Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone -
I'm new to the Bike Forum and would love some advice on purchasing a new frame. I rode an Orbea Orca for about 1.5 years and generally enjoyed it, although it was my first light carbon frame. After the frame cracked, I got a bit frustrated with Orbea and have decided to go with a new bike.

I'm an aggressive recreational rider, on the bike around 150-200miles a week in season, and thinking about doing some racing. Looking for a zippy frame that is quick and responsive, but also solid/comfortable over a century. Probably carbon or maybe titanium with a price tag under $4,000 for frame and fork.

Definitely open to recommendations, but three that I've been looking at specifically are the Colnago C50 or CLX, the DeRosa Idol, and the Wilier Le Roi. (also looked at Parlee & Look)

Any sharing of experiences or advice would be much appreciated.

·
Reality Star
893 Posts
Check this out. Similar to the frames sold by De Rosa, Colnago and Wilier, but with more cache. I have seen the frame available for under $3000. Read the thread and think about it.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=167037

My new Cinelli build
My new baby in Tuttarossa Red, Record 11, 3T Ergonova Bars and ARX Team Stem, Selle Italia SLC saddle, Look Carbon pedals, HED Ardennes wheels.

This is my dream bike and it rides like a dream.
Attached Images

·
Registered
324 Posts
A Colnago Extreme Power would be perfect - and at the current prices in the US, well within your price range. The CX-1/CLX has had some good reviews but to me, if you're gonna buy a Colnago, just get an Italian one...

A c50 is a great ride - particularly for long rides but you might miss the stiffness... I'm on an EPS and love it.

Best thing about Colnago's is the available size range. Easy to get a great fit.

The Idol looks sweet but has been reported to be a noodle so i'd avoid that - better off with a Neo Pro or King if you want a De Rosa.

Personally don't like the Willier - but each to their own.

I'd also look at a Time VXRS - beautiful bike/ride/quality - expensive though.

The Parlee Z4 has had good reviews as an allround bike. I just think they look a bit boring.

Otherwise save up another $800 and buy a Custom Crumpton SL - Beautiful.

·
Two wheels=freedom!
708 Posts
The C50 is the swiss army knife of elite bikes. It just does everything really well, while not being superlative in any one area. I road one and was amazed at how it just felt "right". For a recreational rider who MIGHT go racing, it's a great choice. If you WILL go racing, then the EPS might be better.

I have not ridden the others, so I cannot comment.

I have ridden a Parlee and it was also a great ride, stiffer and maybe a bit more agile than the Colnago's.

I own a Colnago MXL, and with their design philosophy, I was able to feel right at home on a similar sized C50, so that may have tainted my opinion a bit. But, geeze, the C50 just seems like such a great all around bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks to everyone so far for you comments. Very helpful. Checking out a few of your recommendations this evening.

Per the one question about Orbea. I won't give the whole story, but I was not happy with the customer service (several months of back and forth) and they only offered me a crash replacement price on a new frame. I tipped over at 3 miles per hour and the crack was in the top tube...not a collision. Anyway, I also recently got an updated fitting and I don't think the Orbea is a great fit now...bottom bracket is too meaty for my ride style.

Thanks!
Ross

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Sorry to say, no manufacturer will warranty a frame damaged by a fall, regardless of how slow you were going. The bike could have been propped against a fence and fallen over and they won't warranty it. Warranties are for defects in materials or workmanship, not damage from falling over. Frames like the Orca are very light and, while not delicate, they can be damaged when subjected to a load they're not designed to handle. They will handle stresses of very aggressive riding because that's what they're designed for. Falling is a different story. This is particularly true for carbon fiber frames because manufacturers can manipulate carbon fiber in ways that steel, alu and ti frames cannot be manipulated. This gives them the ability to make quite strong and light frames but strong for their intended use and more susceptible to damage when stressed in an unintended way.

Regarding your choices. They're all great frames and manufacturers but I'm sure you'll find one that will fit better than the others. Go with the one that fits best. Also, take a look at Look and BMC, two of my current favorites.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts