Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have been mountain biking for a while.... but I am thinking about picking up a road bike because I have always wanted to and because if I could ride to work that would be awesome!

Some people have recommended cross bikes... I am not really interested in that. I strictly want a road bike.... something that I can jam pretty fast on to commute to work.

The rotue to work will be about 1/2 road and 1/2 bike path.... somewhere between 14-15 miles each way depending on the route I decide on... my only concern is the durability of the wheels on the road?? I am not sure if this should be a concern or not... I am just used to heavy mountain bike wheels and tires.... so maybe if you could give me some newbie advice on getting or buying a bike equipped with a wheelset durable enough for this commute. I do not need the lightest racing wheelset known to man... and would like to keep it on the cheaper end.

I have been thinking about getting a bianchi nirone (105/ultegra) ..... this seems decently equipped for the price.... any recommendations on new bikes under $1800ish.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Are your roads especially bad?

Are you going to be pounding through potholes constantly? Are you very large/heavy? If you're an average-sized guy riding average-condition roads, pretty much anything will do. It's what road bikes are made for (i.e., riding on roads). The wheels that come on any bike in that price range will work fine. Durability is not really an issue. The comparison to mountain bike wheels is misleading, since they're made for the very different demands of off-road riding.

So find a bike that fits and feels and looks good to you.

And you're right; riding to work is awesome.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I have nothing to worry about for wheels, what is the most durable groupo (105, ultegra, etc.)?

(My guess, as a non road biker, is that dura-ace is lighter and operates better initially but does not last as long?)

(again, all i have to draw on is mountain bike experience where XT is probably the most durable, but not the lightest/best for racing)

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Get a roadbike that fits your price. If you look in the 1500 range, Im going to guess you will have some type of low end alex type rims. Sell them or hang them for backups or for trainer wheels. If you order online, order some wheels too. Get some 32x Ultegra laced to Open Pros. I would estimate you could get those around $300. I have found those to be pretty damn rock-sturdy wheels for the price. There are arguably more solid nukeproof wheels out there, but you will pay nicely for them.

I would say this would more than meet your needs, unless you are uber-big.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
+1 on the 32 spoke ultegra/open pro wheels.

For commuting, you don't need heavy, but you do need hard to break and easy to fix. I'd avoid anything that requires special spokes or that needs to be sent back to the factory to be trued. If you've got a good bike shop in yer town, have them hand build you a pair of wheels- they might be able to match your weight, intended use and other variables into a bulletproof set of wheels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.