1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Dopers ruin sport
507 Posts
Should be an excellent classics team. Hopefully there won't be any confrontation about who's gonna be the to sprinter at the tour...

·
Registered
890 Posts
roadie92 said:
Should be an excellent classics team. Hopefully there won't be any confrontation about who's gonna be the to sprinter at the tour...
Thor is a good all-rounder but no longer shows the pure sprinting speed he may have once had. He'll be a lead-out on the Farrar train.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
I don't think roadie92 meant between Farrar and Hushovd- I think he was referring to Farrar versus Haussler...

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
From Velonation:

The 32-year-old Norwegian doesn’t see any potential conflict though, even where the two riders’ aims might be the same.

“I will be present at all the major races; that I know. We will see what will happen in the sprints when it comes.”

As a two-time winner of the green points jersey at the Tour de France though, Hushovd will not be heading to the new team to work for others. “I will not be a lead out man,” he added, “that’s not why I signed for Garmin.”

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5...rms-move-to-Garmin-Cervelo.aspx#ixzz0y7fT7mYx

Sounds like Thor is making his case for leadership known quite early on. I think he and Farrar can co-exist as they really are different types of sprinters for the Tour. Tyler is trying to take on Cav in the out-and-out bunch sprints whereas Thor tends to win selected group sprints more these days such as Barcelona 2009 and Hainut 2010. In terms of classics it is a good fit especially if Haussler comes along as well. Classic wins can often come down to numbers and tactics (except for Cancellara 2010). At Paris-Roubaix, with Hushovd in a Garmin jersey the opportunities for Farrar, Van Summeren, and even Maaskant are greater. Get up the road with Thor in the chase behind and the motivation to bring it back is greatly reduced. That exact tactic is how Devolder won Flanders twice and I doubt either win would have happened without Boonen's presence in the chase. Hushovd, Farrar, Haussler, Van Summeren, Maaskant, Hammond, Klier....that is pretty solid team for Milan-San Remo through to Paris-Roubaix!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Eric_H said:
Sounds like Thor is making his case for leadership known quite early on. I think he and Farrar can co-exist as they really are different types of sprinters for the Tour. Tyler is trying to take on Cav in the out-and-out bunch sprints whereas Thor tends to win selected group sprints more these days such as Barcelona 2009 and Hainut 2010. In terms of classics it is a good fit especially if Haussler comes along as well. Classic wins can often come down to numbers and tactics (except for Cancellara 2010). At Paris-Roubaix, with Hushovd in a Garmin jersey the opportunities for Farrar, Van Summeren, and even Maaskant are greater. Get up the road with Thor in the chase behind and the motivation to bring it back is greatly reduced. That exact tactic is how Devolder won Flanders twice and I doubt either win would have happened without Boonen's presence in the chase. Hushovd, Farrar, Haussler, Van Summeren, Maaskant, Hammond, Klier....that is pretty solid team for Milan-San Remo through to Paris-Roubaix!
Good analysis. But I'm still not sure how Farrar would feel about being on the same team with Hushovd and Haussler at M-SR, Flanders and Wevelgem (I don't think Farrar is ready to win P-R just yet). All 3 want to win those races, and all 3 are good enough to win those races. Maybe too many chiefs for the classic one-day races, but OTOH, Fabian Cancellara will have to worry about a three-headed hydra PLUS Boonen in the cobbled classics. THEN AGAIN, I think Cancellera is going to focus next season on winning Amstel, Fleche and L-B-L.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Will be interesting to see what the new Garmin will look like. I expect some retirements from their current squad. CVV would be suspect in that area.

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
fornaca68 said:
Good analysis. But I'm still not sure how Farrar would feel about being on the same team with Hushovd and Haussler at M-SR, Flanders and Wevelgem (I don't think Farrar is ready to win P-R just yet). All 3 want to win those races, and all 3 are good enough to win those races. Maybe too many chiefs for the classic one-day races, but OTOH, Fabian Cancellara will have to worry about a three-headed hydra PLUS Boonen in the cobbled classics. THEN AGAIN, I think Cancellera is going to focus next season on winning Amstel, Fleche and L-B-L.
I still don't think Cancellara has the build to win these hilly classics. Furthermore, it seems that Riis is re-shaping the Saxo Bank-Sungard team to be a grand tour powerhouse. Besides most of Cancellara's helpers for the classics are leaving or have already left the team (think O'Grady, Breschel).

As far as Garmin is concerned, I don't see Hushovd and Haussler as pure sprinters, which will probably leave Farrar as the main man for these type of finishes.
On the other hand, I don't know for how much longer Haussler and Hushovd can co-exist on the same team. Personally I'd rather see JV give Haussler all the support and allow him to develop into a champion.

My above paragraph however may be a non-issue if Haussler doesn't sign on with Garmin. Are there any rumours out yet?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I don't get how Farrar and Hushovd can co-exist on the same TdF team, given that TH doesn't want to be a lead-out man. Yes, they are different types of riders: TH can do hills, be competitive in breakaways, and heck even go out solo. TF can't. But let's say that TH is in the hunt for the green jersey and TF is solely focused on sprinting stage wins, as he always is. What does the Garmin final 1K look like on a TdF sprinter's stage? TH can't simply sit up and let Dean and TF do their thing, because TH needs every point he can get.

It will be homecoming for TH in the sense that he'll be re-united with his former lead-out man, Julian Dean. They definitely had some success together @ Credit Agricole.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Dean, Farrar, Haussler and Hushovd together give the others fits. Who do you mark? What wheel do you grab? What sort of sprint is Garmin-Cervelo going to launch? Cavendish and others have to hate this.

·
Registered
625 Posts
don't get how Farrar and Hushovd can co-exist on the same TdF team, given that TH doesn't want to be a lead-out man. Yes, they are different types of riders: TH can do hills, be competitive in breakaways, and heck even go out solo. TF can't. But let's say that TH is in the hunt for the green jersey and TF is solely focused on sprinting stage wins, as he always is. What does the Garmin final 1K look like on a TdF sprinter's stage? TH can't simply sit up and let Dean and TF do their thing, because TH needs every point he can get.
+1.

Agreed. If Hushovd is thinking both he and Farrar will be racing the TDF for the Green Jersey, then JV's got a big problem. You nailed it, if Hushovd is going to do leadouts then his Green Jersey hopes are over. Or why would they have Farrar, the second fastest sprinter on the ProTour doing leadouts?

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Lazy Spinner said:
Dean, Farrar, Haussler and Hushovd together give the others fits. Who do you mark? What wheel do you grab? What sort of sprint is Garmin-Cervelo going to launch? Cavendish and others have to hate this.
Meh, big fight for second place.

Add in Hushovd expects to go for the Green jersey, Dean thinks he's still good (he's not), Haussler wants to sprint, and Farrar now has some issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts