Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At Norman North HS the students/teachers that ride bikes on Friday will have morning snacks provided by 3 places that are donating this for bike 2 work day. This is the first year my school has provided something fun for the students so hopefully this will motivate students to consider riding more often or to start riding. Food seems to be a good starting point at the HS level. Yum Yum
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
If you are MB1 and Miss M

BOppy said:
Thursday is bike to work day, isn't it? Or is it different in different states?
. . . every day is bike to work day.

Last year I saw some information about bike to work day in Maryland, but I haven't seen anything this year. For me, bike to work day happens about two to three days per week.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
21,853 Posts
This Friday the 19th (your search engine down?).

MarkS said:
. . . every day is bike to work day.

Last year I saw some information about bike to work day in Maryland, but I haven't seen anything this year. For me, bike to work day happens about two to three days per week.
http://www.baltometro.org/mambo/content/view/258/230/

Since Arby isn't likely to be there it is incumbent upon you to provide us with an illustrated report. :D

As usual I will be reporting from DC.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,418 Posts
Thursday is officially Bike to Work day in Los Angeles. I tried to rally company support for it (with our 4000 employees), but got shut down. They weren't willing to support it because there aren't any safe routes to get to our property (not for novices, anyway).

I'm riding anyway. As I did today.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
Seach engine is fine, I'm just lazy

MB1 said:
http://www.baltometro.org/mambo/content/view/258/230/

Since Arby isn't likely to be there it is incumbent upon you to provide us with an illustrated report. :D

As usual I will be reporting from DC.
One of these days I am going to get over my camera phobia and start taking pics. But, I don't think that May 19 is going to be the day. I see that one of the suggested commuting routes follows part of my usual route. If I see anyone else out on Friday, I'll wave and give some words of encouragement. And, if there is anything significant to report, my buddies here at RBR will be the first to know.
 

· Non non normal
Joined
·
10,183 Posts
MarkS said:
One of these days I am going to get over my camera phobia and start taking pics. But, I don't think that May 19 is going to be the day. I see that one of the suggested commuting routes follows part of my usual route. If I see anyone else out on Friday, I'll wave and give some words of encouragement. And, if there is anything significant to report, my buddies here at RBR will be the first to know.

I signed up but won't be attending the nearest rally point. It seems kind of silly to ride 13 miles in the wrong direction to commute to work. You get a free t shirt or something by attending. I do think the numbers help the cause for getting the attention of road planners and politicians.


You can sign up but not attend.
 

· Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,415 Posts
Too bad not driving a car is heresy is Southern California. I might see a few more bikes on my commute.



joe
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,418 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Too bad not driving a car is heresy is Southern California. I might see a few more bikes on my commute.

joe
With fuel prices the way they are, you'd think that would change.

Unfortunately, everyone I know in LA lives 30 - 40 miles away from the office. Nice little warm-up ride for me, but too much for a casual newbie.
 

· "It's alive!"
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
magicant said:
Thursday is officially Bike to Work day in Los Angeles. I tried to rally company support for it (with our 4000 employees), but got shut down. They weren't willing to support it because there aren't any safe routes to get to our property (not for novices, anyway).

I'm riding anyway. As I did today.
I did a bit of rallying. My employer is providing juice and fruit (woohoo!) to anyone who gets to work via human power tomorrow.

I'm riding 33 miles each way. I'm pretty sure I'll have strength left to eat the fruit when I get to work, but I'm not sure I'll have the strength left to eat dinner when I get home.

Wish me luck,

Forbes "Fat and Out of Shape" B-Black
 

· Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good Luck

Here is wishing you good luck on your longish commute. The students will see me Friday just like all the other days. Maybe some student will start riding more or start to ride after seeing how fun a commute can be.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
magicant said:
With fuel prices the way they are, you'd think that would change.

Unfortunately, everyone I know in LA lives 30 - 40 miles away from the office. Nice little warm-up ride for me, but too much for a casual newbie.
And to think I whine about my 25 mile round trip...

