Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. After about 3500 miles, I'm planning to replace my chain & cassette. I currently have an 11-23 9 speed cassette with an Ultegra triple 53-39-30 crank. I usually just measure the new chain against the old one to replace the same length. If I decide to go with a 12-26 cassette, should I add a link to the chain or keep it the same? TIA

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
It depends...
You're adding one tooth. Adding one link equals two teeth.

Btw: What is the maximum number of teeth your rear derailleur allows?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
kbwh said:
It depends...
You're adding one tooth. Adding one link equals two teeth.

Btw: What is the maximum number of teeth your rear derailleur allows?
He's adding 3 teeth where it matters (23 to 26). But it still depends, on how much slack he's got now.

Put it in the bib-big combination, and see whether the derailleur is fully extended, or could it handle a chain an inch shorter. I suspect you could keep the length the same. Since you've got a triple, you probably have a long-cage derailleur, so the maximum teeth and the wrap are probably not a problem.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
JCavilia said:
it still depends, on how much slack he's got now.
Exactly.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
AlanE said:
Greetings. After about 3500 miles, I'm planning to replace my chain & cassette. I currently have an 11-23 9 speed cassette with an Ultegra triple 53-39-30 crank. I usually just measure the new chain against the old one to replace the same length. If I decide to go with a 12-26 cassette, should I add a link to the chain or keep it the same? TIA
Just size the new chain with either the big-big or little-little method, your choice.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Then I came up with one of those "I could've had a V8" moments. I installed the new cassette but left the old chain on, the big-big and small-small checked out OK, and then installed the new chain at the same length.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts