Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
always right sometimes
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just watched this doc about PEDs....mainly steroid use in nearly all sports (also documents symphony musicians using "PEDs"...well sort of..) at nearly all levels. It was released in 2007 I think.

There was a scene where the writer (who has two brothers on steroids) visits with Floyd Landis (stilling claiming total innocence) and Floyd actually takes him to his backyard to show him how he got soooo strong. Answer: hyperbaric chamber

Floyd then goes on to tell him that he sleeps overnight in this manmade tube out in his backyard all the time..

Anyways, I recommend the documentary IF you want to be left feeling that there is not much wrong with steroid use etc as long as everyone is doing it....which is exactly what the doc leads you to believe...
 

·
For president!
Joined
·
7,802 Posts
From what I remember, the film disproves a lot of the stuff they teach you about steroids to scare you away from them. There haven't been scientific studies that show anger problems, organ damage or other issues. It's mostly just conventional wisdom, which may not be correct.

Worth seeing, pretty entertaining and educational.
 

·
always right sometimes
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SilasCL said:
From what I remember, the film disproves a lot of the stuff they teach you about steroids to scare you away from them. There haven't been scientific studies that show anger problems, organ damage or other issues. It's mostly just conventional wisdom, which may not be correct.

Worth seeing, pretty entertaining and educational.

Yes...there was that scene where they draw a parallel to the old "Reefer Madness" film that preached to children/adults that marijuana would make you simply go crazy.

I do remember a period of time not too long ago where it seemed as though the media was focusing on A LOT on teenage depression cases that they claimed were directly linked to steroid use. I wonder if possibly steroids affect teens in a different way than adults...

Bigger Stronger was well done in my opinion....of course with a small bias..
 

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
I happened to catch this last night as well. Some good insights into motivation for PED usage.

Edited: I just checked out the Wiki to see what happened to his brother, Mad Dog. Dead at 37 in rehab. His Mom called it during that intervie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Bell_(wrestler)

Kinda sad to watch his wife just take a back seat to the whole thing while he was being interviewed.
 

·
always right sometimes
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
empty_set said:
I happened to catch this last night as well. Some good insights into motivation for PED usage.

Edited: I just checked out the Wiki to see what happened to his brother, Mad Dog. Dead at 37 in rehab. His Mom called it during that intervie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Bell_(wrestler)

Kinda sad to watch his wife just take a back seat to the whole thing while he was being interviewed.

No way...what a shame. How did he die..I didn't read the article yet. His dad said it "would take a miracle" to save him. I guess he was right....bummer! His dreams of becoming a pro wrestler and moving to Cali at that age was a red flag for sure... Yeh, I feel for the wife, but she kinda signed up for that....:(

Was it his addiction to pain killers that took his life? I wonder how the other steroid brother is doing...the one that coached a high school football team (crazy!).

Also, I really felt like A. Shwarzenegger was a skidoosher in that doc...very slimy and weasly..
 

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
rydbyk said:
No way...what a shame. How did he die..I didn't read the article yet. His dad said it "would take a miracle" to save him. I guess he was right....bummer! His dreams of becoming a pro wrestler and moving to Cali at that age was a red flag for sure... Yeh, I feel for the wife, but she kinda signed up for that....:(

Was it his addiction to pain killers that took his life? I wonder how the other steroid brother is doing...the one that coached a high school football team (crazy!).
The obituary that was linked form the article said that toxicology reports couldn't determine the cause of death. Apparently he had a history of alcohol and painkiller usage.

I'm curious to know if there are other documentaries that delve into this issue. I'm not talking about the Bryant Gumble type of stuff but real in-depth addressing of PED's.
 

·
always right sometimes
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
empty_set said:
The obituary that was linked form the article said that toxicology reports couldn't determine the cause of death. Apparently he had a history of alcohol and painkiller usage.

I'm curious to know if there are other documentaries that delve into this issue. I'm not talking about the Bryant Gumble type of stuff but real in-depth addressing of PED's.

Good Q. The doc. sure made a case for the media hype over health and steroid use. I am wondering if there is a completely diff. side to it all.

How about that genetically doped cow......holy crap!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
This whole topic of doping, and the acceptance/hate for it prompts another question. Atleast for me.

Why is it so "bad" for atheletes to "cheat" at sports, but ok for sedenary people to "cheat" at life.
Athletes are just doping "to even the playing field" and sedentary people are just taking drugs so that they don't have to exercise more/eat less.

I know there are a lot more factors to both sides. But just the thought of why it is so bad to dope, but not to take "drugs".



Food for thought.
 

·
always right sometimes
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sdeeer said:
This whole topic of doping, and the acceptance/hate for it prompts another question. Atleast for me.

Why is it so "bad" for atheletes to "cheat" at sports, but ok for sedenary people to "cheat" at life.
Athletes are just doping "to even the playing field" and sedentary people are just taking drugs so that they don't have to exercise more/eat less.

I know there are a lot more factors to both sides. But just the thought of why it is so bad to dope, but not to take "drugs".



Food for thought.

Probably because pro athletes sign contracts that typically state that they will not use drugs. Based on this agreement, they get paid millions and pretend to have superhuman strength leading children to believe that "anything is possible" when you put your mind to it....and...well....use PEDs:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
rydbyk said:
Probably because pro athletes sign contracts that typically state that they will not use drugs. Based on this agreement, they get paid millions and pretend to have superhuman strength leading children to believe that "anything is possible" when you put your mind to it....and...well....use PEDs:thumbsup:
But in contrast, are sedentary parents who use multiple drugs to "treat" lifestyle diseases teaching their children that drugs are the answer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
BuenosAires said:
Great video. Air Force Pilots on Speed? Definitely makes you think.
In line with this, the US military has been doing this quite a while. Here's a link to an article concerning a friendly-fire accident.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,409 Posts
rydbyk said:
Anyways, I recommend the documentary IF you want to be left feeling that there is not much wrong with steroid use etc as long as everyone is doing it....which is exactly what the doc leads you to believe...
I really enjoyed BSF when I watched it last year. I didn't think it was pro steroids in any way, just trying to question the conventional wisdom about steroid side effects. I felt the movie did a good job of showing that a life of short cuts and drug use isn't a good thing, especially when you consider the post script about his brother.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top