Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dentist thinks that I need a root canal and tomorrow morning I have an appointment with an endodontist for an evaluation. His office is on my usual commuting route. Should I ride my bike to his office and appear in lycra for my evaluation? Or, should I play it safe, drive and appear dressed like a "normal person?" Also, how do you think if I took my bike into his office area rather than my chaining it up outside (his office is on the first floor of a highrise apartment building)?

I have ridden my bike to my dentist's office and to my internist's office. They are used to the bike and my cycling attire. But, I am not sure what kind of first impression I would make. Maybe I should ride my fixte, wear a ripped pair of jeans and pretend that I am a messenger -- when my wife had her root canal the cost was pretty high, maybe I can get a deal.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
MarkS said:
My dentist thinks that I need a root canal and tomorrow morning I have an appointment with an endodontist for an evaluation. His office is on my usual commuting route. Should I ride my bike to his office and appear in lycra for my evaluation? Or, should I play it safe, drive and appear dressed like a "normal person?" Also, how do you think if I took my bike into his office area rather than my chaining it up outside (his office is on the first floor of a highrise apartment building)?

I have ridden my bike to my dentist's office and to my internist's office. They are used to the bike and my cycling attire. But, I am not sure what kind of first impression I would make. Maybe I should ride my fixte, wear a ripped pair of jeans and pretend that I am a messenger -- when my wife had her root canal the cost was pretty high, maybe I can get a deal.
Can't you ride in civvies that day? In Boulder it's no big deal to be seen in lycra, but those East coast types get upset about such things I hear. If I can ride to my optometrist where he dilates my eyes and then I'm half blind on the way home you should be OK with the root canal.
 

·
Who needs a map?
Joined
·
2,527 Posts
Maybe wear a t-shirt and bring a pair of shorts to pull on over the lycra? Then you can pretend to be "normal" and still be comfortable on the bike.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bike 2 endodontist report

nonsleepingjon said:
Maybe wear a t-shirt and bring a pair of shorts to pull on over the lycra? Then you can pretend to be "normal" and still be comfortable on the bike.
This morning I was scheduled for an 8:45 a.m. "evaluation." Given that the endodontist's office is right at the half way mark on my usual commute, I decided to do my usual thing -- lycra included. There was a good place to lock up my bike near the office and when I arrived in lycra with a helmet on my head, the receptionist was great -- she knew my cycling route and knew others who rode it. The endodontist was great too -- found out that he is a runner and has a good friend who does triathalons. Then the bad part: the endodontist said that I needed the root canal right away and it just happened that a patient had cancelled an appointment and he could do it right away. Well, I then spent over three hours in the chair. I then rode to my office, which was about 7 miles away. When I arrived at the office, my secretary had a really bad look on his face -- he told me that I should go to the men's room and clean up. Well, when I looked in the mirror, I saw what he meant -- my face, which is totally numb right now, was covered in blood streaked drool. Based on what the endodontist told me and my wife's comments based on her past experience, I should be in great pain in a few hours. If the pain comes before I get the chance to ride home, my wife works nearby and will give me a ride home.
 

·
"It's alive!"
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
MarkS said:
Based on what the endodontist told me and my wife's comments based on her past experience, I should be in great pain in a few hours. If the pain comes before I get the chance to ride home, my wife works nearby and will give me a ride home.
My endondist is an artist. Two root canals with virtually no pain. I hope you had a similar experience.

- FBB
 

·
Who needs a map?
Joined
·
2,527 Posts
Nothing like showing up bloody at the office. Tomorrow you should show up with a copy of "Fight Club".

Seriously, hope you heal quickly. When I had my wisdom teeth out (years ago), they didn't pack the cotton in well enough and I had a mouthful of blood until I figured it out. Oh, the joys of dentistry.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nonsleepingjon said:
Oh, the joys of dentistry.
I'm starting to feel a little pain right now. Mrs. S said that she could pick my up at 5:00 p.m. -- about an hour from now.

There was a recent article in the New York Times about the lack of dental care in the UK. On a day like today, I sometimes think that it wouldn't be so bad to live in a country where people did not care about their teeth and I wouldn't have to worry about regular torture sessions with the dentist. On the other hand, I'm not sure that I would want to have missing teeth or dentures.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top