Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHo owns one? How do you like it... I keep looking at them and am being tempted more and more...

THanks!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Don't have one but I don't like the absence of a true vestibule. Nothing like being able to store the gear outside in inclement weather.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
At $170, I'd choose one of about 75 REI offerings. This thing looks like some sort of novelty item - a solution looking for a problem.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
A solid, one-person tent is a very nice item to have for the long-haul of life, just like a three person dome tent is. Nice items to have as activities present themselves. Heck I've been sent way on business trips in the mountains where our crew was required to share cabins. A one-person tent brought me a much improved sleeping situation.

I would instead visit your nearest REI and explore. I wouldn't want a one-person tent that (1) required a bike and (2) didn't have a full vestibule.

·
Registered
73 Posts
someone did a review on this tent..its total sucks...cant sit up at all..cant cook anything in it when its raining outside, cant get it back into the slip bag to put it on the bars...and it have very poor venting...the guy said, it held so much condisation in that he felt like he was begin rained on and everything was wet in the morning...skip it....

·
Registered
577 Posts
For a one-person tent, it's hard to beat the MSR Hubba Solo tent. It's relatively cheap, has steep walls, without the fly is very open/airy, and MSR makes quality stuff.

That said, many just go with a simply fly/tarp system for solo camping as long as there aren't too many bugs about. I personally like having at least a two-person tent, but I'm 6'4" and have a hard time fitting in the smaller ones.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a two person tent, currently... Its something like 5lbs packed up, maybe 7 with the fly, or something like that. Its pretty big inside, could probably stuff the front wheel in one vestibule, and the bike in the other....Was just debating on going "ultra" small... or not. Looks like im going to be skipping this one.

I guess the other feature I like is the inability for someone to ride off on your bike... at this point in time, this seems like the only 'plus'.

·
Registered
255 Posts
BentChainring said:
I guess the other feature I like is the inability for someone to ride off on your bike...
I've read of people putting a thin wire lock round their bike and in through between the zippers on "normal" tents, so you hear the zip if someone tries to steal your bike at night.
Have you looked at hennessy hammocks as an alternative?

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
I've got the old walrus version of this tent-

http://www.mountainmagic.com/equipment/camping/tent/msr-trekker.htm

Super light, enormous vestibule and you can use the bike as a pole.

I like that it's really versatile- early/late season you can leave the bug screen behind, that huge wing is nice in the rain as well as being big enough to put a bike under, and the walrus versions are a nice forrest green so you can really disappear into the woods.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If your current twofer tent is ~7lb, you can cut it down considerabley for a reasonable price. I just finished tent shopping and saw a lot of options in the ~4.5 lb range within my limited budget. I ended up cashing in the REI 20% cupon on one that I haven`t field tested yet (so no reports). I`m pretty sure that offer is still going until the end of this month and also pretty sure that you can buy your membership and take advantage of the cupon at the same time. I`m short but I still won`t mess with a single tent because all the ones I`ve ever crawled into in the stores would force me to lay straight out like I was strapped to a gurney and I can`t sleep that way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts