Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The family and I (plus two other families) are heading to Big Sky, MT the end of July. While there, we will go to Yellowstone (of course) but would want to do a few other things while in the area. My question: do we have to "book" these in advance and therefore, plan every friggin' minute of our 10 days or can we book these when we get there.

FYI: There will be 6 adults and 11 kids from ages 3 to 14. Most of the kids are 8-14 and are very active kids.

What we would like to do individually, or as a group:

MTBing (me)
kayaking/rafting/canoiing
hiking
fly fishing
overnight camping??
shopping....the ladies in Bozeman for a day.
Horseback riding on trails
...there are probably things I'm missing......

Any input, direction, recommendations of place to go, people to call, would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mostly spent time in SW Mt and at Big Sky in the winter time. However, one piece of advice from my experience with kids at Yellowstone. Take bikes to Yellowstone - particularly to the Old Faithful area - your kids will enjoy it a lot more than walking, and you will all get to see a lot more - additionally, everybody will be happy that they don't have to get in and out of the car so much (the number of cars and the way it is set up mostly for cars is what drives me nuts about that place). Other worthwhile bike rides for kids in Yellowstone include Steamboat Springs trail; Fairy Falls trail; a trail in the Northeast near Mammoth around an old volcano - can't remember the name. Look on the park map - you'll see several possible bike rides. My $.02 worth. Have fun! It is a beautiful place.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The NE entrance to Yellowstone NP is Cooke City. There is a GREAT ride from there to Red Lodge MT over the Beartooth mountains. Definitely not a kids ride. About 65 miles of "the most beautiful highway in North America".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.