Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No biking this weekend. I spent the last four days relaxing on the big island at KMC in Volcano National Park. The camp is situated about one mile from the National Park visitors center and is about 200 yards from the caldera. The six year old had a blast, we took a helicopter ride yesterday. Here are some pictures. The picture with the steam rising from the ocean is where the lava meets the sea. The last couple of pictures were taken this morning with a better sun angle. The smoke rising from inside the caldera is mostly sulfer. The camp is upwind.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I didn't realize the camp is still open.

bigbill said:
No biking this weekend. I spent the last four days relaxing on the big island at KMC in Volcano National Park. The camp is situated about one mile from the National Park visitors center and is about 200 yards from the caldera.
Back in the 70's when I was riding up to the volcano (we would wheel our bikes right up to the plane and help load them; my how times have changed) the camp looked abandoned. Glad to see it is getting some use, it is a great location.

If only the plane ride wasn't so long I would love to ride on the Bic Island again. By far the best island for cyclists (if you like climbs, long rides and amazing scenery).

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Cool Bill. That's the one Island I haven't been to yet. I'd love to see the park. Pretty awesome stuff.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice photos Bill. The Big Island has such a relaxing vibe. Almost sleepy. I bet your son loved that Park. Lots of strange things to see. I'm heading to Honolulu this Friday for a week of relaxation. I'll keep an eye open for the big guy flying by wearing sandals.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gonsa said:
Nice photos Bill. The Big Island has such a relaxing vibe. Almost sleepy. I bet your son loved that Park. Lots of strange things to see. I'm heading to Honolulu this Friday for a week of relaxation. I'll keep an eye open for the big guy flying by wearing sandals.
If it is the weekend, look for a big guy on a red Pegoretti with regular cycling shoes and a green CA helmet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.