Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Racing the old cross bike at the short track races and need more tire than the Grifo. The biggest problem is keeping the bike from sliding out in dry, lose and rocky conditions. What's a good clincher with more aggressive tread and wider width?

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the pressure around the pinch flat range. I would run my tubie but, its too rough for the high $$$ carbon wheelsets and expensive tubular tires. Just need to find that right clincher for the job.

· Registered
337 Posts
Can you fit a 29x1.8 Jones XR in your frame? If not, maybe one of the Hutchinson tubeless options?

EDIT: one of the other Bonty options like the XDX or the DryX may roll a little better than the XR for racing conditions. I like my XR's on trails though.

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
justinb said:
Can you fit a 29x1.8 Jones XR in your frame? If not, maybe one of the Hutchinson tubeless options?

EDIT: one of the other Bonty options like the XDX or the DryX may roll a little better than the XR for racing conditions. I like my XR's on trails though.
I tried some Bonty Jones CXR 34c and the tread seems pretty good but the width of the 34c is really narrow, looks more like a 30c. I have had to pump them up pretty hight to keep them from bottoming out.

· Registered
337 Posts
rockdude said:
I tried some Bonty Jones CXR 34c and the tread seems pretty good but the width of the 34c is really narrow, looks more like a 30c. I have had to pump them up pretty hight to keep them from bottoming out.

Just to clarify, I'm referring to some smallish 29er MTB tires, not the Jones CX... on my Open Pros the measure somewhere in the 44mm range. If your frame can handle them you get some added traction and cush, and they're still pretty fast. On a smooth STXC course I would think you could run pressures lower than what you're running with the Grifos, especially if you set them up tubeless, which worked very well for me.

Also, the Hutchinson Bulldog/Piranha measure around 36mm tubeless on Open Pros.

· Registered
228 Posts
carlosflanders said:
The Kenda Kross Supreme is superb for loose, stony surfaces. I had it on the rear of my cross bike in my first MTB race. It was non-techical with a few sketchy loose descents. I won.

Heavy and corners like a pig though.
true...but slow rolling as hell, and God forbid it gets wet, cause they get even slower. They also have a tendency to dig into sand, and not in a good way.

I have run WTB Interwolf's for years in a 38. They no longer make the folding version-and I ain't gonna sell you a set out of my stock pile either. The wire bead version is available most everywhere, and can be found for $10-15 each. They weigh only about 60grms more than the folding, and perform very similar.

For traditional cross racing, I run my folding sets around 30psi, with tubes. They fit up way too loose to run tubeless, I have tried too. On destination races with different conditions, I go to 40-42psi. These tires roll very fast, and find traction in all conditions.

try the steel bead Sport versions-I got my last set at Nashbar for $10 each I think. Many times, they don't show up on line, but call and I imagine they'll have them,

· Registered
242 Posts
Maxxis Locust CX

comes in 34 and is a decent tire for mixed conditions. fairly large, sheds mud, corners OK. not expensive.

PS - I live in CO and ride stuff on the dry and loose Front Range and I like this tire for general use.

· Registered
228 Posts
rockdude said:
Has anyone tried the Kenda Kross Supreme? It come is a 35c and look pretty good.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/pkekro/kenda_kross_supreme/pp.htm

uuh, read the thread again.

I tried them in multiple conditions, and I thought they performed horrinly compared to the WTB Interwolf's...as I mentioned above.

Hell, I think I still have that set of Kenda's in the garage,they are 38's I believe with probably only 50 miles on them. Make me an offer and they are yours!

Personally, I wouldn't reccomend them, and I will NEVER bother mounting them up again.

So, interested?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.