Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... well I am relatively new to road cycling, I have an '05 Giant TCR Limited Comp. It is all stock so far and that is where the question lies. I have a 12-26 rear and have read on here that that is ok..... the front is my issue. It is a 36/50; can I get a larger ring and get a significant speed difference??

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
End of the compact fad.

Give this man a cigar! First post about upgrading from a stock compact to a larger rings!

To answer your question - no. Bicycle speed is almost entirely determined by the strength and fitness of the person propelling it. Unless you consistently find that riding in a 50 x 12 is "too easy" or makes you "spin out", stick with the 36/50 compact crank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...... I usually don't spin out untill decents. I carry about 19-24 mph on the flats, but when I am going downhill I am struggling to hit 40, so naturaly I thought with larger rings would come more speed...... like I said I am relatively new to road cycling so I have a lonnnnggg way to go conditioning wise.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
What need do you have to go over 40 mph on the down hills? If the hill is steep enough for you to hit 40 mph, you should be able to coast and still hit 50 or more if you get aero.
Ps. an 11 will get you the same gear as if you had a 53X12.

·
naranjito
785 Posts
what they said... if you're only doing 19 - 24 mph on the flat then you don't need a larger ring on the front, and 40 going down is not enough to need anything larger either. pedalling style and cadence is much more important than being able to turn a big gear. many people ride in a gear too big for them and can't keep on top of it - they would be faster, more efficient and would tire less in a lower gear with a higher cadence. descending is also a lot more about the way you ride than the gear you can use - maybe you can turn a 53x12 on the straight bits, but if you don't know how to corner then you'll be braking a lot going into the turns, coming out of them slowly, and will lose any advantage you gained by going faster on the straight bits. having a really high top speed is nothing if your average speed is lowered by not knowing how to descend.

foz

·
Larry Lackapants
698 Posts
I subscribe to that. Descending on a very twisting and turning road got me an average of 32 km/h downhill on a 12 km descent - with a max of 72 km/h on the one longer straight bit. Well it was the poor descending technique and the fear to hit anything coming from the opposite direction, given the fac that the road was quite narrow too... So there was no use for the 53 T big ring.

Good luck
br.

·
Registered
90 Posts
All good advice. If you aren't spinning out what you have, stick with it. I just downgraded from a 53-39 combo on my Ultegra crank to a 50/38 combo (FSA rings) and I am loving it. I would have liked to go lower on the small ring but that is the lowest you can go with 130bcd...plus I have a 12-27 out back so even the steepest hills aren't that bad.

stalter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.