SR71 with 1500 problem frre miles,59cm thats for sale now.

1 - 20 of 630 Posts