I'm such a _-_-y :)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
611 Posts
fbagatelleblack said:
I did a bit of rallying. My employer is providing juice and fruit (woohoo!) to anyone who gets to work via human power tomorrow.

I'm riding 33 miles each way. I'm pretty sure I'll have strength left to eat the fruit when I get to work, but I'm not sure I'll have the strength left to eat dinner when I get home.

Wish me luck,

Forbes "Fat and Out of Shape" B-Black
Wow, makes my 18 miles each way seem pretty tame. Wasn't too bad here in SoCal at 6am. Foggy and 62. The ride home, OTOH, should be in the 85-90 range...

Jim
 

· "It's alive!"
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Seamus said:
Wow, makes my 18 miles each way seem pretty tame. Wasn't too bad here in SoCal at 6am. Foggy and 62. The ride home, OTOH, should be in the 85-90 range...

Jim
Yup. That marine layer is mighty nice for keeping things cool in the morning. I made it to work, and I'm feeling pretty good. Keep your fingers crossed for me on the way home.

Yours,

Forbes "Not 22 Years Old Any More" B-Black
 

· Have good, get give
Joined
·
964 Posts
Pretty sure tomorrow will jump start my new resolution to BTW. It's 14 miles one way and of that only the last 1.5 miles has any traffic on it whatsoever. No excuses.

Meeting at a rally point that is actually on my route in. One dude rides an electric scooter or something like that from his house the whole way in. Not sure what that's gonna be like to ride with exactly.

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this, but what do you do for towels? I'm talking to the ones that have to provide your own and return with it at the end of the day. How do you make this work well? Is there a brand of towel that's thin small and still does the job?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this said:
Here in Colorado Springs Bike week is June 14th through 24 with a bike to work breakfast on June 14th. I have not heard anything about a bike day in May.

Towels... I don't deal with them for commuting but I have one that is for backpacking and is light weight small and quick drying and pretty good with smells. I can't remember the manufacturer but any good outfitter should have something similar.
 

· "It's alive!"
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
culdeus said:
Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this, but what do you do for towels? I'm talking to the ones that have to provide your own and return with it at the end of the day. How do you make this work well? Is there a brand of towel that's thin small and still does the job?
I keep a towel at work. It is draped over my file cabinet right now, sorta' hidden behind a book case so's it don't look to tacky to the folks walking by my office. I have a little fan blowing air across it so it will dry quickly and I can tuck it away in a drawer soon.

But, if you need to carry it with you, you might check out www.campmor.com or REI. See if they have superlight backpacking towels. I'll bet they do!

Good luck,

FBB
 

· Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
I've been commuting since last year at least a couple times a week. 15 miles each way with a couple of nice hills thrown in. The first half is on frontage roads with the second half on a two lane country road. It really is a great commute in the Monterey Bay area. I typically bring my work clothes the day before and leave them in the lockers provided.. My towel I leave at work. If I plan on riding on consecutive days, I need to plan a little more carefully to be sure I have my clothes squared away and ready on the last day of driving in.
I can't imagine not riding into work on a regular basis. This morning we had a small group of 4 from my work that rode in together. The Fox Racing HQ is on the way in and they sponsor a breakfast every year for any commuters. Very cool :thumbsup:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Interestingly enough, today for Bike to Work week, a reporter for one of the local news channels (Fox 2 Detroit) rode to work today. Apparently, it was a 20ish mile trip, and to help her with riding in traffic, a couple of experienced riders accompanied her. The best part was that the traffic 'copter was providing live coverage of her progress about every 10 minutes. They also talked a bit about cars sharing the roads with cyclists, but on the downside, she did ride on the sidewalk at times... At the very least, I can't think of better exposure for cyclists than that! :thumbsup:

It's too bad that I won't be able to participate in Bike to Work day tomorrow. I am still awaiting the arrival of a new rear wheel to replace the one that self-destructed the other day (it's not worth rebuilding...) :mad:
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top