Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a waste-dropoff event today, for stuff that you can't put out for regular trash collection (chemicals, medicines, electronics etc.) I had a bunch of stuff and drove over, but holy frijole the line of cars was insane. :eek: Just sat there for 20 minutes before losing patience and going home.

It's not far from the house, so I just loaded up the bike (minus the VCR) and made the best of it. The panniers were a bit unbalanced, and one corner got jammed in the tire a couple of times, so I rigged it up the best I could with some bungee cords. After getting snapped in the a$$ on the first try, managed to make it work the second time.

Rode past the long line of cars, which snaked around for about a mile, not moving much. Asked the cops directing traffic if I could ride right in, but they directed me toward a separate entrance on the other side of the lot.

"Oh so I need to walk the bike on the sidewalk over there, I guess.....?" I asked, and one cop thought about it for a second and said, "Well, nah you can ride the sidewalk...."

"Really?? That's great, thanks!" I couldn't believe a cop actually gave me permission to ride on a sidewalk :D They also thought it was a smart thing to do, riding in (damn, I'm not used to cops being NICE about the bike!!)

Off I went, riding the wide and empty sidewalk into a giant empty parking lot, past the car line again and over to another wide, empty sidewalk with no lines and no waiting at the collection points. :thumbsup:

Of course this isn't anything you moreons didn't know, but the difference b/w the car line and the walk/ride-in "line" (actually, complete lack thereof) was staggering. I wish more drivers would see the light, though admittedly riding a bike with, say, and old flat-screen TV in tow isn't so simple.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Not necessarily the same, but during peak school drop-off time on my way to work at the new building, I noticed that my average speed tends to match that of the cars idling in traffic for a 3.5 mile stretch. They would speed off when the light is green only to sit at the next signal. I maintain my speed and keep catching up. If its 50 minutes to drive or ride, I'd rather take the bike.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What; the car drivers didn't curse you out for jumping the line?!

To be honest, this was my biggest concern! It could be why they put the walk-ride-in dropoff point a good distance away from the cars'.

On the way in, I was slaloming around the cars, at one point blocked by a motorcyclist who was lane-splitting. Managed to get around it.

Took a photo of the empty dropoff after I was done, and started to ride back toward the cars for another comparison photo, but it was a bit of a hassle so I didn't bother.

I considered trying to rig up the VCR thing and riding back, maybe even take the same route past the cars in hopes that they'd see me coming back for the second trip :p but figured why tempt fate. Road rage was a given.

We've got other electronics that have to be dropped off, so that'll be a different trip........most likely with my friend who has a car and was too afraid to go today after my report!

I noticed that my average speed tends to match that of the cars idling in traffic for a 3.5 mile stretch

Another perfect example of a situation that would be greatly enhanced by cycling. There's tremendous satisfaction and a sense of fun that comes from beating all the traffic in a low-key manner.

I had to drive my nephew home last week after taking him to the museum, and we got stuck in Mets traffic. He's the one who saw our bikes and declared "bikes are dangerous!" when he was a toddler.

So I took the opportunity to give him a healthy dose of bike propaganda. "You know, if we were on bikes, you'd be home by now," I told him :D

He was like, "Oh yeah, with me in a booster seat?"

"Well, you're old enough to ride your own bike now, but yeah, if I had one of those cargo bikes, it would be SO much fun......" :p

·
Registered
93 Posts
Congratulations on the limited rewards of low-carbon transportation.
We have a fireworks event Sat night 3 weeks before Derby. They close the I65, they close a lot of exits, the whole town clogs up with parked cars. I can still ride down to Old Town Grocery or my volunteer job at the Episc Church on the bike, no problem. four blocks from the river and 1/4 mile from the bridge they put the fireworks on.
When I do go down there to watch the fireworks, I walk. Mile and a half, about 40 minutes. When the show is over, it takes the cars 2-3 hours to get out to the freeway; I'm home in 40 minutes.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I do go down there to watch the fireworks, I walk. Mile and a half, about 40 minutes. Takes the cars 2-3 hours to get out to the freeway; I'm home in 40 minutes.

Just reading about this puts a dopey grin on my face. People don't know what they're missing.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,145 Posts
Show of hands... how many here thought this was going to end with Christine getting another ticket from the NYC cops for some bicycle transgression?

I thought sure some other cop would nab her for riding on the sidewalk.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Show of hands... how many here thought this was going to end with Christine getting another ticket from the NYC cops for some bicycle transgression?

This is what I thought, amazing that these cops were nice about the bike. Maybe at that point they were sick of dealing with all the raging cagers?

·
Registered
396 Posts

*Raises hand sheepishly*

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts

Or something fell off the bike.... LITTERING! :)

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
*Raises hand sheepishly*
Don't be sheepish. I was fully expecting a ticket just for having the audacity to address a cop while on a bike.

When I was a messenger, I once rode up to a couple of cops asking for directions. One of them laughed and said, "You just rode up to me on the sidewalk to ask!" :skep: No ticket that time, though, guess it was a different era.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's hard to get photos from a flip phone, finally got this one. This is the tent for the walk/ride-ins. The car line was so long, and their drop-off so chaotic that it wasn't really worth going over there for a photo.

Road surface Street light Urban design Cylinder Waste container

Truth be told, there was some traffic: See the woman with the granny cart standing there? She was walking down the handicap ramp on the right, and I had to ride the brakes down the ramp behind her. :incazzato: :D

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The cops should write her up for that. Failing to upgrade to a decent phone.
There's no law against being a retro grouch! :rolleyes:

As long as I'm unemployed, I don't want a data plan. Love my compact little device. Makes it harder for the cops to track me as well. Don't need 'em all up in my bizness. :p

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
check out virgin mobile. it's $35/mo unlimited with no contract. they have free smartphones (i think), but i paid $150 for mine (and love it).

one of the many perks of riding a bike is passing all the traffic.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
check out virgin mobile. it's $35/mo unlimited with no contract. they have free smartphones (i think), but i paid $150 for mine (and love it).

Thanks! I like the size and ease of the flip phone as well. Have dropped it many times, never cracked a screen, for example. :thumbsup:

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,145 Posts

That's all fine and dandy as long as you're not a noted NYC bicycling gangsta and scofflaw who's trying to keep John Law from getting all up in her bizness.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Word on the street is that the tickets are expunged from your record after a year.......after the 3rd ticket, the penalty would go up to $700 per the last judge.......so maybe I'm good to ride again? :idea:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Word on the street is that the tickets are expunged from your record after a year.......after the 3rd ticket, the penalty would go up to $700 per the last judge.......so maybe I'm good to ride again? :idea:
Christine,

I'm having a very hard time trying to understand this whole getting ticketed in NYC thing... I have friends in NYC that race Alleycat ALL THE TIME and NEVER got caught by the police. They just out run them... Can't you just out run them?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts