Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding on/off for two years now. My wife is a triathelete and well, you know how it goes ... get off your fat ... So here I am. I'm training for the El Tour de Tucson 109 mile ride this November. Right now I am in Build Phase of a 30 week program towards preparing for the race. Easiest ride is a 24-25 mile work out with my long rides hitting 65-75 miles. For example this week was Mon-off, Tues-24 pace, Wed 25-intervals, Thurs-off, Fri-25 all out sprint (trying to beat my PR for avg speed), Sat-20 easy, Sun-65 group ride. Avg speed is up to 16-17 mph for most of the rides and the long rides staying around 15-16. So that's the history.

What I want advise on is a new bike. I'm 6' 1' at 250 lbs (but am quickly reducing that weight - thank goodness!). I thought I was serious about a new Orbea Orca fitted with Campi Record, but have read a couple reviews that has me re-think that idea. It's not necessarily the price that is the concern, its the torque issue in the frame because I'm a big guy!

Any suggestions are welcome. What brought me to the Orca in the first place was the look :thumbsup: It's sexy and there's not anything out there that looks like it. I am a fan of carbon, cause I work with it in aerospace applications. That being said - I "think" I want something with a unique look made out of carbon, but will consider everything.

Darn it, I want to be faster, able to climb our local mountain with my wife (she has a Guru Tri) without stopping 90 times and something comfortable on century rides. Help?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Get the 2009 Felt F3, Sram red is the best.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
TJTucson said:
I've been riding on/off for two years now. My wife is a triathelete and well, you know how it goes ... get off your fat ... So here I am. I'm training for the El Tour de Tucson 109 mile ride this November. Right now I am in Build Phase of a 30 week program towards preparing for the race. Easiest ride is a 24-25 mile work out with my long rides hitting 65-75 miles. For example this week was Mon-off, Tues-24 pace, Wed 25-intervals, Thurs-off, Fri-25 all out sprint (trying to beat my PR for avg speed), Sat-20 easy, Sun-65 group ride. Avg speed is up to 16-17 mph for most of the rides and the long rides staying around 15-16. So that's the history.

What I want advise on is a new bike. I'm 6' 1' at 250 lbs (but am quickly reducing that weight - thank goodness!). I thought I was serious about a new Orbea Orca fitted with Campi Record, but have read a couple reviews that has me re-think that idea. It's not necessarily the price that is the concern, its the torque issue in the frame because I'm a big guy!

Any suggestions are welcome. What brought me to the Orca in the first place was the look :thumbsup: It's sexy and there's not anything out there that looks like it. I am a fan of carbon, cause I work with it in aerospace applications. That being said - I "think" I want something with a unique look made out of carbon, but will consider everything.

Darn it, I want to be faster, able to climb our local mountain with my wife (she has a Guru Tri) without stopping 90 times and something comfortable on century rides. Help?
TJ, welcome to the boards. Well as someone who is larger than you, you really shouldn't have any problem finding a bike that will fit your needs. Just stay away from ultra light frames. I currently ride a Giant TCR carbon frame with Dura Ace build and haven't had any
problems with it and my size. The one place you will probably have to sacrifice weight for strength will be your wheelset more than anything else. I would suggest a higher spoke count wheel. I currently ride the venerable Mavic Open Pro with Dura Ace hubs. Great wheelset for the big guys but there are others that work just as well. Also just to let you know it is tough for big guys to go up the mountains. Watch a mountain stage of any race and it is NEVAR the big guy up there first. We make it up on the downhill though. Good luck with your training.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.