Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a support group for bike-a-holics such as myself?
I really need help.
I just put down $1600 on a brand new Campagnolo Record groupset (cranks and BB included)
Did I really need it? My old Ultegra goupset that came with my bike only has 8000 km on it. Of course I kept on using the excuse that my FSA SL-K cranks and/or MegaExo bottom bracket keeps on making ticking noises but did I really need a brand new Campy Record groupset?
It's too late now since the stuff is already paid for and will be shipped on Monday.
To make things worse, my GF is really happy for me. She's not only happy she's jealous. So you see my predicament? I can't get any support from her.

Are there any other freaks like me out there? Am I alone? Heeeeelp!

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,897 Posts
I know one and from what I've seen, there's no hope for you. He had a Bianchi 928 but did't like it so, he bought .....I forget. At the same time the Litespeed Sienna was on sale somewhere and he couldn't pass that up so, he bought that too. He still has the Sienna but the other bike has been replaced by a Cervello R3 loaded to the nines including Zipp carbon wheels and Zero Gravity brake which are about 1/3 as effective in stopping a bike as my Campy Centaurs that I bought on close out for $42.00/set. All said, he's a nice man and a good friend of 40+ years. So, how does he get away with it? He's 56, never been married, never will be, although he often rides with a 44 year old total babe. Sometimes I wonder,as a cyclist, if he knows something that we don't.

I'm a drunk, not an alcoholic. Alcoholics have to go to them damn meetings."
Robin Harris

·
Registered
117 Posts
it just gets worse. when you think you have everything you see something else you need but really don't need. a bike, a wheel, a seat, a jersey, a you get what i mean. i have only 5 bikes but each has a purpose i tell myself, then each bike needs a upgrade. there is no end to this madness. good luck!

·
Registered
382 Posts
more reasons

1. When 10 miles is to many and a 100 miles isn't enough.
2. A change in personality when wearing lycra
3. Keep promising to take a rest but never do
4. Abusing a credit card to make your bike a little lighter or a little faster
5. Your friends and family think your nuts (personally, I just think they don't get it).

·
fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
MG537 said:
I really need help.
I just put down $1600 on a brand new Campagnolo Record groupset (cranks and BB included)
Did I really need it? My old Ultegra goupset that came with my bike only has 8000 km on it. Of course I kept on using the excuse that my FSA SL-K cranks and/or MegaExo bottom bracket keeps on making ticking noises but did I really need a brand new Campy Record groupset?
It's too late now since the stuff is already paid for and will be shipped on Monday.
To make things worse, my GF is really happy for me. She's not only happy she's jealous. So you see my predicament? I can't get any support from her.

Ya, know that new group is completely useless without these--

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
MG537 said:
I really need help.

You forgot to tell her you're building HER a bike with your old parts.

Get with the program!!

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
I have a groupset hidden away in my closet just "in case" my bad weather bike components finally fail. I just hope the cops don't find my stash when they raid my house looking for the illegal bears to ride all those bicycles...

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Yeah, you really are at the low end of the addiction. I have 4 Colnagos (3 built with 2007 Record and one just a frame for now), a 2005 Bianchi FG Lite built with 2008 Record, a 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 built with 2008 Veloce/Centaur, a 20 year old steel Mino Denti built with 1985 Super Record, and pairs of Zipp 202's, Zipp 303's, Zipp 404's, Zipp 808's, 2006 Campy Eurus, a Zipp Disk and 4 sets of old school Campy Record/Victory rims built on Super Record, C Record, and 2007 Record hubs. 3 new Record chains and a 2008 Record skeleton brakeset came in today's mail to sit along side the spare 2008 Record front and rear derailleurs that are waiting for a Colnago C50 frame this winter. I also have 4 sets of spare old school Record/Victory rims sitting in the garage just in case I should ever need them. There are two bike stands and a wheel truing stand in the garage along with an entire tool chest full of bike tools.

Oh yeah, I also have a Gary Fisher MTB in the garage.

Believe me, your addiction is far from full blown. Turn back while you have the chance. Sell the Record group to me and leave your problems behind. By the way, $1,600 for a Record groupset is a pretty darn good price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.