Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bike aesthetics question...poll inside

Sorry no pic...but here's the question:

black bike
white saddle
white hoods

What color tape? White or black? Or white/black like this. I saw some white hoods on black tape on TdF and am not sure I like the look.

Alternatively, I could change out the white hoods to black and still have the question of what tape. Place your votes people.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I like the Fizik 2 color tape and with the white hoods the black and white would look good. Only problem is hoods will be gray in a short period of time.

·
Never Give Up!
1,232 Posts
Black hoods and white tape for me

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm kind of surprised there's not more love for the dual white/black tape. that is what i was leaning towards.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
The white hoods are gonna look grungy unless you clean them all the time. So why not white tape, too, to go for the total grunge-look front end.

Or what wooglin said; I like that, too.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, i don't really want two bikes with red tape and streamers though...that may be a bit of overkill. people may get the wrong idea.

i'm really now considering black hoods & black tape. got a good deal on shifters but could only get the white hoods. even replacing them, they're a good deal.

thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Black stays looking black all year long. It works well for the vast majority of us.

If you have a guy from the team mechanic's bus who takes your bike off you, to have it magically re-appear with clean tape for the bike's next public appearance, you can have any colour your sponsor insists on.

Unless, of course, you can pay a little man to come round to your mansion and change your coloured tape every time it gets a little grubby ;)

For the rest of us, reality is best listened to. I used to ride Cinelli padded gel tape but - and I really hate to admit this - T&*$'s version of gel tape is just as comfortable and much cheaper.

D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well...black on black took a convincing lead after it looked like the all white was going to run away with it. thanks for everyone's votes. the new plan will be all black with only a few polished aluminum (silver) accents.

thanks again!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
While I like the look of the white saddle and white tape, the practicality of black wins out for me. Not in favor of white hoods.

·
Registered
452 Posts
c_kyle said:
Replace soontobe whitish-brown saddle w/ black saddle and black bar tape/hoods.
^^^ This.

I went all black after only 500 miles on a white saddle and white bar tape. Both started to look like crap and I couldn't see myself spending the time/effort to clean them.

Plus, the saddle was a Bontrager-approved torture device, so I had no problem getting rid of it!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I only like a front end white out on certain types of bikes, like mid 80s thin tubed steel bikes. Or thin tubed classic looking Italian bikes.

I think white tape looks better than white hoods. I'd go white saddle, white tape, black hoods.

As for gettin' it dirty...I have white bar tape that is a year old and ridden around 4000 miles. Still looks nice and new. I wash it about once a week with a wet rag with some dish soap. On another bike I have white hoods. They are also about a year old and look brand new. Hudz don't seem to pick up dirt.

White saddles will show rub marks, if that happens to you, but again, I have no problem with any of my white saddles getting dirty.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I shave my head so I don't have to worry about combing my hair...I don't like maintence for the sake of looks. I decided all black. Pick up my replacement hoods at lunch today.

Thanks to all for the reality check!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
seemana said:
I shave my head so I don't have to worry about combing my hair...I don't like maintence for the sake of looks. I decided all black. Pick up my replacement hoods at lunch today.

Thanks to all for the reality check!
Best make sure the saddle is black too then or the Cycling Gods will be displeased!!

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
yes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts